The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: choke chain vs prong

Default choke chain vs prong

differences and advantages?

From what I've seen, pinch collars are for the ones that don't work on a slip collar. The only dogs I've seen in classes with the pinch were really high drive and are too big for their owner, or very disobedient dogs. A slip collar should work if you learn to use it correctly.

Pinch collar is the only way to go. It takes just one snap from a pinch collar to teach them exactly what you are looking for. Careful with the real soft dogs, but I have used it on nearly every dog that comes in for training and they will have OB down within a week.
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com

Pinch collar gets my vote.
    ________
    Mike

Pinch collar gets my vote also. They won't fight against it like a choke and the chokes can cause damage if not used properly

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtrainer4God View Post
    Pinch collar is the only way to go. It takes just one snap from a pinch collar to teach them exactly what you are looking for. Careful with the real soft dogs, but I have used it on nearly every dog that comes in for training and they will have OB down within a week.
    I second that! Got my pro to use a pinch after 30 years of choke chains and now he uses one regularly.

I go with pinch collars. Labs are too willing to choke themselves and simply get used to pulling on the lead. Pinch collars teach them not to pull on the lead very quickly.

Read the link by SamLab1. A trainer told me about the study a number of years ago and I dropped my jaw - I do not use a choke collar for training anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie B View Post
    Read the link by SamLab1. A trainer told me about the study a number of years ago and I dropped my jaw - I do not use a choke collar for training anymore.
    where can I find it?