The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivermec dosage

Default Ivermec dosage

I can't find Ivermec sold here in SW Iowa so I had my dad bring me some on his last visit. He brought me a bottle of Ivermec for "Grower and Feeder Pigs." It says its a 0.27% Solution. Any guess to how I should cut this?

I use 1% cattle injection. Have you tried Theissens?
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/ivomec-0-27...eder-pigs.html
    According to the insert 1cc to 20 pounds but I would consult with your vet first.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

I also use 1%.

.1cc per 20 lbs on the 1st and 15th of the month. Get a diabetic syringe that measures in .10 cc (ml) increments

Some people dose .1 per 10 lbs once a month

According to the insert 1cc to 20 pounds but I would consult with your vet first.
    Whoa! I am NOT a vet, but:
    WAY TOO HIGH is my guess.

This adivce:
    I also use 1%.

.1cc per 20 lbs on the 1st and 15th of the month. Get a diabetic syringe that measures in .10 cc (ml) increments

Some people dose .1 per 10 lbs once a month
    is more like it for NON-herding breeds. Likely would kill your Border Collie...

Careful.
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 10-19-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: look at: http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59418&highlight=Ivomec&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    Whoa! I am NOT a vet, but:
    WAY TOO HIGH is my guess.

This adivce:
    is more like it for NON-herding breeds. Likely would kill your Border Collie...

Careful.
    Yes. This advice is for NON-HERDING breeds.
    Thanks for the point of clarification Keith.
    Last edited by KNorman; 10-19-2010 at 08:21 AM.

I live in south Louisiana in mosquito heaven and dose at 0.1cc per 10 lb and do give a touch more about 0.1cc to 0.3cc per dosing once monthly. Have never had a dog test positive in over 15 years. I don't use name brand normally, last I purchased Ivomax 1%.I know dogs can tolerate higher doses as this is a treatment used in mange at extreme doses.I am a pharmacist by trade.

The following is repeated from a vet's post on another forum:

Ivomec as a Heartworm Preventative

Ivomec (Do not use Ivomec Plus) is an injectable commercial cattle deworming product that can be used as heartworm preventative for dogs. We recommend this product to some of the clients in our practice who have large breeding operations or kennels as it is much more affordable and practical for those types of owners.

It can be given orally at a dose of 1 ml per 110 lbs and must be given once a month. At this dose it will control hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, ear mites, sarcoptic mange mites and will prevent heartworms also. DO NOT GIVE THIS PRODUCT TO A COLLIE OR SHELTIE OR ANY DOG WHICH IS A MIXED BREED DOG COMPRISED OF ONE OF THESE BREEDS.

It contains Ivermectin as its active ingredient which is also the same active ingredient that is in Heartguard Plus. Heartguard Plus contains Ivermectin and Pyrantel. Ivermectin is the ingredient which prevents heartworms and Pyrantel controls roundworms and hookworms. The dose of ivermectin in Heartguard Plus is much lower than the one listed above because this product is safe to give to all breeds of dogs. IVOMEC IS NOT!

Personally I recommend diluting the Ivomec with Propylene Glycol. The reason for this is that if you don't it is an extremely small dose and it can be difficult to make sure the dog gets the entire dose when dealing with such small amounts. For example a 55 lb dog would only get 1/2 ml. That is a small dose and leaves very little margin for error. Ivermectin is very bitter and dogs don't like it and salivate quite a bit.

The dilution ratio that we use is as follows: 1 ml of Ivermectin to 4 ml of Propylene glycol. If mixed at this ratio, the dose is 1 ml per 20 lbs of body weight given orally once a month.

In my practice we mix 20 ml of Ivermectin with 80 ml of Propylene Glycol to make a 100 ml bottle. If mixed at this ratio, the dose is still 1 ml per 20 lbs of body weight given orally once a month.

Be sure that all dogs put on the Ivomec are heartworm negative prior to starting its use. Because the dosage of Ivermectin is much higher than the one in Heartguard Plus this is very important. Also it is still a very good idea to have your dogs tested for heartworms at least once a year when using Ivomec as a heartworm preventative.

I realize that many will question as to why I would post this kind of information but it is quite simple. I realize that heartworm preventatives can be expensive for some people and for owners of kennels or large breeding facilities it can be a tremendous expense. Personally I would rather give them an option to use a product that I know will be effective rather than see them not use one at all. As I have stated above I do not really recommend this for owners who have only one or two dogs because I do not believe the savings to be that significant in that situation and I think the commercially prepared product is much better for them because of its convenience.

You have to be careful with advice on dosage. Some people give a heartworm dose and some people give a deworming dose which is higher. Best to consult with your vet for your kind of dog and the concentration for only heartworm. I have been using the deworming dose for about 10 years, and the heartworm dose before that for 10 years.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    You have to be careful with advice on dosage. Some people give a heartworm dose and some people give a deworming dose which is higher. Best to consult with your vet for your kind of dog and the concentration for only heartworm. I have been using the deworming dose for about 10 years, and the heartworm dose before that for 10 years.
    forgive my ignorance on the subject, but can you explain a tad more? i would assume a "deworming" dose is to get rid of adult worms already present, so i dont understand why you would do it for so long. i realize its probably not 10 yrs on the same dog, but then that would mean you have multiple dogs with adult worms.

also, i have heard that with a light affliction from adult heartworms you can continue with the prevention dose, that will kill microfilaria and prevent additional adults, but the ones there already will stay but at least dont get any worse.

forgive my ignorance on the subject, but can you explain a tad more? i would assume a "deworming" dose is to get rid of adult worms already present, so i dont understand why you would do it for so long. i realize its probably not 10 yrs on the same dog, but then that would mean you have multiple dogs with adult worms.

Lots of people give the deworming dose (1cc per 110#), especially now with failure of the Heartguard. I dilute it as Ken says for puppies to be more accurate. All of my dogs open their mouths for the stuff and make faces, one even before she gets it. I have less problems with roundworms in pups by doing it this way also. The heartworm dose is = to what is in heartguard. Never had a positive heartworm case.
    Nancy P