RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dog Vest, 1st time buyer

956 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  gundog3664 
#1 ·
In the next month I will be purchasing a dog vest for my lab for the hunting season. I have done some research and have heard/read different opinions. I'm looking at Drake Waterfowl and Avery's line of vests; what are some experiences you all have with different vest? Luck, comments on design, durability? Thanks

#3 ·
C&B

I HIGHLY recommend you bring your dog to the store and make sure the vest is fitted properly. Use a pair of scissors to customize the fit and trim away any neoprene around his groin, etc. so it doesn't chaffe.

In our climates, I rarely use a vest, preferring to make sure the dog is in a dry spot and rubbed down. I think the vest I have is an Avery, but I haven't dug it out of the cabinet in years (and anyway, it wouldn't fit my bitch anymore)

I'm just up the road in P'ville and train regularly in the area, esp. weeknight evenings. You're welcome to join me M-Thurs...doubly welcome if ya got a good arm ;-)

#5 ·
I've only used Avery and Cabela's vests, and prefer the Cabela's wide velcro fastener to Avery's zipper, but the Avery seemed durable enough. Whatever brand, get the right chest size, and all else can easily be tailored with scissors and neoprene cement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.