The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivermec dosage

Quote Originally Posted by keskam View Post
    Were do you find the propylene Glycol? I have called all over.
    You can order it online from any number of places for $18-$30 per gallon.

1% ivermectin solution = 10 mg/ml = 10,000 mcg/ml

heartworm preventative dose 6-12 mcg/kg, 1cc 1% ivermectin in 29 cc propylene glycol yields approx 333 mcg/ml so that 1cc of the mixture approximates the concentration in Heartgard tablets for large dogs (272 mcg)

PLEASE NOTE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MILLIGRAMS (mg) AND MICROGRAMS (mcg)

one milligram = 1000 micrograms

for years people have used the anti-intestinal parasite dose of 100 mcg/lb monthly = 0.01cc per lb or 0.1 ml of 1% ivermectin per 10 lbs body weight as a single monthly dose for heartworm prevention and worming for hookworms and roundworms

this is off label use which I neither condone or recommend, I merely offer the pharmacological information available from various veterinary pharmaceutical drug handbooks

COLLIES, SHETLAND SHEEPDOGS, OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOGS, BORDER COLLIES, AND OTHER HERDING BREEDS are highly sensitive to toxicity hence the low dosage label of Heartgard tablets that is safe for all breeds

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by keskam View Post
    Were do you find the propylene Glycol? I have called all over.
    Revivalanimal.com

Thank You for the info!!
    HRCH Rocky Mountain Rosco SH (RIP)
    HRCH Satins Jumpin Jedi MH (600+points)
    HRCH 4X GMPR KB's Snakey Jake of Poudre River MH (600+points)
    HRCH APR Lady Satin of Black Forest JH
    HRCH MPR KB's It Showtime of Bearpoint (Star) JH
    HRCH KB's Loaded to go Allie SH
    HRCH 2XGMPR KB's Blazin White Thunder (Blaze) SH
    HRCH 4XGMPR KBs Right To The Point Ike SH
    HRCH 3XGMPR KBs Hunters Dream JH
    HRCH GMPR KBs They Call Me Beau JH
    HR 2XGMPR KBs Princess Sage JH

My lab was prescribed Ivomec for mites/mange...once a week for eight weeks. Is this the same as the 1% Ivermectin sold at Fleet Farm and considerably cheaper? Shouldn't my other lab be treated too? Also, I give the once a month Interceptor for heartworms but isn't that over-doing it?
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

I've read this thread and have a science background (degree in Chemistry from UI). Given that...and in my opinion....there is advice in this thread that is totally off base and results in gross over-dosing. The power of the Internet is obvious......"say something often enough and it must be true".

1 ml of water = 1 CC of water
    1 CC of water = 1 gram
    0.1 ml of water = 0.1 gram
    0.1 ml (CC) of a 1% Ivermectin solution = 0.001 grams of Ivermectin

1 gram = 1,000,000 microgram
    0.001 gram = 1,000 microgram
    a dose of Heartguard for 50-100 pound dog contains 273 micrograms of Ivermectin

note: Keep in mind there is another ingredient in Heartguard which has a synergistic impact on the overall dosage.

which basically "says"....using 0.1 cc of a 1% solution of swine Ivermectin is equivalent to giving a dog almost 3.7 times the correct dose. Using 1 ml (CC) of the 1% solution is delivering 37 times the correct dose......EACH month.

Now assuming I am just another Internet poster.....providing just my opinion.....don't you think it might be a good idea to avoid Internet "voting" to determine the truth?

note: My dogs get Interceptor tablets every month and are tested for heart worms & others every year.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 01-27-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

The routine dose for heartworms that simulates the dose in heartguard is different (much lower)than the deworming dose. I used the heartworm only dose for many years but was given the other higher dose for intestinal parasites by two different vets and I am comfortable with it after about 10 years. The dose for mites is even higher yet, but again, not for collies shelties and mixes of those breeds.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    I've read this thread and have a science background (degree in Chemistry from UI). Given that...and in my opinion....there is advice in this thread that is totally off base and results in gross over-dosing. The power of the Internet is obvious......"say something often enough and it must be true".

1 CC of water = 1 gram

note: Keep in mind there is another ingredient in Heartguard which has a synergistic impact on the overall dosage.

which basically "says"....using 0.1 cc of a 1% solution of swine Ivermectin is equivalent to giving a dog almost 3.7 times the correct dose. Using 1 ml (CC) of the 1% solution is delivering 37 times the correct dose......EACH month.

Now assuming I am just another Internet poster.....providing just my opinion.....don't you think it might be a good idea to avoid Internet "voting" to determine the truth?

note: My dogs get Interceptor tablets every month and are tested for heart worms & others every year.
    You did get that there is a "difference" between the "heartworm dosage" and the regular worming dosage correct?

Heartworms (like in Heartguard) take a lot less to kill off (as a preventative) than other worms.

Which dosage are you referring to is "over dosing"??

Dr Ed posted .1 cc per 10 lbs for heartworm dosage. What are you referring to?

WRL
    Last edited by WRL; 01-27-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post

1 CC of water = 1 gram

Excellent post Jim.

And remember, it may actually be cheaper to use commercial heartworm preparations for one or two-dog households, because the good ones, while more expensive than the livestock injectable ivermectin, come with a guarantee that pays for treatment if the dog gets heartworms when using the product as directed. Using livestock ivermectin (which is usually labeled NOT FOR USE ON DOGS) is an "off label" use so vets cannot recommend it for liability reasons.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Excellent post Jim.

And remember, it may actually be cheaper to use commercial heartworm preparations for one or two-dog households, because the good ones, while more expensive than the livestock injectable ivermectin, come with a guarantee that pays for treatment if the dog gets heartworms when using the product as directed. Using livestock ivermectin (which is usually labeled NOT FOR USE ON DOGS) is an "off label" use so vets cannot recommend it for liability reasons.
    I hear you, but I wonder how many of us have not had any positive HW tests that use the higher dose. Because the Heartguard dose is adjusted to be safe for all dogs, it might end up not being enough for dogs with high exposure. That's a research project.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

...which basically "says"....using 0.1 cc of a 1% solution of swine Ivermectin is equivalent to giving a dog almost 3.7 times the correct dose.
    Define "correct" dose.

Down here in the lower Mississippi valley, we've had so many breakthroughs with HeartGuard, I'm dubious as to it's effectiveness at all (because I think the dosage is too low).

There are too many competitive dogs whose owners' are diligent in administering preventative that have come down with hw's to overlook that something is going on. You cannot possibly convince me that ht and ft dogs aren't administered preventative more diligently than the general public, yet we're still seeing breakthroughs.

I administer .1ml per 20 lbs twice a month.