The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Real Truth About Jobs & Oil Spill

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    If I understand your question, you are asking what is happening to the barbers and snow cone sellers if the off-shore guys are not working. My point is the fabricators, engineers, mechinist, etc. have added work because of this, so they are creating jobs because of the disaster that were not there before the spill. So barbers are cutting fabricators hair now.
    I expect this workload is made from whole cloth.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Franco the shale wells are expensive but they are not slowing down At 40 million feet of gas a day they can afford them. I bank a company that trucks frac sand and I can keep up with their truck needs and they currently have 400 trucks running and the backlog on these wells is because they can't get sand to complete them.

Franco the shale wells are expensive but they are not slowing down At 40 million feet of gas a day they can afford them. I bank a company that trucks frac sand and I can keep up with their truck needs and they currently have 400 trucks running and the backlog on these wells is because they can't get sand to complete them.
    Sambo, that 40 million feet of gas is NATURAL GAS! We have 30 x's that supply inland right here in S La. that we don't even bother drilling for except on a limited bases because natural gas is not in demand like gasoline.

Drilling for oil that can be refined into gasoline is what the American people need!

The largest oil field fabricator in the world is located in New Iberia, la. They are still laying people off because of "no new permits being issued". The suppliers are also laying folks off because Obama is trying to punish the oil companies when in reality, he is punishing the workers as drilling is being moved to other countries by the oil companies.
    Last edited by Franco; 10-20-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

What I said is the service industry is on fire meeting the new demands. I never said that roughnecks were not out of work. My point is the new requirements are making more jobs than were lost. I sure though that a roughneck can go work in a fab shop if they desire.
    Not only rough necks getting laid off at $90k per year. Being laidoff are fabricators, engineers, tool pushers, caterers etc. Which is being spilled over to ALL support industries!
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Sambo, that 40 million feet of gas is NATURAL GAS! We have 30 x's that supply inland right here in S La. that we don't even bother drilling for except on a limited bases because natural gas is not in demand like gasoline.

Drilling for oil that can be refined into gasoline is what the American people need!
    I thought they needed jobs...you might need to move up to north LA....Gas has always made more jobs in our region than oil...High natural gas prices have always meant more jobs.....this time they are making wells in these shale plays even though the price is low because hte volume of the wells make it econiomical.

Why are you fighting this arguement. This is positive and good for americans. Now it does have its downside. A bunch more yankees are going to move down here, but that was not all bad back in the 80s. They have good looking women up there.

I thought they needed jobs...you might need to move up to north LA....Gas has always made more jobs in our region than oil...High natural gas prices have always meant more jobs.....this time they are making wells in these shale plays even though the price is low because hte volume of the wells make it econiomical.

Why are you fighting this arguement. This is positive and good for americans. Now it does have its downside. A bunch more yankees are going to move down here, but that was not all bad back in the 80s. They have good looking women up there.
    I think it is great that natural gas exploration is hiring more people. However, it won't come close to the high paying jobs lost in drilling for oil that can be made into gasoline! Nor will the natural gas production make up for the lost taxes and it will take a long time for domestic drilling to come back.

What major oil company is going to want to invest in drilling in a country with falkey government? For the same reason oil companies are moving their corporate HQ out of the USA and to Dubai. They know that the Dems are hostile to oil production!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    We have 30 x's that supply inland right here in S La. that we don't even bother drilling for except on a limited bases because natural gas is not in demand like gasoline.

Sounds to me, what American people need is an education system that will turn out:

1) engineers to design efficient, sexy, high-perfromance CNG powered cars

2) engineers to design safe, efficient, eco-friendly ways to extract all that natural gas ya'll are sittin on down there.

3) campaign and lobby finance reform to limit the power of oil companies to squash #1 and #2 above.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

What difference does it make if they are drilling for gas or oil. They are still drilling and need pipe, frac sand, pump trucks, water disposal, etc......bottom line jobs
    A huge difference! It takes almost 40 times the people per rig drilling for oil than natural gas. Natural gas drilling jobs pay much less and the demand is for gasoline not natural gas!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Sounds to me, what American people need is an education system that will turn out:

1) engineers to design efficient, sexy, high-perfromance CNG powered cars

2) engineers to design safe, efficient, eco-friendly ways to extract all that natural gas ya'll are sittin on down there.

3) campaign and lobby finance reform to limit the power of oil companies to squash #1 and #2 above.
    I'll be the first inline to buy a CNG powered truck when the factory starts building them. As it is now, I have to drive out of my way to buy pure gasoline (without ethanol).
    Last edited by Franco; 10-20-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Sorry Sambo,
    You are comparing apples to oranges...... oil rig workers make real money..... most of the natural gas workers are making barely above minimum wage. Most are paid labor, and truck drivers........ no comparison at all to the deep water oil industry. Dont get me wrong, here in PA, natural gas exploration IS providing jobs. Just not the same caliber of personnel..... sorry.