The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: my duty is done....

  1. #31
    Senior Member Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Of tissues??

    RK
    Oreo Cakesters

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    If everybody else used 4, that 3 would be KING!!!


    RK
    In a hunt test, not a field trial.

  3. #33
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    In a hunt test, not a field trial.
    I have worked FT's where whistles are used on blinds.
    (worked, not run)
    Can't say every dog did, didn't see them all, but of what I saw they all got handled.

    Maybe your dogs down there are just better than WI dogs, or maybe you are trumping a point!


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  4. #34
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Oreo Cakesters
    OHHHH, because there is more whining on this thread than in a Sunday night women's bowling league, I thought we needed tissues!!



    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I have worked FT's where whistles are used on blinds.
    (worked, not run)
    Can't say every dog did, didn't see them all, but of what I saw they all got handled.

    Maybe your dogs down there are just better than WI dogs, or maybe you are trumping a point!


    RK
    i voted today, so now i can do something far far more important on Nov 2 - pick up my new puppy!!!!!

    by the way - master pass #3 this past weekend - by far my boy's best test performance yet. if it had been judged as a field trial he would have won hands down. the 3 blinds were 1, 2, and 2 whistles with less than 10 ft offline. nailed all the marks - except the last one, but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. only 8 of 25 ran the first series clean, then only 3 ran the 2nd clean, and one of those had a handle in series one. so only one dog had zero handles, but it was very very piggish and slow, zero style or ambition, and 4-8 whistle blinds run at a fast walk. totally does the work, just not a joy to watch.


    Most dogs down here handle on blinds also but I have had a few dogs that lined the land blind in both field trials and hunt tests I even had a few dogs line the water blinds, However, David said his dog nailed all the marks - except the last one but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. We are now talking about marks not blinds Whistles on marks does not necessarily make a dog a winner at a field trial. I had 2 whistles on a last bird of the last series and did not even get a green in a Qualifying stake.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 10-21-2010 at 12:53 PM.

  6. #36
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    i voted today, so now i can do something far far more important on Nov 2 - pick up my new puppy!!!!!

    by the way - master pass #3 this past weekend - by far my boy's best test performance yet. if it had been judged as a field trial he would have won hands down. the 3 blinds were 1, 2, and 2 whistles with less than 10 ft offline. nailed all the marks - except the last one, but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. only 8 of 25 ran the first series clean, then only 3 ran the 2nd clean, and one of those had a handle in series one. so only one dog had zero handles, but it was very very piggish and slow, zero style or ambition, and 4-8 whistle blinds run at a fast walk. totally does the work, just not a joy to watch.


    Most dogs down here handle on blinds also but I have had a few dogs that lined the land blind in both field trials and hunt tests, However, David said his dog nailed all the marks - except the last one but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. We are now talking about marks not blinds Whistles on marks does not necessarily make a dog a winner at a field trial. I had 2 whistles on a last bird of the last series and did not even get a green in a Qualifying stake.
    Your right, I was thinking blinds.


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    i voted today, so now i can do something far far more important on Nov 2 - pick up my new puppy!!!!!

    by the way - master pass #3 this past weekend - by far my boy's best test performance yet. if it had been judged as a field trial he would have won hands down. the 3 blinds were 1, 2, and 2 whistles with less than 10 ft offline. nailed all the marks - except the last one, but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. only 8 of 25 ran the first series clean, then only 3 ran the 2nd clean, and one of those had a handle in series one. so only one dog had zero handles, but it was very very piggish and slow, zero style or ambition, and 4-8 whistle blinds run at a fast walk. totally does the work, just not a joy to watch.


    Most dogs down here handle on blinds also but I have had a few dogs that lined the land blind in both field trials and hunt tests I even had a few dogs line the water blinds, However, David said his dog nailed all the marks - except the last one but 3 clean whistles had it in his mouth. We are now talking about marks not blinds Whistles on marks does not necessarily make a dog a winner at a field trial. I had 2 whistles on a last bird of the last series and did not even get a green in a Qualifying stake.
    My understanding of Field Trials is that you're competing against the other dogs not the standard. So if he 3 whistled the mark and all the other dogs 4 whistled....he would still win...

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Your right, I was thinking blinds.


    RK
    I had one of my females line the first land blind (about 200 yards long) of a double land blind only to pick up the bird and on the way in decided she was hungry and started eating on the bird. The bird I was a previous flyer and I believe that it had some of its guts hanging out before she picked it up. She had never before or after that trial chewed on a bird.

  9. #39
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    My understanding of Field Trials is that you're competing against the other dogs not the standard. So if he 3 whistled the mark and all the other dogs 4 whistled....he would still win...
    However, that one dog that nailed every mark, but was "piggy", could well have taken home the blue assuming the 4-8 whistle blinds did not involve any cast refusals (i.e. no progress to the bird).

    Handling on a mark is a pretty serious fault in FT's. The exception is when one dog handles quickly and cleanly to the mark while the other has a monster hunt, including diversions out of the area of fall, before finally stumbling on the bird. A dog that goes slowly to every bird, but gets all the birds without major hunts and without being handled will likely win in the absence of a more stylish dog that marks as well.

    None of this has anything to do with Dave's dog's performance. Three Master passes is a good thing and needs no comparison with field trials, which are a completely different game.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    My understanding of Field Trials is that you're competing against the other dogs not the standard. So if he 3 whistled the mark and all the other dogs 4 whistled....he would still win...
    Again, there does not have to be any winner or placement in a field trial. If all the dogs have substandard work ie (handling on a mark/marks) the judges could decide not to award any placements.

    I recently took an AKC test to requalify myself as a judge. One of the questions I missed was a true/false question having to do with placements. I believe the question was something like this --- T/F there has to be a winner in every stake at a field trial.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 10-21-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •