The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A kennel in Carbon County, PA is being closed and 90+ Labradors of all ages...

Ditto what John says!!!
    It is what it is..............
    Last edited by Whistler; 09-26-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: missed a word

Forgot to mention: Most of these breeders have some hired help. Jay Ammon of Montclair Yorkies (top Yorkie Show breeder of all time) had 40 yorkies. Dogs were always clean and the indoor kennel was always clean. She was widowed and had $$$. She had a groomer who came in twice a week and between the two of them all dogs were fully groomed once a week in the span of two days. She also had a kennel cleaner come in twice a week to deep clean (scrub all floors on hands and knees) and in between floors were mopped twice a day and outdoor kennel deck hosed and bleached. People with other less high.maintenance breeds often hire someone to help with the dogs every day.. Also if they have kids the kids help.out a lot too.

John is 100% correct and I agree with him.
    You take 10 minutes a day to exercise a dog, 3 x a day and this equals 30 minutes and times 90 dogs it would take 45 hours to exercise all of them - so how much attention did these dogs get a day?????
    trog
    trog

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    You can't sugar coat it, so stop trying......

john
    Nobody is sugar coating anything. I simply explained how a person winds up with as many dogs as some do. Most people here have NEVER actually known anyone with more than 10 dogs and so it is very easy to make assumptions about the care and condition of animals in said persons care. People are far too quick to judge without any facts. Just because YOU couldnt take care of x many dogs doesnt mean another person doesnt have the resources to do so (such as hired help and lack of other employment that would take them away from the dogs). Granted this doesnt mean all larger kennels are well kept with good care to the dogs but numbers alone doesnt = neglect.
    Ive worked in a 100 dog boarding kennel. 1 person for every 40 dogs.
    As a 12 year old girl I was the kennel help for Jay Ammon that I mentioned above.
    I have kennel sat for 75 dogs before including pups. You can bet your a$$ it IS possible for 1 person to take care of that many dogs. It isnt fun and is tiresome but thats me.

Sorry John. We know you are not a breeder and have a strictly pet person mentality. That is not a bad thing except when you try and say how one should run their kennel. Its like a show person telling a field trialer how to train for field trials.
    You make your statements based on emotion and not facts.

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by BirdNMouth View Post
    Nobody is sugar coating anything. I simply explained how a person winds up with as many dogs as some do. Most people here have NEVER actually known anyone with more than 10 dogs and so it is very easy to make assumptions about the care and condition of animals in said persons care. People are far too quick to judge without any facts. Just because YOU couldnt take care of x many dogs doesnt mean another person doesnt have the resources to do so (such as hired help and lack of other employment that would take them away from the dogs). Granted this doesnt mean all larger kennels are well kept with good care to the dogs but numbers alone doesnt = neglect.
    Ive worked in a 100 dog boarding kennel. 1 person for every 40 dogs.
    As a 12 year old girl I was the kennel help for Jay Ammon that I mentioned above.
    I have kennel sat for 75 dogs before including pups. You can bet your a$$ it IS possible for 1 person to take care of that many dogs. It isnt fun and is tiresome but thats me.

Sorry John. We know you are not a breeder and have a strictly pet person mentality. That is not a bad thing except when you try and say how one should run their kennel. Its like a show person telling a field trialer how to train for field trials.
    You make your statements based on emotion and not facts.
    Agreed, we have 40-60 dogs here (sometimes a few more). They get tons of time and attention. 99% of the time, you can hear a pin drop out here because they're relaxed and happy. Is it the same as being one or one of 5-6 dogs in a home, no. But they are happy and well-adjusted just the same... It can be done, it does take a lot of time and usually money also... And people who truly care. If one of those things is missing, it can be a disaster...

Does anyone have a link to any details about this story??

My only point was that the OP said something about clearances probably NOT being done....I just wanted to point out that that may not be the case in this story. Apparently one of the vets that is attending to the dogs say they appear to be healthy and good tempered.
    Yes, 90 dogs may be too many......The breeder is in Jail for legal issues, not animal abuse

Quote Originally Posted by trog View Post
    John is 100% correct and I agree with him.
    You take 10 minutes a day to exercise a dog, 3 x a day and this equals 30 minutes and times 90 dogs it would take 45 hours to exercise all of them - so how much attention did these dogs get a day?????
    trog
    Most show people excersize the dogs in groups or they have constant access to larger areas and are allowed to excersize at will. Dogs can get plenty of excersize jusy playing with each other. When you have that many dogs in a kennel even individual runs they do NOT lay around doing nothing as one may assume. They are constantly stimulated and runaround far more than a house dog.
    For group excersize: groups of 10 dogs for ten minutes. Thats 50 dogs in 50 minutes. So in 2 hours you can excersize 100 dogs. In 4 hours a day you can give 100 dogs 20 minutes of vigorous excersize a day.
    Last edited by BirdNMouth; 09-26-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added example

Okie Dokie...

Thing is, regardless of what happened and why this ended up the way it did... 90 plus dogs could still use some help. Thats really all this thread was about. The 90 plus dogs that could use a little help to make it into a good new home.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Public News report
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...Lehighton.html

I have been told by someone that I referred to the contact person that the "situation is unresolved" , appears that not all of the dogs on the property are hers so they don't know who is adoptable and who is not.

Marissa
    I agree, that is the point, when the situation gets resolved there will be a bunch of labs that need homes. I will post up info as I hear it. I did want to point out about the clearances possibly NOT being an issue, as it makes these dog potentially more adoptable, not to cut you down.......