The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lefty's Eating Their Own!!

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I think that the public reaction to William's statements would have been very different if you substituted priests and nuns, or white southerners for muslims in his comments...
    Maybe, but the reality is we were attacked on 9/11 by muslim extremists. I don't believe we have been attacked in recent memories by nuns and priests. I expect the last time white southerners attacked the United States of America was during the civil war. I do believe since then that white southerners are a valuable part of our nation today.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Another angle on this may be, what was Juan's and NPR's discussions prior to the comments? From both his and NPR's jabs after the firing, I tend to think there has been some friction building for some time.

If his boss sat him down and told him to cool it on Fox, and he didn't...well, the boss has the right to can him. I think even righties will agree on that. We just don't know what all went into that decision. I still think it will end up hurting NPR much more than Williams!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

My guess is that it will cost NPR much more than the $2M Williams picked up from Fox.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    My guess is that it will cost NPR much more than the $2M Williams picked up from Fox.
    Not likely. It will probably end in more revenues flowing in, as they just demonstrated that they hold journalists to the highest of standards. Many of us in America appreciate the non partisan presentation of news and current events available on NPR and Public Television. Whenever I want the actual what happened, where and when, with balanced analysis, I watch PBS News.
    As far as government funding, I've heard anywhere from 1 - 7 percent of PBS funding comes from government sources. I think PBS should stop accepting government money entirely. That way, they won't be subject to the interference from Federal Authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Another angle on this may be, what was Juan's and NPR's discussions prior to the comments? From both his and NPR's jabs after the firing, I tend to think there has been some friction building for some time.
    agree

If his boss sat him down and told him to cool it on Fox, and he didn't...well, the boss has the right to can him.
    don't agree with this. His work with Fox should have nothing to do with NPR.

I still think it will end up hurting NPR much more than Williams!
    agree
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Subroc,
    I think his actions on Fox ARE the concern of NPR, if they are attempting to project and maintain a semblence of neutral reporting, and his actions of Fox "tarnish" his image as it pertains to those goals.

Its not a perfect analogy, but teachers have been fired or suspended for off-campus behavior, such as lewd internet videos. Not saying its right or wrong, but it is generally accepted that generating a poor image of one's self can and does affect their employment in certain situations.

Speaking of teachers, here is an example of a model teacher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0XLKcMoXRE
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Not a good analogy, Dave ... if he had been wearing a sweatshirt that used offensive language, maybe that would be close. But that was not the case here.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Not a good analogy, Dave ... if he had been wearing a sweatshirt that used offensive language, maybe that would be close. But that was not the case here.
    That's true only if you find lewd videos offensive!

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    What Williams said was out of line. For a perspective, what if O'Reily, or anybody else for that matter, had said, "You know I always get nervous when blacks come into the room" Do you think Williams would have taken offense to that? Do you think Fox would have fired him? I doubt it. But the public uproar would have been deafening. But because he's talking about Muslims is an acceptable statement?
    Williams blew it.............
    NO,
    I disagree!
    All he did was tell the truth about how HE feels.
    It is simply a primal guttural feeling.
    Some things your mind and body does are out of your control.
    It happens to him when he boards a plane and spots a person in traditional Islamic dress.
    It happens to me when I board and a group of Victoria’s Secret models are flying to Miami.
    There are some urges and physical responses you cannot control. All he did was speak the truth.

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    NO,
    I disagree!
    All he did was tell the truth about how HE feels.
    It is simply a primal guttural feeling.
    Some things your mind and body does are out of your control.
    It happens to him when he boards a plane and spots a person in traditional Islamic dress.
    It happens to me when I board and a group of Victoria’s Secret models are flying to Miami.
    There are some urges and physical responses you cannot control. All he did was speak the truth.

But how did the girls feel?