The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 72

Thread: "shovel ready" jobs and projects

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    You "cut & paste" vague generalities to support your specifics.
    Even YOU wouldn't buy this.


    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!


    RK
    dont you love a good guffaw at daves expense to start the day?

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    PINEY FLATS, TN
    Posts
    620

    Default

    I have a shovel ready job in Greeneville TN with all the BO bs paperwork. They were more concerned with how many people they were going to put to work so our great president could keep giving speaches than they were with engineering and buying property. I had to move about 700000 yds of material and lots of pipe extending a runway. I was awarded the job last Sept., were the majority of my fill area is, the airport did not own the property or a major section of the cut area until late august of this year. We have huge claims that are arising because they did not have access to the site when bid. I have heard them say they had to go to bid not ready because they would miss out on the funding if they missed a certain date, in the long run it will cost them much more by the time we are finished. Sometimes or should I say alot of the time on governmental projects I see very little common sense when it comes to planning or how to deal with changes that arise. By the way that project sign costs about 2300 to make with Obama sign on it, same regular sign would cost about 850-1000 to have made so think about the total stimulus jobs that are out there I would just like to have the sign business. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to have the work but I hate to see spending on projects that have very little benefit to a community. There is one guy that owns a gulfstream that the majority of this whole project is for his plane to land. I'm sure we could have found a road to build that would have benefited lots more people, or maybe not because this guy owns a big shipping company and employs lots of people and is great for the community because he gives back in a huge way to charities and helping the community. But you can bet there is some earmarking somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

  3. #33
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    The school rehab and bridge replacement you mentioned earlier were funded by the stimulus to the same extent that the flushing of my morning constitutional was funded by the stimulus since my county (and the waste water treatement facility they run) also received stimulus money to supplement their general budget. The school would have been renovated with our without the stimulus. The bridge would have been replaced with or without the stimulus. And my toilet would have flushed just fine with or without the stimulus.
    That was my point. Thank you.

    I won't argue the with/without premise. I would agree with that.

    RK, your typical MO in play. whenever opinions are stated, you attack and demand facts. When facts are presented, you accuse of cut-n-paste. You do the exact same thing to Yardley, or anyone else who debunks your comments with facts. Who said its like arguing with a billboard? Spot on.

    Have a good one. We're going to a private rehersal of the Pittsburgh Opera's soprano, then YoYo Ma in recital, and I don't think either venue is dog-friendly.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

    Have a good one. We're going to a private rehersal of the Pittsburgh Opera's soprano, then YoYo Ma in recital, and I don't think either venue is dog-friendly.
    So your wife is going without you?
    Last edited by ducknwork; 10-15-2010 at 11:15 AM.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    did you hear what you said?

    The unions you mention represent truck drivers, steel workers, coal miners....You don't think these people have held shovels in their hands? Have YOU held a shovel?
    Just what I was wondering the same thing.
    Last edited by Blackstone; 10-15-2010 at 12:02 PM.

  6. #36
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    So your wife is going without you?
    I wish it were that simple!

    Crisp cool fall mornings, campfires, archery season......I'd rather be headed to camp!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    I can't speak for other states, but there are several construction projects in KS & MO that were funded by Stimulas money. I think the Tuscumbia bridge project in MO was the first project in the nation started with stimulus funds. I do not know for sure how many jobs were created, but Stimulus Watch said the project created 243 new jobs.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    PINEY FLATS, TN
    Posts
    620

    Default

    I wonder if they really created that many new jobs or if that was the total amount of people working for those companies. If I get a chance I will show you guys one of the forms they make us fill out. Its a joke they try to make you say you have create new jobs, I even had a inspector try to make us say we had created new jobs for people that have been with us for many years.
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

  9. #39
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Baker View Post
    I wonder if they really created that many new jobs or if that was the total amount of people working for those companies. If I get a chance I will show you guys one of the forms they make us fill out. Its a joke they try to make you say you have create new jobs, I even had a inspector try to make us say we had created new jobs for people that have been with us for many years.
    To create jobs, demand has to exceed capacity of the current workforce. With an implosion of the economy such as we had, how realistic is it to think that politically they could put together a stimulus big enough to actually create new jobs? Especially in the construction sector which took a big chunk of the hit from the collapse. But we know how much flack they will get from the righties for trying to state how many jobs were saved.

    With the attitude you have about the stimulus spending, I'm really disappointed in you and your company for getting involved in anything even remotely tainted by stimulus funds.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  10. #40
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    To create jobs, demand has to exceed capacity of the current workforce. With an implosion of the economy such as we had, how realistic is it to think that politically they could put together a stimulus big enough to actually create new jobs? Especially in the construction sector which took a big chunk of the hit from the collapse. But we know how much flack they will get from the righties for trying to state how many jobs were saved.

    With the attitude you have about the stimulus spending, I'm really disappointed in you and your company for getting involved in anything even remotely tainted by stimulus funds.

    Yeah, I see what you mean.


    BTW----been to any election "feeds" lately?
    They are pretty common out your way, aren't they??


    http://www.argusleader.com/article/2.../NEWS/10140308


    Yopu guys got a pretty clear view of thing up there, hey???


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •