The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Great myth

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I guess I have to explain........

They had values, they had morals, they knew right from wrong, people cared for each other.......very rare in todays world.

RK
    No different than today. Not at all. Values? Some people have them, some don't. My grandparents lived through the Depression. They had values. My wifes grandparents (fathers side) were bankrupted by the depression. They had values and were very decent people. Wife's grandfather mothers side had no values. He was a bigamist, a wife beater, a child beater and a Nazi. Values isn't something that comes from the age we live in. Each person decides what they do, in any age.

I didn't say things were terrible, that is your comment Mr. Positive....I said I admired their chharacter.

Yours speak volumes about you.

RK
    That wasn't my comment. It was my question.
    I've been called much worse than "Mr. Positive", so I'll gladly accept that label.
    Look around you, you'll see good people.
    There's even a few on this list....
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You should read this carefully. What it is saying is that your wages should be cut significantly.

Where have I heard that before?
    Maybe I did read it wrong...but what I read was that wages were increasing at a time when there was no justification for it, not staying the same as they should have according to the market. If I read it wrong, please point out to me where it says my wages should be cut.

BTW Buzz, did you get my PMs?

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Talking about the economic disaster known as the "Bush Administration" is also a history lesson, albiet a more recent one, but one that many people are poised to forget and repeat!

So I understand....if democratic follies are discussed, its a history lesson. If republican follies are discussed, its just a blame game. ok.
    Yeah, you and your posse really post things about Bush to help us all learn.

Yall would make crappy teachers.
    Last edited by ducknwork; 10-05-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Here is a surprise, this wasn't about you or little Yardley, it was about those that lived through those times and their character.
    One could not possibly have what they had unless they lived thru those things.
    I would have to say my Dad had pretty good character, I don't see many today that match him.

As usual, you two must pick and tear at an honest comment that meant no disrespect to anyone and huge respect for those mentioned.

stan b
    I know exactly what you are saying about those who grew up in the Depression. Both of my parents did as well. It had a tremendous impact on their characters -- mostly good, but some real issues a well.

My reaction was to your comment that those characteristics were now gone or at least very rare. You defined those characteristics as "They had values, they had morals, they knew right from wrong, people cared for each other.......very rare in todays world." I am continuously impressed by how strong I find those characteristics to be among my children's peers and how strong those characteristics are in the people I meet every day -- people who work full schedules, love and care for their families and still make time every week to work on a volunteer basis with those less fortunate. My father was never too sure about my generation, and I am not either. However, I am very impressed by the 35 and under crowd, and even know some pretty wonderful people who are older. Were he alive today, I suspect that my father would be very happy to see the generation of leaders we are building for the future. I think they may surprise both the liberals and conservatives that dominate politics today.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I know exactly what you are saying about those who grew up in the Depression. Both of my parents did as well. It had a tremendous impact on their characters -- mostly good, but some real issues a well.

My reaction was to your comment that those characteristics were now gone or at least very rare. You defined those characteristics as "They had values, they had morals, they knew right from wrong, people cared for each other.......very rare in todays world." I am continuously impressed by how strong I find those characteristics to be among my children's peers and how strong those characteristics are in the people I meet every day -- people who work full schedules, love and care for their families and still make time every week to work on a volunteer basis with those less fortunate. My father was never too sure about my generation, and I am not either. However, I am very impressed by the 35 and under crowd, and even know some pretty wonderful people who are older. Were he alive today, I suspect that my father would be very happy to see the generation of leaders we are building for the future. I think they may surprise both the liberals and conservatives that dominate politics today.
    I'd like to think you are right, Jeff, but I watched the evening news tonight and half of it was people killing people. Sadly, I do not think that there is anywhere near as many good people in the world as there once was and it's only getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I'd like to think you are right, Jeff, but I watched the evening news tonight and half of it was people killing people. Sadly, I do not think that there is anywhere near as many good people in the world as there once was and it's only getting worse.
    Come 'on Duck. You know the news media doesn't generate ratings by reporting on boy scouts helping old ladies across the street! They have reporters scouring every inch of this land for the most heinous, vile, crimes to report on.

Case in point is the recent triple murder/rape/arson in CT. Tragic and horrible yes, but news for the rest of us? Not really. But it made Nancy Grace and her ilk get all......well, I don't need to say here.

Don't forget the Elks, Moose, Rotary, Masons, etc....who perform wonderful volunteer community service. Freemasons alone give over $1.5 million PER DAY to charity, much for the Shriner's Childrens Hospitals.

Keep it positive--if you don't....who will?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!