The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctors inject potential cure for paralysis into patient

Banned

Default Doctors inject potential cure for paralysis into patient

Do you think that if Government funded stem cell research had not been banned, that a cure for some paralysis patients would have been found?

U.S. doctors have made medical history by using human embryonic stem cells to treat a patient, it was announced Monday.
    The pioneering but controversial treatment was done Friday on a volunteer at the the Shepherd Center spinal cord and brain injury rehabilitation hospital in Atlanta.
    Doctors hope the manufactured nerve cells will prompt damaged spinal column nerves to regrow and enable the patient to eventually recover feeling and movement.
    "When we started working with human embryonic stem cells in 1999, many predicted that would be a number of decades before a cell therapy would be approved for human clinical trials," said Dr. Thomas Okarma, president of Geron, a biotech company that has already spent $170 million developing a stem cell treatment for spinal cord injuries.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ml?r=lifestyle

Is it okay to end one life to improve another?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Do you think that if Government funded stem cell research had not been banned, that a cure for some paralysis patients would have been found?...
    If this works or not remains to be seen, but when, and under what administration, has stem cell funding been banned?

I believe that the Bush administration increased funding forr stem cell research. I expect this research was a benfit of the Bush administration funding increases.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Duck, There are many stem cells that are thrown away or discarded that could have been used so no life would have been ended.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    If this works or not remains to be seen, but when, and under what administration, has stem cell funding been banned?

I believe that the Bush administration increased funding forr stem cell research. I expect this research was a benfit of the Bush administration funding increases.
    March 9, 2009 -- Updated 1643 GMT (0043 HKT)

• Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells

• Obama's move overturns an order signed by President Bush in 2001 that barred the National Institutes of Health from funding research on embryonic stem cells beyond using 60 cell lines that existed at that time.

If I understand it correctly, the Bush "ban" was on federal funding, not on stem cell research itself.

The original article you quoted says:

"Geron, a biotech company that has already spent $170 million developing a stem cell treatment for spinal cord injuries."

Looks like private capital provided the research and technology that produced the treatment for this patient.

I guess I'm kind of missing the connection on how to blame Bush for anything here.....

Former President George W. Bush increased funding for stem cell research.

Bush also endorsed increased funding for research on stem cells obtained from adults, umbilical cords, placentas and animals, saying the federal government will spend $250 million on this research this year.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2001-08-09/p...PM:ALLPOLITICS
    Last edited by subroc; 10-12-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    who said anything about ending a life? This is about preserving life.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post

http://articles.cnn.com/2001-08-09/p...PM:ALLPOLITICS
    Bush allowed stem cell research but not embryonic. He danced around this a bunch and limited it. I'm pretty sure the progress in the research has been acomplished overseas.

And yes Obama overturned his law the first month in office.

I will say it again:

subroc

Article [I.]
    Article [II.]