The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: ARF's oppose deer cull at Valley Forge NHP

Default ARF's oppose deer cull at Valley Forge NHP

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...k-november7040

After a long legal fight VFNHP is finally going to start its deer cull next month.
    The Friends of Animals and Compassion for Animals, Respect for the Environment, wanted the National Park Service to introduce coyotes into the park, (only 3500 acres surrounded by development, including the King of Prussia Mall) in order to reduce the deer population. Do these lunatics think that the 'yotes would actually stay inside the park boundaries, not chase the deer out and across the roads and highways, causing more accidents, and then not turn on the cats, dogs, kids etc of the community? Even FoA's website notes how "Coyotes’ ability to adapt to their environment, in short, allows them to thrive in human-dominated areas."
    These idiots even opposed using birth control on the deer to try and reduce the population.(But I'd bet that they'd enthusiacstically support it for humans)
    Lee Hall, legal director for Friends of Animals, said in an interview a year ago. “Killing deer is not the answer to the decline of plant life in a sprawling, concrete-covered suburb.”
    Allison Memmo Geiger, president of CARE, added that she didn't know what was worse, “shooting deer or compromising their social and reproductive interactions by imposing birth control on them.
    How many thousands of $'s were wasted in legal/court costs wrangling this thing out that could have been actually spent on the park in these time of shrinking budgets?

I'm unable to find out any more about who the "sharpshooters" will be, (area hunters, park/gov employees?) but hopefully they will be able keep the game and maybe do something like donate some to area food banks or shelters to help feed the hungry/homeless. Dnf/Yardley have any local info?

But even in the face of this finally common sense approach, the shooters will have to use non-lead environmentally friendly bullets. (Barnes X bullets?)

Our country is going insane!
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

The counties north and east of mine go through this annually. Although I'm only 55 miles from D.C., my county, Fauquier, is still rural (you know, gun in one hand, thumping the bible with the other ) so deer hunting is welcomed and even the handful of tree huggers that live here keep their mouths shut. But as soon as the blow-ins take over these once-rural counties, paving and strip-malling everything in the name of modern conveniences, the deer take over too.

Although I've noticed that as the deer population increases exponentially, the tree hugger protests become weaker. I guess a few landscaper bills of $50,000 to try to find something that's not a deer salad bar and/or a few repair bills or even totalling a $65,000 SUV will do that to a person.

There's a wildlife refuge about 15 miles south of Washington D.C., not far from Mount Vernon on a peninsula called Mason's Neck at the confluence of the Occoquan and Potomac rivers. In the early 1980s I boarded a horse at a farm there, and remembered riding horseback through the trails and seeing bald eagles when they were still very rare. The neighbors used to be Lorton Prison and Fort Belvoir, but the former 7,000-acre D.C. prison subsequently sold to developers and the whole area's now home to a mixed bag of development from pricey gated waterfront communities to high density residential/commercial.

As you can imagine the deer population there quickly shot out of control, denuded the forests as high as they could reach and then started working on landscaping and yards. In fact I chuckle when I drive by the grand entrances to these new subdivisions with hundreds of thousands of dollars of expensive landscaping--and always herds of deer eating it as fast as it's put in.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    These idiots even opposed using birth control on the deer to try and reduce the population.(But I'd bet that they'd enthusiacstically support it for humans)
    Lee Hall, legal director for Friends of Animals, said in an interview a year ago. “Killing deer is not the answer to the decline of plant life in a sprawling, concrete-covered suburb.”
    Allison Memmo Geiger, president of CARE, added that she didn't know what was worse, “shooting deer or compromising their social and reproductive interactions by imposing birth control on them.
    How many thousands of $'s were wasted in legal/court costs wrangling this thing out that could have been actually spent on the park in these time of shrinking budgets?

LMAO...yes these people tend to think animal rights are more important than human lives. At least in Virginia, it's pretty easy to get on the lists of various places usually off-limits to hunters to help thin the ranks of nuisance species. The only one I've heard is tough is Dulles Airport, because it's federally managed. It adjoins a NOAA weather facility comprising thousands of acres of fenced undeveloped land loaded with deer and resident Canadas. I know lots of people who've been able to hunt the many other restricted areas, though and as I understand it, it's not hard to get on the lists. I think the popluar ones pick hunters with appropriate credentials by lottery. I'd imagine PA has something similar.

IF They want the deer gone just have the state of wis dnr manage it for a year or two. There wont be a deer in the whole state.

Quote Originally Posted by starjack View Post
    IF They want the deer gone just have the state of wis dnr manage it for a year or two. There wont be a deer in the whole state.
    And, no WOLVES either!!

The WIDNR said so!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    And, no WOLVES either!!

The WIDNR said so!!!

RK
    RIGHT NO MOUNTAIN LIONS ETHIER!!!