The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Elevated Terrorist Threats???

  1. #11
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I agree. The story you linked is absolutely clear. It is also absurd on its face.

    The "intelligence" sources are not identified, but are contradicted by the statements of governmental officials in England, France and Germany, as well as by the facts of the on-going investigations and arrests. The Pakistani criticism is generalized and is in harmony with similar comments by Pakistani leaders who deny the existence of terrorist forces in Pakistan itself.

    Are you trying to prove that a Murdoch publication will write a stupid headline in its efforts to give weight to its overall opposition to the administration? If so, you are doing a great job. Do you believe the administration should have ignored the developments in Europe that led France, Germany and the UK to raise their threat warnings and to issue advisories to their populations? That is certainly what you seem to be saying. What do you believe the administration should have done? Or maybe you are embarrassed to answer that question.
    Absurd?
    Stupid"

    Anything that opposes your ideology must be attacked and called names?

    BTW-not that you care, but that attitude is my issue with you and your posts.

    I found it an interesting read.
    You try to marginalize it by calling it absurd & stupid."

    Not so sure it is.

    RK
    Last edited by road kill; 10-08-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

  2. #12
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Absurd?
    Stupid"

    Anything that oppopses your ideology must be attacked and called names?

    BTW-not that you care, but that attitude is my issue with you and your posts.

    I found it an interesting read.
    You try to marginalize it by calling it absurd & stupid."

    Not so sure it is.

    RK
    But you still didn't answer the question on whether, in your opinion, a warning to Americans traveling in Western Europe was appropriate given:
    • specific information on threats of Mumbai style attacks in France, Germany and England;
    • the decisions by the French, German and English governments to issue similar advisories to their own populations; and
    • the arrest of 12 people in France in connection with these threats.
    You have implied, with your linked story that you do not believe a warning was appropriate. Is that really what you believe?

    It seems that any facts that do not support your ideology are simply ignored.

  3. #13
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    But you still didn't answer the question on whether, in your opinion, a warning to Americans traveling in Western Europe was appropriate given:
    • specific information on threats of Mumbai style attacks in France, Germany and England;
    • the decisions by the French, German and English governments to issue similar advisories to their own populations; and
    • the arrest of 12 people in France in connection with these threats.
    You have implied, with your linked story that you do not believe a warning was appropriate. Is that really what you believe?

    It seems that any facts that do not support your ideology are simply ignored.
    And any facts that don't support your ideology are call "absurd & stupid."

    You in your infinite wisdom have decided to dismiss the article as non factual, even though people directly involved are quoted.
    But Yardley knows better than they.

    I implied nothing, I put the article out for review and thoughtful comment.
    You cut and paste opposing articles, call the one I posted names and then claim I offer no facts.


    You da man..........


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  4. #14
    Senior Member WaterDogRem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    At least we are no longer being subjected to daily report about the color of the day's terrorist threat warning (usually orange or red) based on non-specific information about activities that never materialized into anything.
    Wish that was so, but maybe I spend too much time in airports.

  5. #15
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    And any facts that don't support your ideology are call "absurd & stupid."

    You in your infinite wisdom have decided to dismiss the article as non factual, even though people directly involved are quoted.
    But Yardley knows better than they.

    I implied nothing, I put the article out for review and thoughtful comment.
    You cut and paste opposing articles, call the one I posted names and then claim I offer no facts.


    You da man..........


    RK
    Still not answering the question. Let me repeat:

    "You have implied, with your linked story that you do not believe a warning was appropriate. Is that really what you believe?" You responded that you were not implying anything (riiightt). Ignoring that...

    Do you, RK, believe that a warning was appropriate given the developments in Europe and the fact that England, France and Germany issued parallel alerts?

    It's a simple yes or no question.

  6. #16
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Still not answering the question. Let me repeat:

    "You have implied, with your linked story that you do not believe a warning was appropriate. Is that really what you believe?" You responded that you were not implying anything (riiightt). Ignoring that...

    Do you, RK, believe that a warning was appropriate given the developments in Europe and the fact that England, France and Germany issued parallel alerts?

    It's a simple yes or no question.
    I have implied nothing.

    I posted an article.

    Do YOU understand that??
    Simple yes or no question.

    I do not have the intelligence connections or insight you have into the terror organizations to know if it was warranted or not.
    It appears that several throughout the world that do have connections almost as good as yours deem it folly.
    Dismissing claims of a developed, co-ordinated plot aimed at Britain, France and Germany, European intelligence officials also pointed the finger at the US, and specifically at the White House. "To stitch together [the terror plot claims] in a seamless narrative is nonsensical," said one well-placed official.
    I imagine and suspect the terrorist (even though they love us now) are still trying to kill us.
    No MORE or LESS than 2 years ago.

    Do you honestly think the terrorists threats carry more weight today than 6mos, a year or 2 years ago??

    If so, why??


    RK
    Last edited by road kill; 10-08-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

  7. #17
    Senior Member troy schwab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post


    Do you honestly think the terrorists threats carry more weight today than 6mos, a year or 2 years ago??

    If so, why??


    RK
    This is actually a very interesting point....... I think today, that governments and/or media choose to tout their fantaticism with terrorists. Look what we did mentality. I would bet that the amount of terrorist threats have probably remained pretty steady. We have been hated a very long time, this is nothing new.

  8. #18
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I have implied nothing.

    I posted an article.


    Do YOU understand that??

    Simple yes or no question.


    I do not have the intelligence connections or insight you have into the terror organizations to know if it was warranted or not.
    It appears that several throughout the world that do have connections almost as good as yours deem it folly.


    I imagine and suspect the terrorist (even though they love us now) are still trying to kill us.
    No MORE or LESS than 2 years ago.

    Do you honestly think the terrorists threats carry more weight today than 6mos, a year or 2 years ago??

    If so, why??


    RK
    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...-threat-claims

    WOW!!!


    Where Roger at???

    There is hardly a day that goes by we don't hear how Bush lied about the threats in Iraq.

    I am curious the lefty's take on this "fabrication."



    RK
    I'd say that the opening part of your post, when read next to your original post, is complete BS. "WOW" you say, posting a link to a story headlined

    Barack Obama accused of exaggerating terror threat for political gain

    • Pakistani diplomat launches scathing attack on White House
    • European intelligence claims raised terror alerts 'nonsensical'


    I would say your post is anything except passive neutral. The Guardian story then leads:


    A US terror alert issued this week about al-Qaida plots to attack targets in western Europe was politically motivated and not based on credible new information, senior Pakistani diplomats and European intelligence officials have told the Guardian.


    The non-specific US warning, which despite its vagueness led Britain, France and other countries to raise their overseas terror alert levels, was an attempt to justify a recent escalation in US drone and helicopter attacks inside Pakistan that have "set the country on fire", said Wajid Shamsul Hasan, the high commissioner to Britain.
    Here we have a question of journalistic integrity. The US alert was issued on October 3. The arrests of 12 alleged terrorists in Marseilles was on October 5. The US alert only addressed risks in Western Europe (What does that have to do with Pakistan based drone attacks?). The elevated French warnings went into effect last month (long before the US action) following the kidnapping of five French citizens as a reaction to the legislative ban on face coverings. This was also linked to the arrest, on September 3, of a French member of al-Qaeda, in Italy who was allegedly returning to France to engage in suicide bombings. Last month, French authorities had issued alerts concerning specific threats received on planned Metro bombings -- all pre-dating the US alert. Britain actually raised its terror alert in mid-September, following already elevated alerts following the Pope's visit and subsequent threats of terrorist activities. However, all the countries elevated their terror alerts following British intelligence using voice print technologies (See http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101005/..._terror_threat) began pointing at the possibility of attacks on major tourist monuments. This was done despite a lot of outcry concerning the potential impact such alerts might have on tourist traffic. In particular, the German Interior Minister was upset:


    BERLIN: Germany’s interior minister hit out at travel warnings for visitors to Europe issued because of the risk of Al-Qaeda attacks on Wednesday, saying such tactics helped “terrorists” spread fear.


    “We are taking things seriously. But … we are working without talking a lot.” Thomas de Maiziere told German radio station Deutschlandfunk.



    This week the US, Britain, Japan and Sweden issued alert warnings of the “possible terrorist attack” by Al-Qaeda and affiliated groups against their citizens travelling in Europe.



    This followed reports in British and US media that said that an Al-Qaeda plot to carry out attacks in Britain, France and Germany, similar to the siege in Mumbai in 2008 that killed 166 people, had been uncovered.



    The source was a German citizen of Afghan descent held in Afghanistan, the reports said, but a US official told AFP this week the warning was based on a “growing body of information” collected over time.


    Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article....#ixzz11n2RJt2Q
    (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)

    US drone attacks on Pakistan are also definitely linked to the increased alert levels. Five Germans were among the alleged terrorists killed in a recent attack.

    Most interestingly, of course, is that we have this headline from the Guardian the day after the Guardian story that you cite:

    France issues UK terror alert

    After similar warnings across Europe, French advise 'extreme vigilance' on British public transport and at popular attractions


    France has told citizens visiting the UK to exercise caution, warning that a terrorist attack on public transport or tourist sites is "highly likely".
    In a notice on the defence ministry website, the French authorities said: "We advise [travellers] to be extremely vigilant on public transport and at popular tourist sites."
    The alert came days after the UK said there was "a high threat of terrorism" in France and Germany, and the US warned its citizens to stay away from high-profile sites in Europe
    Yesterday, French security forces arrested 11 suspected Islamic extremists in raids across southern France, although officials downplayed any link with the increased terror alerts.
    The French interior minister, Brice Hortefeux, said: "Yes, there is a terrorist threat at the moment in Europe. It must be neither overestimated nor underestimated." . (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...k-terror-alert)


  9. #19
    Senior Member tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ogden Utah
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Here is the deal RK, when the "chatter" increases the threat level increases. It doesn't mean the sky is falling, it means that the idiots are making more noise than usual.
    A warning under those circumstances just tells people to be a little more cautious.
    Good idea in my book!

    Why in the hell does everything have to have some sort political spin!!!!!!!

    Since you want facts, here are the facts.
    #1 the chatter increased
    #2 a warning was issued
    #3 a bunch of the idiots were arrested

    Now YOU decide!!

    Personal opinion -- damn glad someone was doing their job!
    Last edited by tom; 10-08-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    "there is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

  10. #20
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I'd say that the opening part of your post, when read next to your original post, is complete BS. "WOW" you say, posting a link to a story headlined

    Barack Obama accused of exaggerating terror threat for political gain

    • Pakistani diplomat launches scathing attack on White House
    • European intelligence claims raised terror alerts 'nonsensical'


    I would say your post is anything except passive neutral. The Guardian story then leads:


    A US terror alert issued this week about al-Qaida plots to attack targets in western Europe was politically motivated and not based on credible new information, senior Pakistani diplomats and European intelligence officials have told the Guardian.


    The non-specific US warning, which despite its vagueness led Britain, France and other countries to raise their overseas terror alert levels, was an attempt to justify a recent escalation in US drone and helicopter attacks inside Pakistan that have "set the country on fire", said Wajid Shamsul Hasan, the high commissioner to Britain.
    Here we have a question of journalistic integrity. The US alert was issued on October 3. The arrests of 12 alleged terrorists in Marseilles was on October 5. The US alert only addressed risks in Western Europe (What does that have to do with Pakistan based drone attacks?). The elevated French warnings went into effect last month (long before the US action) following the kidnapping of five French citizens as a reaction to the legislative ban on face coverings. This was also linked to the arrest, on September 3, of a French member of al-Qaeda, in Italy who was allegedly returning to France to engage in suicide bombings. Last month, French authorities had issued alerts concerning specific threats received on planned Metro bombings -- all pre-dating the US alert. Britain actually raised its terror alert in mid-September, following already elevated alerts following the Pope's visit and subsequent threats of terrorist activities. However, all the countries elevated their terror alerts following British intelligence using voice print technologies (See http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101005/..._terror_threat) began pointing at the possibility of attacks on major tourist monuments. This was done despite a lot of outcry concerning the potential impact such alerts might have on tourist traffic. In particular, the German Interior Minister was upset:


    BERLIN: Germany’s interior minister hit out at travel warnings for visitors to Europe issued because of the risk of Al-Qaeda attacks on Wednesday, saying such tactics helped “terrorists” spread fear.


    “We are taking things seriously. But … we are working without talking a lot.” Thomas de Maiziere told German radio station Deutschlandfunk.



    This week the US, Britain, Japan and Sweden issued alert warnings of the “possible terrorist attack” by Al-Qaeda and affiliated groups against their citizens travelling in Europe.



    This followed reports in British and US media that said that an Al-Qaeda plot to carry out attacks in Britain, France and Germany, similar to the siege in Mumbai in 2008 that killed 166 people, had been uncovered.



    The source was a German citizen of Afghan descent held in Afghanistan, the reports said, but a US official told AFP this week the warning was based on a “growing body of information” collected over time.


    Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article....#ixzz11n2RJt2Q
    (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)

    US drone attacks on Pakistan are also definitely linked to the increased alert levels. Five Germans were among the alleged terrorists killed in a recent attack.

    Most interestingly, of course, is that we have this headline from the Guardian the day after the Guardian story that you cite:

    France issues UK terror alert

    After similar warnings across Europe, French advise 'extreme vigilance' on British public transport and at popular attractions


    France has told citizens visiting the UK to exercise caution, warning that a terrorist attack on public transport or tourist sites is "highly likely".
    In a notice on the defence ministry website, the French authorities said: "We advise [travellers] to be extremely vigilant on public transport and at popular tourist sites."
    The alert came days after the UK said there was "a high threat of terrorism" in France and Germany, and the US warned its citizens to stay away from high-profile sites in Europe
    Yesterday, French security forces arrested 11 suspected Islamic extremists in raids across southern France, although officials downplayed any link with the increased terror alerts.
    The French interior minister, Brice Hortefeux, said: "Yes, there is a terrorist threat at the moment in Europe. It must be neither overestimated nor underestimated." . (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...k-terror-alert)



    BS??
    This from the KING of BS??

    Read the above post!!

    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

    Oh, again, is this heightened alert status more warranted today than 6 mos, 1 year or 2 years ago??




    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •