The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lefty's Eating Their Own!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    PC run wild, one of the truly good guys done in by political correctness.
    What a shame, your loss is our gain!!

I like Juan Williams, truthful, honest and truly fair.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl..._lnk1%7C179132

RK
    Williams has always been a class act. NPR has standards? That is a good thing. I may not agree with the firing. But standards in news organizations are hard to find in america anymore. Ironic that one of the most respected US journalists gets fired for what he said in an interview by one of the very worst examples of journalism America has ever coughed up.

I never liked NPR, but respected them for having Juan Williams on staff. It's pretty ridiculous he gets fired for expressing how we all feel.

Standards as long as the person that is being held by those standards is frequently on Fox News. Check this out if you think NPR is just upholding its standards http://reason.com/blog/2010/10/21/wh...u-fired-from-n and there is also this...maybe Jesse Jackson had to be kept for a quota who knows http://blog.american.com/?p=21294 ....standards...
    Last edited by Cody Covey; 10-21-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Standards?

Does the Pres CEO of NPR have any??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tshSU5_hHIY

Pretty classy.
    A total lack of professionalism and human decency.
    She is a smug, condescending and patronizing elitest.

I notice our resident "middle of the road independents" (lefty progressives) have not weighed in.

When your wrong your wrong.

NPR/Schiller is WRONG!!

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 10-22-2010 at 06:58 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    although i dont agree in his firing, what Juan said was pretty dumb. i have been an elite freq. flyer for 11 yrs straight, so i have logged a few hundred thousand miles, and i am not bothered at all by people in muslim garb. i am far more concerned with their refusal to use deodorant. i would think that anyone planning to bomb a plane would be dressed a bit more western so as to blend in. that, plus the law of averages and the number of mainstream muslims in our society just lends no justification for nervousness.
    It may have been dumb, in your opinion. But I was just watching him on the curvy couch. And he pointed out that the spoken of feeling of fear did not overwhelm. But a true first glance thing that everybody does. As a frequent flier David, don’t you play “Lets spot the terrorist” in your mind as you board? It was just true, and how he felt. There are certain “Type of folk” that catch everyone’s eye for better or worse.

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I rarely agree with Juan Williams. However, he isn’t a foaming at the mouth left wing extremist. He generally states his case, takes a position, or makes a point in an honest and straightforward manner. He can hold his own if the debate gets heated. He presents the left wing position clearly. He is the liberal yin to the conservative yang.

I do find it telling if not shocking that those that populate NPR are so intolerant. It appears that homogenization of thought and words are all that is allowed. Very “big brother” like. It has become a lie that the left and democrats are the party of inclusion. They are now the party that is of a single extremist mindset with little tolerance for any that deviate from their positions.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I think that the public reaction to William's statements would have been very different if you substituted priests and nuns, or white southerners for muslims in his comments. Many that now support him would want him fired in that circumstance, although such statements would be no more or less prejudicial than what he actually said.

However, I think it was a mistake to terminate him based on his remark given his later comments in the same interview, where he used his own reaction as a basis for noting how important it is to avoid acting based on such prejudice. In that sense, what he said is similar to Shirley Sherrod's story about how she went from not doing all that she might have to help a white farmer, to understanding how color had nothing to do with the struggles being faced by poor farmers whether they are white or black.

For Williams, this has resulted in an immediate raise and increased visibility as Fox stepped in quickly with a lucrative new three-year contract. However, that doesn't excuse NPR's decision or change the fact that NPR will suffer from its bad judgment as people like Senator DeMint use this to bolster their desires for an elimination of funding for public radio as a whole, despite the fact that those local stations are not owned or operated by NPR and had nothing to do with the decision. NPR only receives about 1% of its funding from government.

For those that like to see this as proof of NPR's liberal bias, it may be worth noting that before this incident, NPR had already notified its staff that it would be a violation of NPR's journalistic code for them to participate in political activities and specifically banned them from attending Jon Stewart's "Rally to Restore Sanity" next week. (http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2...tewart-colbert)

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs;.
    ...... NPR only receives about 1% of its funding from government.

....... ([URL
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2010/10/14/130573793/stewart-colbert[/URL])
    That's 1% too much.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I think that the public reaction to William's statements would have been very different if you substituted priests and nuns, or white southerners for muslims in his comments. Many that now support him would want him fired in that circumstance, although such statements would be no more or less prejudicial than what he actually said.

However, I think it was a mistake to terminate him based on his remark given his later comments in the same interview, where he used his own reaction as a basis for noting how important it is to avoid acting based on such prejudice. In that sense, what he said is similar to Shirley Sherrod's story about how she went from not doing all that she might have to help a white farmer, to understanding how color had nothing to do with the struggles being faced by poor farmers whether they are white or black.

For Williams, this has resulted in an immediate raise and increased visibility as Fox stepped in quickly with a lucrative new three-year contract. However, that doesn't excuse NPR's decision or change the fact that NPR will suffer from its bad judgment as people like Senator DeMint use this to bolster their desires for an elimination of funding for public radio as a whole, despite the fact that those local stations are not owned or operated by NPR and had nothing to do with the decision. NPR only receives about 1% of its funding from government.

For those that like to see this as proof of NPR's liberal bias, it may be worth noting that before this incident, NPR had already notified its staff that it would be a violation of NPR's journalistic code for them to participate in political activities and specifically banned them from attending Jon Stewart's "Rally to Restore Sanity" next week. (http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2...tewart-colbert)
    What Williams said was out of line. For a perspective, what if O'Reily, or anybody else for that matter, had said, "You know I always get nervous when blacks come into the room" Do you think Williams would have taken offense to that? Do you think Fox would have fired him? I doubt it. But the public uproar would have been deafening. But because he's talking about Muslims is an acceptable statement?
    Williams blew it. First of all, why does he have a 2 million dollar contract with Fox? His job was NPR. A little moonlighting? It's a free market. His boss no doubt decided he could get more for his buck elsewhere and fired the dude.
    Whats worse is Williams response since he was canned. He didn't get to sit down and talk it over? Well, join the rest of the unemployed in America. No, you don't usually get to "talk about it man to man". Your fired. Here's your check, and your Cobra. End of story. And his claim he deserved better because he's been there 10 years. Again, welcome to the club. It's called capitalism. I doubt there are many in America today that haven't had the same experience, and in most cases, it was not for cause. As was Williams firing.

What I found odd was the NPR spokeswoman's comments. She said his concerns and fears were 'between him and his psychiatrist'.

Now, if they acknowledge his right to be concerned or afraid, but maintain it was unprofessional to publicly state them, then what was the little editorial about "him and his psychiatrist"??? Was that professional?

I suspect NPR is going to feel this one in the pocketbook.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!