The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Afraid to Vote??

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Allowing a vote isn't "punishing" anyone. Every Senator would be perfectly free to vote against the bill extending middle class cuts knowing that would result in automatic increases for everyone based on the bills pushed through by Bush in 2001 and 2003. Anyone who wants is also free to submit an alternative bill to extend all cuts. However, there aren't enough committee votes to get that through.

41 votes in the Senate is all it takes to prevent a vote. Republicans have that many votes and have promised a filibuster against any bill that extends only some of the cuts. There is not question that such a bill would receive a majority vote if a vote were permitted. Given that I would much rather see all of the taxes cuts expire than see all of them be extended, I am perfectly happy with a stalemate.

Looks like the Deomcrat controlled house is siding with the 15%.

Nothing new!!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Looks like the Deomcrat controlled house is siding with the 15%.

Nothing new!!!!

RK
    And the Republicans are trying to force their opinions on the 59% that disagree.

And the Republicans are trying to force their opinions on the 59% that disagree.
    Then why don't the Democrats force a vote???
    Embarrass the Republicans and kick dey azzzez in November????

I mean, who is shutting down congress early??

Boehner??

Nope........

Pelosi!!!

YEP!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

Boehner??

Nope........

Pelosi!!!

YEP!!!

RK

That was exactly my point to Jeff. He just danced around it by saying that the republicans would filibuster any vote. When in fact, they can't stop a vote from happening. And you make a good point RK, vote on the damn things, and let the chips fall were they may. The reason they don't is because they are gonna lose enough seats as it is. If they voted prior to the election, boy it would be bad.
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Allowing a vote isn't "punishing" anyone. Every Senator would be perfectly free to vote against the bill extending middle class cuts knowing that would result in automatic increases for everyone based on the bills pushed through by Bush in 2001 and 2003. Anyone who wants is also free to submit an alternative bill to extend all cuts. However, there aren't enough committee votes to get that through.

41 votes in the Senate is all it takes to prevent a vote. Republicans have that many votes and have promised a filibuster against any bill that extends only some of the cuts. There is not question that such a bill would receive a majority vote if a vote were permitted. Given that I would much rather see all of the taxes cuts expire than see all of them be extended, I am perfectly happy with a stalemate.

And why are you posting polls? If you go by this as rationale for not voting, then why was healthcare voted on, when clearly the majority of the people wanted them to wait?

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    And why are you posting polls? If you go by this as rationale for not voting, then why was healthcare voted on, when clearly the majority of the people wanted them to wait?
    Because it clearly depended on which day you asked them and how you phrased the question, with polls showing anywhere from two-thirds support to two-thirds opposition in the weeks leading up to the vote. Even now, if you add those who support the bill to those who oppose it because it didn't go far enough, you end up with around 50% of the electorate. The opposition has always seemed bigger when seen out of the "right" eye than in reality.

BTW, the premise of this whole thread was that the Democrats were "afraid" to allow a vote. The fact is that the Repubicans are afraid to allow a vote in the Senate because they know that the Democrat proposal would pass and they know that the House would then go along.
    Last edited by YardleyLabs; 09-28-2010 at 03:38 PM.

If the Rs were smart they'd compromise: keep the tax cuts for under $250K; let the FIT increase for those earning over $250K; BUT keep the capital gains taxes at a reasonably lower level than the FIT for all earnings levels.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    Yea, Yea, I know. Was just hoping for some logic as to why he picked the Army.

Boehner??

Nope........

Pelosi!!!

YEP!!!

RK

Dodged, Dodged.....Guess you guys our on mental ignore

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDogRem View Post
    Dodged, Dodged.....Guess you guys our on mental ignore
    I guess your right. I liked Dave's answer and would support it 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Any time you want to have a civil discussion, I'm more that willing to listen.

Besides, I wasn't logged in, so your post popped up unblocked.
    How did you respond if you were not logged in??

RK
    Stan b & Elvis