The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 80

Thread: The Lefty's Eating Their Own!!

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    NO,
    I disagree!
    All he did was tell the truth about how HE feels.
    It is simply a primal guttural feeling.
    Some things your mind and body does are out of your control.
    It happens to him when he boards a plane and spots a person in traditional Islamic dress.
    It happens to me when I board and a group of Victoria’s Secret models are flying to Miami.
    There are some urges and physical responses you cannot control. All he did was speak the truth.

    .
    Primal guttural feelings are not the stuff Journalists are made of. NPR has standards. Williams violated them. He's fired. I applaud PBS for upholding the traditional standards of journalistic behavior. When you have your reactions to the Victoria Secret Models what do you do? You practice self control. If you don't there are consequences. Especially if your wife is flying with you.

  2. #32
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Maybe, but the reality is we were attacked on 9/11 by muslim extremists. I don't believe we have been attacked in recent memories by nuns and priests. I expect the last time white southerners attacked the United States of America was during the civil war. I do believe since then that white southerners are a valuable part of our nation today.
    We were attacked by muslim extremists, but they were not dressed in any particular muslim garb, and you don't have to go back to the civil war to find a bunch of white southern men attacking a black man.

    Reacting to people based on the fact that they appear to be Muslim is evidence of prejudice and the prejudice is unwarranted by the facts (we have, for example, been attacked by a fair number of white Christians, and only a microscopic number of either Christians or Muslims have been involved in terrorist attacks).

    The saving grace, in terms of Juan Williams (but not O'Reilly) is that he was making that exact point. It is one thing to feel nervous as a matter of personal reaction. It is wrong to act on that prejudice in a manner that victimizes people in the absence of evidence that they are doing something wrong. I've never met a person who was prejudiced who did not believe the prejudice was justified.

  3. #33
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,156

    Default

    All the man did was tell the truth about how he feels. Should he have lied? He didn't try to persuade anyone to feel the same way. He reported how he feels and NPR decided he should be fired for telling the truth instead of letting their audience decide.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  4. #34
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Another angle on this may be, what was Juan's and NPR's discussions prior to the comments? From both his and NPR's jabs after the firing, I tend to think there has been some friction building for some time.

    If his boss sat him down and told him to cool it on Fox, and he didn't...well, the boss has the right to can him. I think even righties will agree on that. We just don't know what all went into that decision. I still think it will end up hurting NPR much more than Williams!
    If this were true, I think word would have gotten out before hand. And what about their other reporters who have made outlandish comments without consequences?

    Looks to me that NPR shat in their mess kit and will pay a price while Williams will certainly profit. When you get right down to it, who cares? As the thread says, " Lefty's Eating Their Own".
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  5. #35
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    If this were true, I think word would have gotten out before hand. And what about their other reporters who have made outlandish comments without consequences?

    Looks to me that NPR shat in their mess kit and will pay a price while Williams will certainly profit. When you get right down to it, who cares? As the thread says, " Lefty's Eating Their Own".
    Examples or just talk?

  6. #36
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    Primal guttural feelings are not the stuff Journalists are made of. .....
    Again,
    I disagree.
    It is exactly what the journalist needs.
    Imagine if Herbert Morrison’s radio report of the
    Hindenburg Disaster had been deadpan and unemotional?
    “Oh the humanity!”


    .
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  7. #37
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    ......When you have your reactions to the Victoria Secret Models what do you do? You practice self control. If you don't there are consequences.....

    and that is the point Williams was making
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    We were attacked by muslim extremists, but they were not dressed in any particular muslim garb, and you don't have to go back to the civil war to find a bunch of white southern men attacking a black man.

    Reacting to people based on the fact that they appear to be Muslim is evidence of prejudice and the prejudice is unwarranted by the facts (we have, for example, been attacked by a fair number of white Christians, and only a microscopic number of either Christians or Muslims have been involved in terrorist attacks).

    The saving grace, in terms of Juan Williams (but not O'Reilly) is that he was making that exact point. It is one thing to feel nervous as a matter of personal reaction. It is wrong to act on that prejudice in a manner that victimizes people in the absence of evidence that they are doing something wrong. I've never met a person who was prejudiced who did not believe the prejudice was justified.
    Another fine example of the left wing thought police. George Orwell would be proud!
    John Abramson

    Retriever Supply
    www.retrieversupply.com

    American Retriever
    www.americanretriever.com

    Code 3 retrievers
    www.code3retrievers.com

  9. #39
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Examples or just talk?
    Jeff, Google Krauthammer NPR Nina Totenburg. I'd do it for you but we are off to see the grand kids.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  10. #40
    Senior Member Clay Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Leggett, NC
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    What Williams said was out of line. For a perspective, what if O'Reily, or anybody else for that matter, had said, "You know I always get nervous when blacks come into the room" Do you think Williams would have taken offense to that? Do you think Fox would have fired him? I doubt it. But the public uproar would have been deafening. But because he's talking about Muslims is an acceptable statement?
    Williams blew it. First of all, why does he have a 2 million dollar contract with Fox? His job was NPR. A little moonlighting? It's a free market. His boss no doubt decided he could get more for his buck elsewhere and fired the dude.
    Whats worse is Williams response since he was canned. He didn't get to sit down and talk it over? Well, join the rest of the unemployed in America. No, you don't usually get to "talk about it man to man". Your fired. Here's your check, and your Cobra. End of story. And his claim he deserved better because he's been there 10 years. Again, welcome to the club. It's called capitalism. I doubt there are many in America today that haven't had the same experience, and in most cases, it was not for cause. As was Williams firing.


    Actually, Jesse Jackson said once that when he hears footsteps behind him he stops and looks, and if its a white person he is relieved and if its a black person he maintains his guard. So, that blows that theory. And as far as yardleys comment about Priests, nuns and white southerners(rednecks I assume he was saying), don't remember them flying airplanes into the WTC and the pentagon on 11 Sept 2001, do you? No, the fact is Juan Williams spoke about his feelings, honestly and NPR didn't like that.

    I don't just get nervous around muslims when I fly, but anytime I see them. And it doesn't matter what they are wearing. If this is insensitive too bad, but I don't trust any of them. I refuse to support any of their businesses and will continue to do so. They won't use my money to fund terrorist activities that may somehow hurt my family.

    And depitty, as far as NPR having standards, how about what that woman said about Jesse Helms and his grandkid? Or was that Ok in your mind because he was a "redneck" congressman from NC?
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq


    Every day should be Veteran's day.


    "They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •