The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctors inject potential cure for paralysis into patient

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    who said anything about ending a life? This is about preserving life.
    Where do embryonic stem cells come from?

Hint--Key word is embryo...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Duck, There are many stem cells that are thrown away or discarded that could have been used so no life would have been ended.
    That leads me to believe that it was wrong to 'harvest' the stem cells in the first place, with the knowledge that many of them would be 'thrown out'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    That leads me to believe that it was wrong to 'harvest' the stem cells in the first place, with the knowledge that many of them would be 'thrown out'.
    All I am saying I believe if the government would have continued to fund stem cell research instead of throwing out or discarding stem cells, wouldn't it have been a better idea to use them to find a cure diseases such as cancer to better mankind?

Where do embryonic stem cells come from?

Hint--Key word is embryo...
    Sorry Duck, we may occasionally find things to agree upon, but this won't be one of them. I do not feel in my heart, that a ball of cells stored in nitrogen in a deep freeze carry the full weight and soul of a walking, talking, crying, or pooping human being.

FYI, the majority of fertilized eggs are naturally aborted and only a select few go on to implant and develop into a fetus and person. I don't claim to know where to draw the line, but a frozen embryo that hasn't even made it past nature's "cut", isn't a full-fledged life in my mind. I can't look at a test-tube in a freezer, then see a child paralzyed with possible hopes of restoring a normal life to him or her, and deny them that chance in the name of a specimen that will likely be discarded upon its expiration date.

I've stated my opinion, and thats all it is. I'm sure yours, and many others are different, and we'll have to leave it at that.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

By that logic, and the logic that its against God's will to abort embryos....is it not also against God's will to try and create life where he apparently didn't want it to be? ie fertility clinics, IVF, fertility drugs, etc...
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Sorry Duck, we may occasionally find things to agree upon, but this won't be one of them. I do not feel in my heart, that a ball of cells stored in nitrogen in a deep freeze carry the full weight and soul of a walking, talking, crying, or pooping human being.

FYI, the majority of fertilized eggs are naturally aborted and only a select few go on to implant and develop into a fetus and person. I don't claim to know where to draw the line, but a frozen embryo that hasn't even made it past nature's "cut", isn't a full-fledged life in my mind. I can't look at a test-tube in a freezer, then see a child paralzyed with possible hopes of restoring a normal life to him or her, and deny them that chance in the name of a specimen that will likely be discarded upon its expiration date.

I've stated my opinion, and thats all it is. I'm sure yours, and many others are different, and we'll have to leave it at that.

http://articles.cnn.com/2006-07-19/p..._s=PM:POLITICS

...Attending the White House event were a group of families with children who were born from "adopted" frozen embryos that had been left unused at fertility clinics.
    "These boys and girls are not spare parts," he said of the children in the audience. "They remind us of what is lost when embryos are destroyed in the name of research. They remind us that we all begin our lives as a small collection of cells."
    The measure, which the House of Representatives passed in May 2005, allows couples who have had embryos frozen for fertility treatments to donate them to researchers rather than let them be destroyed....

By that logic, and the logic that its against God's will to abort embryos....is it not also against God's will to try and create life where he apparently didn't want it to be? ie fertility clinics, IVF, fertility drugs, etc...
    So you automatically assume that I am using God as the basis for my argument? Please tell me where I mentioned God.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    All I am saying I believe if the government would have continued to fund stem cell research instead of throwing out or discarding stem cells, wouldn't it have been a better idea to use them to find a cure diseases such as cancer to better mankind?
    They did continue to fund stem cell research...just not embryonic stem cells...

Is there something that embryonic stem cells can do that others can't?
    (genuinely curious)

How did you feel each of the 7 times that there was a ball of cells in your wife's body?

Naturally is the key word, Dave...

Some people naturally die at the young age of 30 and that's okay, but it's not okay for someone to end their life unnaturally, right? Your logic doesn't work there...

In response to your paralysis comment, I'll ask you the same thing...

Is there something that embryonic stem cells can do that others can't?
    (genuinely curious)