The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do YOU choose?

Default How do YOU choose?

With just under a month to go, how do you decide which Senatorial/House candidate to vote for?
    Ie;
    Party line? "If they're a "D" (/"R/L/G/CP... ") they're for me."
    Incumbent or not? "Throw all the bums out!"
    Primary issue or overall package? "Yeah, he/she made a mistake "here" but overall..." "If they don't commit to repealling Obamacare..."
    Strict Constitutionalists or not?

Personally, my first requirement is the 2nd Amendment. If you don't trust me with my gun, then I don't trust you with my vote. If both/all candidates pass...
    Then comes privacy/freedom of speech, this Big Bro/Sis warrant-less snooping & spying on citizens "Americans have no expectation of privacy" has got to stop. Included imo, is this mandatory provision of health care "reform" subject to criminal penalty.
    Then down the line of issues important to me/my family.

Not asking who you'll vore for, but what say you?
    What trips your trigger/not?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Does this candidate want more of my money for his agenda, via more taxes, including income, property and/or small business? Is the candidate in favor of more entitlement programs, increasing the ones we already have, funding assorted government boondoggles and bigger government making decisions for me in general? The first two are the deciders for me and those candidates are usually pro Constitution, whether it be 2nd Amendment or other issues personally important to me. I'm willing to vote for someone I disagree with on some things, for example didactic religious beliefs, if the big picture is less government and fiscal responsibility.

I am more concerned with issues of morality. I say that I vote my conscience before my wallet. I honestly believe that if we stick closer to traditional Christian values, then everything else will straighten itself out in time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    With just under a month to go, how do you decide which Senatorial/House candidate to vote for?
    Ie;
    Party line? "If they're a "D" (/"R/L/G/CP... ") they're for me."
    Incumbent or not? "Throw all the bums out!"
    Primary issue or overall package? "Yeah, he/she made a mistake "here" but overall..." "If they don't commit to repealling Obamacare..."
    Strict Constitutionalists or not?

Personally, my first requirement is the 2nd Amendment. If you don't trust me with my gun, then I don't trust you with my vote. If both/all candidates pass...
    Then comes privacy/freedom of speech, this Big Bro/Sis warrant-less snooping & spying on citizens "Americans have no expectation of privacy" has got to stop. Included imo, is this mandatory provision of health care "reform" subject to criminal penalty.
    Then down the line of issues important to me/my family.

Not asking who you'll vore for, but what say you?
    What trips your trigger/not?
    Constitutional issues don't usually matter much in final elections. I've not seen to many candidates wanting to step outside the bounds of the constitution. Although, some of these Tea Party folks seem pretty far out there in their interpretation of the constitution.
    I'm an issue person. And a middle class supporter. I believe a strong middle class equals a strong America. I usually ignore what candidates are saying, esp right before an election. You learn a lot more about a candidate from his or her past deeds than their present marketing scheme

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I am more concerned with issues of morality. I say that I vote my conscience before my wallet. I honestly believe that if we stick closer to traditional Christian values, then everything else will straighten itself out in time.
    Well said. Add in that I am no fan of a career politician.

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    Constitutional issues don't usually matter much in final elections. I've not seen to many candidates wanting to step outside the bounds of the constitution. Although, some of these Tea Party folks seem pretty far out there in their interpretation of the constitution.
    I'm an issue person. And a middle class supporter. I believe a strong middle class equals a strong America. I usually ignore what candidates are saying, esp right before an election. You learn a lot more about a candidate from his or her past deeds than their present marketing scheme

Really??

Elaborate..........

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

I have a few issues that are very important to me. I tend to vote those issues. I also, occasionally, vote against people. If neither candidate appeals to me, I vote for the one that appears to want to hurt me the least. If I dislike both equally, I could leave that particular race alone. That is rare though. I doubt I would vote just D or R though, there would have to be some issues that warranted my vote either for or against.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Subroc pretty much summarized how i feel about elections as well. In this last election, I didn't vote for anyone. I voted against the greater of 3 evils.
    It is a sad statement when you vote against someone, rather than for someone.

I think the bigge question nowadays, is , does it really matter who you vote for? Or who wins? Lots of people voted for change. We'll never know for sure what would have happened if McCain would have won, but does anyone think things would be drastically, or even moderately different?

We, and our elected officials, are OWNED.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Subroc pretty much summarized how i feel about elections as well. In this last election, I didn't vote for anyone. I voted against the greater of 3 evils.
    It is a sad statement when you vote against someone, rather than for someone.

I think the bigge question nowadays, is , does it really matter who you vote for? Or who wins? Lots of people voted for change. We'll never know for sure what would have happened if McCain would have won, but does anyone think things would be drastically, or even moderately different?
    We, and our elected officials, are OWNED.
    YES!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    YES!!

RK
    Well, I doubt he would have signed health care reform....and I'm certain that all our economic woes for years to come will be blamed solely on the health care law, (and that may be partially valid) but I don't think we'd be in all that much better shape.

This can be a double edged sword. If healthcare is now so expensive, and companies are beginning to drop coverage for employees (McDonalds announced it may have to drop benefits) won't that INCREASE corporate profits, if they're not paying ANY portion of premiums?? Hmmm...maybe this is beginning to make sense now. Actually, that would help put our manufacturers (if there's any left) on a competitive edge with our European and Asian competitors, who put all the health care burden on the gov'ts.

If you think things would be so different, to borrow a phrase from a recent post in a current thread:

Really?

Please elaborate!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!