The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Marking Drill

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerMan1812 View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance but could you explain these?

Thanks,

Travis
    I too have never heard of the 360 term.

The bird in the mouth mark is where a dog retrieves a single mark and is positioned for a 2nd mark while still holding the 1st bird in its mouth. The bird is not taken from the dog until the next bird has been thrown. Supposed to help a dog get in the habit of the mechanics of multiple marks.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Cassity View Post
    ABCD drill is great for getting dogs to develop marking in multiple gun pictures.

I also like the X pattern - throw angle back, throw angle in, and then flat - alternating sides.

The best drill to teach marking - is throw singles and make the dog focus before being sent. Singles teach marking.

To help with the memory development, you can do singles bird in mouth or 360 the mark.

Carol
    Carol, where the heck have you been lately???

Judy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Brunelle View Post
    David...I'll plug it! Building a Retriever is my favorite training book, just filled with drills for all occasions
    Available at Dogs Afield http://www.dogsafield.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R174-001
    The best $25 you'll ever spend!
    Diane
    thanks, done deal, i will get it. i have trained with no book or dvd, i have a good feel on the basics, but a good mix of drills to me is the key - teaching the same thing by different methods and drills seems logically to be the way to go. thanks!

To the OP, some of the best marking drills may not be openly shared by the pro's, it is their lively hood after all. I have purchased Carol Cassity's book and am putting it into good use. (thank you Carol)
    A regular RTF poster shared this link:
    http://www.kwicklabs.com/drills.htm
    (thank you Kwicklabs)
    And thank you Mr. Nolan for sharing the KRD drill.
    Cindy Von Sutphen

Dai Suki Desu MH
    Reed Lanes Ladies Love a Rockstar CGC
    LPK's If I Can Call You Betty (da behbeh gurl)

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerMan1812 View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance but could you explain these?

Thanks,

Travis
    Travis
    Bird in mouth is a term that refers to having a bird hold a previously retrieved object while watching a new mark go down. Then, you take the first bird (the one in mouth) and send for the mark just thrown. BIM helps develop the mechanics for multiple marks and adds a little memory time for a single.

360ing a mark is the term my group came up when you throw a single, let the dog focus on the mark, heel in a tight circle at the line (360 degrees), line back up on the mark and then send. 360ing the mark gives a single gunner time to retire, gives the dog a memory picture, works on developing the picture again - which helps build memory.

Hope this helps
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post
    Carol, where the heck have you been lately???

Judy

There hasn't been a whole lot to most recent discussions I felt I could add to and make a difference. This one got started when I got online this afternoon. If someone said what I was going to, I usually just don't add on.

BTW, thanks to all on the kind words about the book.

Carol

Banned

There hasn't been a whole lot to most recent discussions I felt I could add to and make a difference. This one got started when I got online this afternoon. If someone said what I was going to, I usually just don't add on.

BTW, thanks to all on the kind words about the book.

Carol
    i remember now i saw it last week training with a friend, and this and another thread prompted me to order now....it better be good.... variety is the spice of training, and this fits the bill. looking forward to it. i wish you a lot of future luck!

Travis
    Bird in mouth is a term that refers to having a bird hold a previously retrieved object while watching a new mark go down. Then, you take the first bird (the one in mouth) and send for the mark just thrown. BIM helps develop the mechanics for multiple marks and adds a little memory time for a single.

360ing a mark is the term my group came up when you throw a single, let the dog focus on the mark, heel in a tight circle at the line (360 degrees), line back up on the mark and then send. 360ing the mark gives a single gunner time to retire, gives the dog a memory picture, works on developing the picture again - which helps build memory.

Hope this helps
    Carol
    Thanks fo clearing this up...I too find your book very useful and I highly reccommend it for those that are just starting out (like myself). Lots of good information and very easy to follow.
    Travis Burnett

Y drill, sounds very similar to Carol's W drill.

Lone gunner stands about 75-100 yards away. First bird thrown flat to the gunners left. Next bird thrown sharply angled back to the gunners left. Third bird thrown angled in at 45 degree to the gunners right. All singles. This is a top drill that the Hillman's use. They prefer orange bumpers for it in initial stages.
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

others have already plugged the book, just want to add it's fantastic for beginners like me, I have no background in this stuff at all but can understand the drills.
    Building a Retriever, Drills and More. A must own!

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com