The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No wonder they wear pink.

Default No wonder they wear pink.

I thought it was for breast-cancer awareness month. After hearing the NFL is reviewing James Harrison's LEGAL hits against the Browns, I think its entirely appropriate that the NFL should wear pink.....year round.

The guy is a monster. He's fast, he's fit. He hits hard. I thought thats what football was about? The Steelers defense caused rule changes in the 1970s with receiver coverage, now, they may bring about new rules about "hitting too hard" or "playing too rough".

To recall Jack Lambert's comments....."maybe they should wear skirts"?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I thought it was for breast-cancer awareness month. After hearing the NFL is reviewing James Harrison's LEGAL hits against the Browns, I think its entirely appropriate that the NFL should wear pink.....year round.

The guy is a monster. He's fast, he's fit. He hits hard. I thought thats what football was about? The Steelers defense caused rule changes in the 1970s with receiver coverage, now, they may bring about new rules about "hitting too hard" or "playing too rough".

Post up a link --- I saw an Eagles receiver take one hell of a hit also but I do not have a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJvKt1vF4GM

Looks to me (as he said later) he actually pulled up at the last second and didn't hit him nearly as hard as he could have. Two, I didn't see him lead with his helmet.

The first hit that took Cribbs out of the game was definitely helmet to helmet, but both players were already in the air, and even the NFL said there was no foul.

I won't blame any team or player that's afraid to line up against James Harrison and Lamar Woodley. Those two are just a notch above the rest.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

The real question is this:

Q: Did you see what happened in the United Football League the other day?

A: Odds are you probably didn't. Why? Because very few people are fans of those teams. Wonder why? Because the talent isn't as high and the players aren't as good.

My point: The league has to protect their players or they'll end up with a bunch of folks from the UFL.

Just sayin....(I also used to like the Nascar rubbin n racin of years gone by, but they've got to figure out how to protect their geese that lay their golden eggs).
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

The easiest and most effective way to protect players from head/neck injuries is to go back to soft helmets.

The cushioning protects the noodle from acceleration/deceration. The hard shell only protects the cushion. On a non-abrasive football field (relatively speaking, compared to asphalt) a canvas or leather cover would do just fine, and take away the sense of being a human torpedo. Not to mention being much lighter, and reducing the moment arm acting upon the neck in whiplash situations. Goggles or some type of modified facemask would need to be fitted to the new helmet.

They will soften the rules for women to enter the draft in a few years anyway, but I doubt they'll let male reporters in the locker room then. I couldn't take a hit from these guys and walk away once, much less every week.

I have to admit that when Desean Jackson from the Eagles was hit yesterday I wasn't sure he would ever walk again. For several minutes he lay unconscious on the field with only the tips of his fingers moving randomly. Now he is listed as having suffered a "severe" concussion. I don't know what the answer is, but I would rather not watch players die on the field as much as I enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I have to admit that when Desean Jackson from the Eagles was hit yesterday I wasn't sure he would ever walk again. For several minutes he lay unconscious on the field with only the tips of his fingers moving randomly. Now he is listed as having suffered a "severe" concussion. I don't know what the answer is, but I would rather not watch players die on the field as much as I enjoy the game.
    Agree. Soft helmets are the answer. Or no helmets. What is the concussion rate for rugby and soccer players. Well, soccer doesn't count, that's a girl's game anyway. But if you're not wearing an armor-clad helmet, you might stop thinking your a rocky mountain bighorn, and play more sensibly. I know, that asking too much!

(sorry about the soccer comment....I grew up in a football town...American football, that is)

JJax: I don't know where you live, but up here, there's some women that if you let them suit up, you wouldn't want to take any hits from them either! Nor would you WANT to go into the women's locker room, unless, maybe, you were trapped underground with 30 other men for 2 months?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

The Steelers defense caused rule changes in the 1970s with receiver coverage, ".

I thought it was the Raiders... Jack Tatum; George Atkinson.... Steeler killers. I remember Lynn Swann and Chuck Knoll even filed a law suit against them.

hey DNF777, from a medical standpoint soft helmets may be the answer but the game is now played by giant behemoth of men who can all run sub 5 second 40 yd dashes on a field of concrete covered by some plastic carpet...the game is way too fast, and its a violent contact sport..back when I used to bartend in the DFW area many of the Cowboy players would frequent our night club and you just dont realize just how big these guys are until you stand next to them or across from them and can barely reach the bottom of their chin, and their hands can palm your head like a grapefruit
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"