The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "shovel ready" jobs and projects

Banned

Default "shovel ready" jobs and projects

pretty much admitting all the stimulus hype was just hype and that it didnt work. this has cracked me up for several days now.....

Democrats passed the “stimulus” package in early 2009 with the idea it would do two things: keep unemployment below 8% and create millions of “shovel-ready” jobs.

Five months later, unemployment leaped to 9.5% and Vice President Joe Biden said it was because the administration “misread the economy.”

Fast forward another 15 months to today and President Obama tells the New York Times “there’s no such thing as shovel-ready projects.” That’s two for two.

Obama first made “shovel-ready” a cool, keeping-it-rustic catchphrase in an interview with Tom Brokaw on “Meet the Press” in December 2008. “When I met with the governors, all of them have projects that are shovel-ready,” he said.

And on that day, a talking point was born.

The President referred to “shovel-ready” jobs whenever he could. In that same month, Obama announce his energy and environment teams and said, “We've got shovel-ready projects all across the country that governors and mayors are pleading to fund. And the minute we can get those investments to the state level, jobs are going to be created.”

When Obama announced his choice for secretary of Education, also in December of ’08, he said, “My economic team … is helping to shape what is going to be a bold agenda to create 2.5 million new jobs, to start helping states and local governments with shovel-ready projects.”

“Shovel-ready” jobs were so real to Democrats.

In March 2009, Biden spoke about the global economic crisis at the Progressive Governance Conference in Chile. He said, “The Recovery Act … provides a necessary jolt to our economy to implement what we refer [to] as ‘shovel-ready’ projects.”

Three months later, Biden told Californians that the administration wants “to get shovel-ready projects out the door as quickly as we can.”

In January 2009, Senate Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said, “[Creating] projects that are felt to be shovel ready ... is the objective of the administration and ourselves.”

And in February of 2009, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar said, “With wise investments in shovel-ready conservation projects across the country, we can immediately put people back to work.”

Now Obama essentially says the “stimulus” didn’t work. There are no jobs.

And his admission that there are no shovels comes as Democrats are desperately trying to dig themselves out of a hole.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=39407

To paraphrase an old Beatles song, "Here Comes The Spin".
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

David, you know most of his supporters have never owned a shovel or held one in their hands. Stimlas=Union payback, AFL-CIO, TEAMESTERS,SEIU, NEA, et al.

Saved or Created Regards
    Just Win

did you double thread start David? Just delete the least popular, the thread starter can do that in your thread tools

Actually made me smirk a wee bit when I heard it as well David. Just a wee bit.
    First thing that came to my mind was,
    “I bet the shovel ready jobs were destroyed by the hidden weapons of mass destruction!”
    but that is just how my mind works sometimes.
    Like the song line I used last week
    “Met the new boss, same as the old boss”

Last edited by Ken Bora; 10-14-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: wanted to post in both davids threads
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by R Little View Post
    David, you know most of his supporters have never owned a shovel or held one in their hands. Stimlas=Union payback, AFL-CIO, TEAMESTERS,SEIU, NEA, et al.

Saved or Created Regards
    did you hear what you said?

The unions you mention represent truck drivers, steel workers, coal miners....You don't think these people have held shovels in their hands? Have YOU held a shovel?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    did you hear what you said?

The unions you mention represent truck drivers, steel workers, coal miners....You don't think these people have held shovels in their hands? Have YOU held a shovel?

I was thinking the same thing. My old man is AFL-CIO, International Association of Firefighters. They never touched a shovel or put in an honest days work... I guess that's why he's a Democrat, keep that gravy train rolling!

"For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Instead of responding to a response, how about a response to the original post about the shovel ready projects that were ready to go across the counrty. anyone, anyone, independants, Buehler?
    Last edited by duckheads; 10-14-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

Quote Originally Posted by duckheads View Post
    Instead of responding to a response, how about a response to the original post about the shovel ready projects that were ready to go across the counrty. anyone, anyone, independants, Buehler?

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Well... I had two projects that were "shovel-ready". One was an upgrade/retrofit of the electrical system and air handlers at a 50 bed hospital for $1.4 million. The other was an upgrade/retrofit of electrical and mechanical systems at a 400 bed hospital for about $11 million. That latter project would have paid for itself in about 7 years because the existing systems are so bad. Neither project was funded. The smaller project would have paid for itself in a longer time-frame, about 18 years.

As far as I can tell, the projects didn't get funded (they had been bid and could have started within 30 days) because of politics...at either the state or national level.

Eric

The only shovel ready project that's ready to go is the one to shovel the Bull Spit out of Washington.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth