The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glenn Beck

i thought Deppity Dawg's technique was a lot more relevant to the topic.........
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Could you enlighten us and explain these parallels??

Or, are you just utilizing some "technique??"

RK
    Did you read the post, or just your own highlights? The post is self-explanatory. You may disagree, but not seeing the argument is just plain lack of reading skills.

"the sky is blue"

"yeah, but why don't you tell me what color it is"

"I said it was blue"

"I know, but you still haven't said what color it is"

"Here is a photograph showing a blue sky"

"All you do is bloviate and cut and paste photographs....what color is the sky?"

Its like the path of a fleeing rabbit. Totally random and illogical in an attempt to throw the pursuer off course. But maybe that's your debate strategy?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Beck, Oberman, Hannity, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Maddow...

I ignore them all!
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Could you enlighten us and explain these parallels??

Or, are you just utilizing some "technique??"

RK
    I thought my argument was pretty clear. If you would like a more detailed review of Beck's professorial antics in support of illogic, you could watch Jon Stewart's spoof from last March at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JnDY2Gv5YQ. Even funnier, though not specifically addressed at Beck, was a Fox News spoof by Stewart where he used Beckian illogic to "prove" that Fox News is itself terrorist control central in New York (see http://vodpod.com/watch/4269193-the-...meland-edition).

Beyond that, you can take on almost any Beck episode and ask yourself whether his "logical" assessments actually take you anywhere logical, which is not the same as asking whether or not you agree with his conclusion. To evaluate his logic, insert different players and different conclusions to see if the argument remains logical. The rules for evaluating the credibility of factual assertions, and the rules for evaluating the logic of arguments do not depend on whether or not you agree with the results. To act as if they do is like making decisions and then saying proudly that you didn't need to be burdened with a lot of analysis because your gut told you what was right -- Oh, I forgot, we've already spent over eight years fighting a war that was started on that basis.

Jeff,
    I noticed that you didn't provide any examples, so you really didn't answer the question. Deputydog did provide some examples. I read them but am not sure how to make the connection between those comments, distasteful as they may be, and inciting the masses to mayhem. It appears that in the last 5 years, he's discussed murdering Michael Moore, called several women bad names, made "insensitive" comments about Katrina and 9/11 victims, made a spelling error, and stated his opinion that President Obama is a racist.
    Is this the anti-government hate-speech all the liberals are up in arms over?
    I'm curious as to the source for these quotes and the context in which they were said, but it really doesn't matter. I was just curious and I think I got my answer. Thanks.
    Matt McKenzie

It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

"It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    Jeff,
    I noticed that you didn't provide any examples, so you really didn't answer the question. Deputydog did provide some examples. I read them but am not sure how to make the connection between those comments, distasteful as they may be, and inciting the masses to mayhem. It appears that in the last 5 years, he's discussed murdering Michael Moore, called several women bad names, made "insensitive" comments about Katrina and 9/11 victims, made a spelling error, and stated his opinion that President Obama is a racist.
    Is this the anti-government hate-speech all the liberals are up in arms over?
    I'm curious as to the source for these quotes and the context in which they were said, but it really doesn't matter. I was just curious and I think I got my answer. Thanks.
    Maybe you could help us out by stating your definition of hate speech so we know if it coincides with generally accepted definitions.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Maybe you could help us out by stating your definition of hate speech so we know if it coincides with generally accepted definitions.
    I'm not sure if there are any generally accepted definitions. I tend to think that "hate speech" is as meaningless a term as "hate crime". If I say I hate cabbage, I suppose that is hate speech. If I say I hate Muslim terrorists, I guess that must be, too. If I say I hate Muslims, it is the same thing. If I say I hate terrorism, it is the same thing. Or is it? Who decides what I can admit to hating? Is all hate bad? If I hate something but don't talk about it, is that OK? If I think a particular political figure is a very bad example of a human with poor character and questionable morals, can I say so? What if I use a bad word to do it? Is it hate speech?
    As I said before, I don't think there is a "generally accepted" definition of hate speech. I think it is a meaningless phrase used by many people who have a political agenda to advance and is very similar to the "big lie" that Jeff referred to earlier. It is easy to blame someone for hate speech because it doesn't really mean anything, but the average American just accepts the term without thinking about it and makes the intended connection that anyone who uses "hate speech" must be a bad person.
    For example, according to some, if you make the mistake of insinuating that some of the folks that were stranded by Hurricane Katrina had some level of responsibility for their predicament, you are either guilty of racism, hate speech, or both. I just don't buy that line of logic and like to take the time to really think about the meaning of the words people use. Sort of like we've come to accept that it's OK to refer to those who have made a lifetime of bad choices that have resulted in their own poverty, addiction, or whatever as "the less fortunate". As if those of us who have taken responsibility for our own lives are just lucky. We've been taught to refer to donating our money to charity as "giving back" as if everything we own was "given" to us and has nothing to do with our actions or choices, so we are simply giving our property back to the poor people to whom it rightly belongs. Our language has suffered from inattention. We don't really listen to what it is people are saying, so what is completely ridiculous if closely examined becomes "generally accepted". Hence you get terms like "hate speech".
    Matt McKenzie

It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

"It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

matt,
    there is too a thing called "hate speech". i blow it right through the end of my rich-n-tone!
    john mc