The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: my duty is done....

  1. #41
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    OHHHH, because there is more whining on this thread than in a Sunday night women's bowling league, I thought we needed tissues!!



    RK
    LMAO!!

    As long as there's no women...who bowl...in leagues....on Sunday....on this forum....You're probably ok!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Again, there does not have to be any winner or placement in a field trial. If all the dogs have substandard work ie (handling on a mark/marks) the judges could decide not to award any placements.

    I recently took an AKC test to requalify myself as a judge. One of the questions I missed was a true/false question having to do with placements. I believe the question was something like this --- T/F there has to be a winner in every stake at a field trial.
    i understand what you are saying, but if the only hickey on a given dog is a handle on one mark, would it not be fair to place it? my point is if dogs get carried on to a following series after having a handle it would be pointless if it had no chance of ever placing. by carrying it, the judge is showing he still has a shot.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    i understand what you are saying, but if the only hickey on a given dog is a handle on one mark, would it not be fair to place it? my point is if dogs get carried on to a following series after having a handle it would be pointless if it had no chance of ever placing. by carrying it, the judge is showing he still has a shot.
    David, it is a judges decision on which dogs to place and in which order or if no placements at all are warranted. In a field trial the judges can scrap any series before the last dog in that series has run. If the last dog has run the series is complete and cannot be scrapped. If in the judges opinion that none of the dogs deserve a placement they have the option of not placing any dog or they can choose a winner and not award any other placements. It is the judges call.

    I have been told numerous times by some hunt test judges that my dog "won" the hunt test. Of course we all know that a hunt test cannot be won because they are competing against a standard that can be only pass or fail. The judges were just complementing me and were telling me that my dog(s) did the best work of all the dogs that were there that day.

    Feel proud that your dogs work that day was the best of all the dogs that competed that day.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 10-21-2010 at 03:09 PM.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    then prove you still love me by telling me where i can get the best boudain in town when i pass through after getting my pup.. extra points if you point me towards blood boudain....
    I like Napoleon Ave Meat Market in Sunset for Boudin. Plus, the make their own thick sliced bacon which fires up really nice. Some swear by Don's in Scott on I-10 and other love Hebert's in Maurice.

    People send us so much Boudin at work I can almost identify which meat market made it.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    there is a place right on I-10, exit 101 or 103, where i have bought gator meat and boudain that was good. can you add a review if you know the place?

  6. #46
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,940

    Default

    Judges that count whistles on blinds as the criteria of which dog has done best should be spanked.

    A 10-15 whistle blind where the handler challenged the line, fought through diversions keeping the dog on line is a better job than a 3 whistle blind where the handler did not challenge the blind, let the dog drift downwind and get a bit loose on the backend.

    In a hunting situation, the 3 whistle blind is best. In a FT, judges not only want to see you challenge any obsticles on the way to the blind but are also looking for ultimate control.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Judges that count whistles on blinds as the criteria of which dog has done best should be spanked.

    A 10-15 whistle blind where the handler challenged the line, fought through diversions keeping the dog on line is a better job than a 3 whistle blind where the handler did not challenge the blind, let the dog drift downwind and get a bit loose on the backend.

    In a hunting situation, the 3 whistle blind is best. In a FT, judges not only want to see you challenge any obsticles on the way to the blind but are also looking for ultimate control.

    true, but a 3 whistle blind where the dog is no more than 5 feet off line is better than a 10 whistle blind where the dog is never more than 5 ft offline, although each show great control and are worthy of a pass.....

  8. #48
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    there is a place right on I-10, exit 101 or 103, where i have bought gator meat and boudain that was good. can you add a review if you know the place?
    I know Don's well as they always send us Boudin and Cracklins here at work. Being from New Orleans, we eat Boudin every now and then. Over here, it is almost a religion. If you were to ask around here, "what's for breakfast"? The reply would be, "breakfast of champions, boudin and cracklins"!

    Don's is very good and they ship worldwide.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I know Don's well as they always send us Boudin and Cracklins here at work. Being from New Orleans, we eat Boudin evey now and then. Over here, it is almost a religion. If you were to ask around here, "what's for breakfast"? They reply would be, "breakfast of champions, boudin and cracklins"!

    Don's is very good and they ship worldwide.
    so no one around there has red boudain? i have a connection to get it from Houma now and then but its far too infrequent for me.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,940

    Default

    Don's may have it. If not, they can make it for you if you order ahead of time.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •