The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ivermec dosage

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    1. It tastes foul and they hate it
    2. Makes it easier to measure out a dose and give it to the dog when the amount is a little larger and finally
    3. Because the miniscule single-dose amount of the livestock dewormer is hard to measure especially if you're over 46 (far sighted) and can't see the tiny little notches on the syringe.
    Use a 1cc TB or insulin syringe. I think it's the propylene glycol they don't like so it would be the same thing it's diluted into. Mine just learn to open their mouthes.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    Use a 1cc TB or insulin syringe. I think it's the propylene glycol they don't like so it would be the same thing it's diluted into. Mine just learn to open their mouthes.
    Yes, I also use a diabetic syringe measured in .1cc increments. Much easier than a regular 1cc increment syringe.

A doctor friend just gives me a new one whenever the numbers wear off.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    I don't dilute mine and I don't know if the propolene glycol is distasteful, but the looks on their faces leaves no doubt that the Ivomec is NOT tasty

My tallest horse (17 hands) hates it so he always gets wormed first because if he smells it on my hands he's a PITA, cranes his head so high I can't get it in his mouth and/or rears back and breaks lead ropes if I get the stepladder out. But the horses only get it 2x a year--and the dogs are easier to muscle around if they decide they'd rather not have it. And I do use the little teeny syringes and it's really hard to see the notches on them these days. Just wait, your day will come!
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I have suck up some soda pop in the syringe, after I measured up ivemec. Cuts the bitterness.

I don't mix it either and I dose when I take them out of the trailer to put back in their kennels and its a mad dash to their runs to get some water after it goes down.

I mix it with the propylene glycol, then I put it on their food once a month. You just have to watch them eat their food to make sure they get it all.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by KNorman View Post
    Yes, I also use a diabetic syringe measured in .1cc increments. Much easier than a regular 1cc increment syringe.

A doctor friend just gives me a new one whenever the numbers wear off.

A diabetic or insulin syringe measures in units, for drawing up insulin. A TB syringe measures in tenths of a cc or 0.1cc.
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    A diabetic or insulin syringe measures in units, for drawing up insulin. A TB syringe measures in tenths of a cc or 0.1cc.
    Thank you for the clarification. I use the TB syringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Archer View Post
    The following is repeated from a vet's post on another forum:

Ivomec as a Heartworm Preventative

Ivomec (Do not use Ivomec Plus) is an injectable commercial cattle deworming product that can be used as heartworm preventative for dogs. We recommend this product to some of the clients in our practice who have large breeding operations or kennels as it is much more affordable and practical for those types of owners.

It can be given orally at a dose of 1 ml per 110 lbs and must be given once a month. At this dose it will control hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, ear mites, sarcoptic mange mites and will prevent heartworms also. DO NOT GIVE THIS PRODUCT TO A COLLIE OR SHELTIE OR ANY DOG WHICH IS A MIXED BREED DOG COMPRISED OF ONE OF THESE BREEDS.

It contains Ivermectin as its active ingredient which is also the same active ingredient that is in Heartguard Plus. Heartguard Plus contains Ivermectin and Pyrantel. Ivermectin is the ingredient which prevents heartworms and Pyrantel controls roundworms and hookworms. The dose of ivermectin in Heartguard Plus is much lower than the one listed above because this product is safe to give to all breeds of dogs. IVOMEC IS NOT!

Personally I recommend diluting the Ivomec with Propylene Glycol. The reason for this is that if you don't it is an extremely small dose and it can be difficult to make sure the dog gets the entire dose when dealing with such small amounts. For example a 55 lb dog would only get 1/2 ml. That is a small dose and leaves very little margin for error. Ivermectin is very bitter and dogs don't like it and salivate quite a bit.

The dilution ratio that we use is as follows: 1 ml of Ivermectin to 4 ml of Propylene glycol. If mixed at this ratio, the dose is 1 ml per 20 lbs of body weight given orally once a month.

In my practice we mix 20 ml of Ivermectin with 80 ml of Propylene Glycol to make a 100 ml bottle. If mixed at this ratio, the dose is still 1 ml per 20 lbs of body weight given orally once a month.

Be sure that all dogs put on the Ivomec are heartworm negative prior to starting its use. Because the dosage of Ivermectin is much higher than the one in Heartguard Plus this is very important. Also it is still a very good idea to have your dogs tested for heartworms at least once a year when using Ivomec as a heartworm preventative.

I realize that many will question as to why I would post this kind of information but it is quite simple. I realize that heartworm preventatives can be expensive for some people and for owners of kennels or large breeding facilities it can be a tremendous expense. Personally I would rather give them an option to use a product that I know will be effective rather than see them not use one at all. As I have stated above I do not really recommend this for owners who have only one or two dogs because I do not believe the savings to be that significant in that situation and I think the commercially prepared product is much better for them because of its convenience.
    I realize this is a copy paste from another forum and this conversation is several years old, but I just received my new Ivermax and with every new shipment I ask for the off label recipe for heartworm, in case it's been revised or updated in any way. That being said what I was given varies a great deal from what the Vet is suggesting........

My instructions (as per the Ivermax distributor I order through) to dilute are: .5cc Ivermax (Ivermectin 1%) : 30cc Propylene Glycol
    and instructions for dosage are: 1cc/20#

Interested in any thoughts on this, thanks in advance for your time! Gonna be a beautiful day to be outside with Retrievers here in PA! I hope you all are enjoying a beautiful day too!!