The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Afraid to Vote??

Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    And Jeff, why abandon the idea of a standing Army? Why not instead abandon the welfare system? We as a country get something from the Army, protection. What do we as a country get from welfare?
    The Democrats get VOTES!!!!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    The Democrats get VOTES!!!!!!

RK

Yea, Yea, I know. Was just hoping for some logic as to why he picked the Army.
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Yea, Yea, I know. Was just hoping for some logic as to why he picked the Army.

Because he loathes the military and all it stands for.
    I will get accosted for saying that, but over time you will see what I mean.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    But how do you feel about them putting it off until after the election? That is the issue that has been brought up twice. I think they are chickening out and, once again, afraid to stand for the right thing to do now that they may be facing unemployment like 10% of the rest of the country.
    Well, if you are looking at being afraid to vote, you must be talking about the Republican leadership in the Senate. Otherwise they would not have promised to filibuster any bill that preserves the tax cuts for those earning under $250k while allowing others to expire. Allow an up or down vote on that and I suspect it would pass tomorrow with a lot of Republican votes. Large majorities of the public would like to see tax cuts extended for those earning under $250k and are not interested in having tax cuts extended for those earning more. Why won't Republicans allow a vote on that option?

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Well, if you are looking at being afraid to vote, you must be talking about the Republican leadership in the Senate. Otherwise they would not have promised to filibuster any bill that preserves the tax cuts for those earning under $250k while allowing others to expire. Allow an up or down vote on that and I suspect it would pass tomorrow with a lot of Republican votes. Large majorities of the public would like to see tax cuts extended for those earning under $250k and are not interested in having tax cuts extended for those earning more. Why won't Republicans allow a vote on that option?
    Why punish people that earn a good living?

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Not sure the Republicans can ALLOW a vote on anything. They are the minority. For now.

And I think you must have forgotten about the 34 dems who said they would vote against letting the tax cuts expire. Thats why they aren't voting on it.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

RK
    To still your line, Because they're DEMOCRATS. Thats how a democrat believes in getting rich, let someone else do it for me.

My preference would be to have them extended .....
    By "...have them extended..." are you referring to the Bush tax cuts?

Surely you intended to say '...delay the Bush tax increases...'

fp
    www.BayouMagicRetrievers.com
    FC AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH "Roux"
    Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu QAA "Bleu"
    Bayou Magic's Dave Robicheaux QAA "Burke"
    Bayou Magic's Cletus Purcell (Knucklehead Puppy)

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." -- George Herman Ruth

And Jeff, why abandon the idea of a standing Army? Why not instead abandon the welfare system? We as a country get something from the Army, protection. What do we as a country get from welfare?
    Sounds like a solution in the making. Why abandon either. Combine them. Make all welfare recipients perform some support mission for the military, even if its picking up trash and planting flowers on post. If they're able bodied, sign 'em up! Waive education and criminal record restrictions. Who better with guns on the front line than illiterate criminals with a bad attitude?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

RK
    Allowing a vote isn't "punishing" anyone. Every Senator would be perfectly free to vote against the bill extending middle class cuts knowing that would result in automatic increases for everyone based on the bills pushed through by Bush in 2001 and 2003. Anyone who wants is also free to submit an alternative bill to extend all cuts. However, there aren't enough committee votes to get that through.

Not sure the Republicans can ALLOW a vote on anything. They are the minority. For now.

And I think you must have forgotten about the 34 dems who said they would vote against letting the tax cuts expire. Thats why they aren't voting on it.
    41 votes in the Senate is all it takes to prevent a vote. Republicans have that many votes and have promised a filibuster against any bill that extends only some of the cuts. There is not question that such a bill would receive a majority vote if a vote were permitted. Given that I would much rather see all of the taxes cuts expire than see all of them be extended, I am perfectly happy with a stalemate.