Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: my duty is done....

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Of tissues??

RK
    Oreo Cakesters

Banned

If everybody else used 4, that 3 would be KING!!!

RK
    In a hunt test, not a field trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    In a hunt test, not a field trial.
    I have worked FT's where whistles are used on blinds.
    (worked, not run)
    Can't say every dog did, didn't see them all, but of what I saw they all got handled.

Maybe your dogs down there are just better than WI dogs, or maybe you are trumping a point!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Oreo Cakesters
    OHHHH, because there is more whining on this thread than in a Sunday night women's bowling league, I thought we needed tissues!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Banned

I have worked FT's where whistles are used on blinds.
    (worked, not run)
    Can't say every dog did, didn't see them all, but of what I saw they all got handled.

Maybe your dogs down there are just better than WI dogs, or maybe you are trumping a point!

RK
    i voted today, so now i can do something far far more important on Nov 2 - pick up my new puppy!!!!!

by the way - master pass #3 this past weekend - by far my boy's best test performance yet. if it had been judged as a field trial he would have won hands down. the 3 blinds were 1, 2, and 2 whistles with less than 10 ft offline. nailed all the marks - except the last one, but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. only 8 of 25 ran the first series clean, then only 3 ran the 2nd clean, and one of those had a handle in series one. so only one dog had zero handles, but it was very very piggish and slow, zero style or ambition, and 4-8 whistle blinds run at a fast walk. totally does the work, just not a joy to watch.

Most dogs down here handle on blinds also but I have had a few dogs that lined the land blind in both field trials and hunt tests I even had a few dogs line the water blinds, However, David said his dog nailed all the marks - except the last one but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. We are now talking about marks not blinds Whistles on marks does not necessarily make a dog a winner at a field trial. I had 2 whistles on a last bird of the last series and did not even get a green in a Qualifying stake.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 10-21-2010 at 12:53 PM.

i voted today, so now i can do something far far more important on Nov 2 - pick up my new puppy!!!!!

by the way - master pass #3 this past weekend - by far my boy's best test performance yet. if it had been judged as a field trial he would have won hands down. the 3 blinds were 1, 2, and 2 whistles with less than 10 ft offline. nailed all the marks - except the last one, but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. only 8 of 25 ran the first series clean, then only 3 ran the 2nd clean, and one of those had a handle in series one. so only one dog had zero handles, but it was very very piggish and slow, zero style or ambition, and 4-8 whistle blinds run at a fast walk. totally does the work, just not a joy to watch.

Most dogs down here handle on blinds also but I have had a few dogs that lined the land blind in both field trials and hunt tests, However, David said his dog nailed all the marks - except the last one but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. We are now talking about marks not blinds Whistles on marks does not necessarily make a dog a winner at a field trial. I had 2 whistles on a last bird of the last series and did not even get a green in a Qualifying stake.
    Your right, I was thinking blinds.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Most dogs down here handle on blinds also but I have had a few dogs that lined the land blind in both field trials and hunt tests I even had a few dogs line the water blinds, However, David said his dog nailed all the marks - except the last one but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. We are now talking about marks not blinds Whistles on marks does not necessarily make a dog a winner at a field trial. I had 2 whistles on a last bird of the last series and did not even get a green in a Qualifying stake.
    My understanding of Field Trials is that you're competing against the other dogs not the standard. So if he 3 whistled the mark and all the other dogs 4 whistled....he would still win...

Banned

Your right, I was thinking blinds.

RK
    I had one of my females line the first land blind (about 200 yards long) of a double land blind only to pick up the bird and on the way in decided she was hungry and started eating on the bird. The bird I was a previous flyer and I believe that it had some of its guts hanging out before she picked it up. She had never before or after that trial chewed on a bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    My understanding of Field Trials is that you're competing against the other dogs not the standard. So if he 3 whistled the mark and all the other dogs 4 whistled....he would still win...
    However, that one dog that nailed every mark, but was "piggy", could well have taken home the blue assuming the 4-8 whistle blinds did not involve any cast refusals (i.e. no progress to the bird).

Handling on a mark is a pretty serious fault in FT's. The exception is when one dog handles quickly and cleanly to the mark while the other has a monster hunt, including diversions out of the area of fall, before finally stumbling on the bird. A dog that goes slowly to every bird, but gets all the birds without major hunts and without being handled will likely win in the absence of a more stylish dog that marks as well.

None of this has anything to do with Dave's dog's performance. Three Master passes is a good thing and needs no comparison with field trials, which are a completely different game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    Again, there does not have to be any winner or placement in a field trial. If all the dogs have substandard work ie (handling on a mark/marks) the judges could decide not to award any placements.

I recently took an AKC test to requalify myself as a judge. One of the questions I missed was a true/false question having to do with placements. I believe the question was something like this --- T/F there has to be a winner in every stake at a field trial.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 10-21-2010 at 01:23 PM.