The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ivermec dosage

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    I've read this thread and have a science background ....
    Reminds me of one of my favorite science quotes:

http://www.twainquotes.com/Conjecture.html

==

(For most people with one or two dogs the latest products from your vet are likely best. If you're going off label carefully, you likely need some VETERINARY sicence... but:

http://www.twainquotes.com/Science.html

I don't think much of Merial's "guarantee" and I don't see the point of relying on a company whose product doesn't work in the first place to remedy an infestation that's not prevented by said product. I will spare my dogs running that gauntlet.

This is a HUGE problem in my area. We're at the epicenter of the heartworm problem (Baton Rouge). Frankly, I don't know anyone locally who is in the FT/HT game that uses HeartGuard anymore.
    Last edited by KNorman; 01-27-2011 at 11:33 AM.

EdA said:
    heartworm preventative dose 6-12 mcg/kg, 1cc 1% ivermectin in 29 cc propylene glycol yields approx 333 mcg/ml so that 1cc of the mixture approximates the concentration in Heartgard tablets for large dogs (272 mcg)............

for years people have used the anti-intestinal parasite dose of 100 mcg/lb monthly = 0.01cc per lb or 0.1 ml of 1% ivermectin per 10 lbs body weight as a single monthly dose for heartworm prevention and worming for hookworms and roundworms.........

this is off label use which I neither condone or recommend.......
    I agree with these quotes (and the rest of the post).

Keith Stroyan said:
    (For most people with one or two dogs the latest products from your vet are likely best. If you're going off label carefully, you likely need some VETERINARY sicence...
    I did call my vet seeking "VETERINARY science" before before posting on this thread

BS degree in Organic Chemistry regards, Jim
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 01-27-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

I've read this thread and have a science background (degree in Chemistry from UI). Given that...and in my opinion....there is advice in this thread that is totally off base and results in gross over-dosing. The power of the Internet is obvious......"say something often enough and it must be true".
    I run an email list for Duck Tollers which has almost 1,000 subscribers. The one subject that has been forbidden is discussion of off label use of ivermectin. The one time it was discussed, in the first 5 messages there where 5 wildly different (and all overdose) directions on administering the drug. I've banned the topic since that time...almost 15 years now.

Eric

BS degree in Organic Chemistry regards, Jim
    I also have a background in Chemistry, and what jumps out at me from this thread is possible uneven mixing of the Ivermectin solution with propylene glycol. Getting things evenly mixed usually takes a lot more mixing than people expect. I don't have experience with propylene glycol but expect it's viscous. It would take good, thorough mechanical mixing to distribute the drug evenly throughout the solution. If it's not evenly distributed, then the dose you draw out in 1 mL could be anything from almost nothing to almost all of the Ivomec you added.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    I also have a background in Chemistry, and what jumps out at me from this thread is possible uneven mixing of the Ivermectin solution with propylene glycol. Getting things evenly mixed usually takes a lot more mixing than people expect. I don't have experience with propylene glycol but expect it's viscous. It would take good, thorough mechanical mixing to distribute the drug evenly throughout the solution. If it's not evenly distributed, then the dose you draw out in 1 mL could be anything from almost nothing to almost all of the Ivomec you added.

Amy Dahl
    You are correct that propylene glycol is viscous and you are usually doing a 1:20 dilution and I'm sure the ordinary person does not know how to mix. Being a Med Tech I do know how to mix properly and that can come up when you are making dilutions. I make a dilution for puppies so I get the correct dosage but many people may not be mixing properly for the heartworm dose, and therefore would be better off with the Heartguard for several dogs. You don't need a mechanical mixer but you do need to invert enough times to mix. The 1% ivermectin itself is in propylene glycol.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Stupid question, why do you want to mix it?

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    If you are going to dilute it to the lower dose, you have to mix it or the concentration will be off, but you are putting the same diluent in that it is originally diluted with. In other words, you can't mix it with water or saline or a buffer.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post

1. It tastes foul and they hate it
    2. Makes it easier to measure out a dose and give it to the dog when the amount is a little larger and finally
    3. Because the miniscule single-dose amount of the livestock dewormer is hard to measure especially if you're over 46 (far sighted) and can't see the tiny little notches on the syringe.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I've never seen the need to mix it.

I draw .4ml (cc) out of the bottle for each dog and drop it into a Pill Pocket, seal it mostly shut and the dogs gulp it down. No mess, no fuss, and no wrestling.