The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yep, pot isn't a gateway drug...

Default Yep, pot isn't a gateway drug...

Potheads sure aren't more likely to use harder drugs than the rest of us...That's what we always hear.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39550634...me_and_courts/

You know, back in the day I used to be a pot head. I don't do any drugs any more, but I did eventually get into some coke and some acid....well a lot of coke...it was a problem. (Does anyone else have trouble remembering the late 80's?) For all of you who think you know something let me tell you that pot didn't have anything to do with the other drugs. It is a personality thing. Either you are looking for an escape from yourself or you aren't. Pot is just usually what you start with because it is most available. If there wasn't any pot you would go straight to the hallucinogens. Its your personality. Either you are gonna do drugs or you aren't. I personally don't think you belong in jail for smoking pot, grow your own. If you make meth or sell cocaine or crack I'm for shooting you on the spot. JMO.

Voice of experience
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leddyman View Post
    You know, back in the day I used to be a pot head. I don't do any drugs any more, but I did eventually get into some coke and some acid....well a lot of coke...it was a problem. (Does anyone else have trouble remembering the late 80's?) For all of you who think you know something let me tell you that pot didn't have anything to do with the other drugs. It is a personality thing. Either you are looking for an escape from yourself or you aren't. Pot is just usually what you start with because it is most available. If there wasn't any pot you would go straight to the hallucinogens. Its your personality. Either you are gonna do drugs or you aren't. I personally don't think you belong in jail for smoking pot, grow your own. If you make meth or sell cocaine or crack I'm for shooting you on the spot. JMO.

Voice of experience
    The part you are not seeing is that the pot brought you into the culture where other drugs were common and easily accesible.

The "GATE" if you will.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    The part you are not seeing is that the pot brought you into the culture where other drugs were common and easily accesible.

The "GATE" if you will.

RK
    Exactly. When you engage in risky behaviors, you begin to hang around others who are doing the same thing and the chances that you are going to be exposed to 'more risky' behaviors is increased significantly.

If you like to go to parties to get drunk, eventually you are going to go to parties that have a couple stoners hanging out in the backyard. At that moment, you chances of trying it are exponentially greater than someone who has never been exposed to it, simply because you have been. Then you might decide to try it and like it...So you start going to parties with that crowd to smoke dope. One night there might be someone hanging out in the back room doing lines or shooting up...slippery slope.

Voice of observation

I'm not attacking you, Leddyman, just trying to get across another point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Leddyman View Post

Voice of experience
    Research backs up your assesment that it is not a Gateway drug. People that go on to other drugs would do so with or without pot. Research also shows that most pot users don't drink and those that do opt for wine over harder booze. (see mpp.org).

Just as the ban of booze financed organized crime in this coutry, the ban on pot has financed the drug cartels into muti-million dollar crime syndicates. Whereas, decriminalization would allow for taxing and substance control.

California will legalize it in November which will allow them to tax it. Long the #1 cash crop in Canada, the Canadians are debating legalization as well. Interesting is that the states with higher educational levels support decriminalization whereas the less educated states in the south still attempt to enforce their Draconian laws.

Lets don't forget the medicinal benefits that pot delivers to Cancer sufferers.
    Last edited by Franco; 10-07-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Research backs up your assesment that it is not a Gateway drug. People that go on to other drugs would do so with or without pot. Research also shows that most pot users don't drink and those that do opt for wine over harder booze. (see mpp.org).

Just as the ban of booze financed organized crime in this coutry, the ban on pot has financed the drug cartels into muti-million dollar crime syndicates. Whereas, decriminalization would allow for taxing and substance control.

California will legalize it in November which will allow them to tax it. Long the #1 cash crop in Canada, the Canadians are debating legalization as well. Interesting is that the states with higher educational levels support decriminalization whereas the less educated states in the south still attempt to enforce their Draconian laws.

Lets don't forget the medicinal benefits that pot delivers to Cancer sufferers.
    Maybe if we all just smoke weed, everything would be cool man!

Far out man.....can you dig it?????

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 10-07-2010 at 09:03 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

just a hypothetical:

who would you rather be seated with at a wedding reception- a guy who smoked a joint on the way to the dinner from the church or a mean drunk pounding down the Jack Daniels?

just because it's legal or illegal doesn't necessarily dictate whether their behavior is going to be acceptable or not.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

The "GATE" if you will.

RK
    Well, I remember bowling alley restrooms and under the bleachers at highschool football games, kids smoking funny looking cigarettes. Maybe these "gates" should be banned as well?

Maybe you guys are both to the left of me on this, but I think big goobermint should stay out of my life, my house, and my garden. I don't need big brother to protect me from myself!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that EVERY rock concert I've been to had "vendors" peddling various intoxicants. Maybe we should extend the "gate" logic and outlaw rock concerts and probably 75% of country western concerts, since associating with these crowds may lead to marijuana use, crack use, ultimately, the demise of all who attend.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Oh, I almost forgot to mention that EVERY rock concert I've been to had "vendors" peddling various intoxicants. Maybe we should extend the "gate" logic and outlaw rock concerts and probably 75% of country western concerts, since associating with these crowds may lead to marijuana use, crack use, ultimately, the demise of all who attend.
    Lets don't forget Willie Nelson! We could burn all of his CD's since they were inspired while he was under the influence of devil weed and since some would have us believe he is a threat to our national security!
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Well, I remember bowling alley restrooms and under the bleachers at highschool football games, kids smoking funny looking cigarettes. Maybe these "gates" should be banned as well?

Maybe you guys are both to the left of me on this, but I think big goobermint should stay out of my life, my house, and my garden. I don't need big brother to protect me from myself!

OR, just enforce the law and not allow drugs in any venue.

I'm sure that Tila Tequila was glad that all her 'fans' were allowed to be stoned out of their mind at a 'rock' concert...