RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

newbie update

815 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Socks 
#1 ·
well we have been working on taking it easy and having fun, my non hunted "finished" dog is warming up and starting to smile if you will.
so today i re-introduced the shotgun and she was steady but avoided it on her return retrieve and when the gunner was on my left she was very reluctant to heal on that sideand wanted to curl up in a ball, so obviosily me takeing my so called hunted over dog out to the field has left a bad taste in her mouth.
my plan is go to a .22 out to 20 yrds and slowly move closer ????
then and or when do you add the 12 gauge and do the same ????
thanks

#3 · (Edited)
I had a similar problem with my Chesapeake bitch last year. She had been hunted over for 2 yrs prior to the incident! I dont know what caused the sudden problem but it took some time to get over and she still shows a little bit of "shyness". I ended up getting the gunshy cd that you can buy online. It helped tremendously in my case. Im sure there are other things that you can do that the much more experienced folks on here can tell you about. After using the cd, I actually started back at about 80 yards while my wife threw fun bumpers for her, then moved up in 10 yard increments. I started with the primer pistol then moved up to 12 guage. If she acted like she even noticed the gun at any point I moved back 10 yards. One thing I know for sure...tread lightly and really think about what you do here, because this could be a hole thats tough to dig out of, and it seems to me that you are at a critical edge!

http://www.duckdayz.com/

#4 ·
I would definately start small and at a distance work your way up and give it time- if you rush this it could turn out bad. Go with a .22 then a .209 primer if you can then the 12 guage and just slowly work her into it make sure there is always a distraction. using birds would be great they always seem to help in getting dogs over training humps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.