The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Bout Them Rangers!!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    What do the Phillies have to do with the world series??? I thought Texas was playing San Fran? And someone mentioned Bush should get credit for the Rangers, even though he hasn't been involved for years?

Oh, just as an interesting side note, do you know how the current Ranger ballpark was built? By a combination of raising taxes on local residents, and seizing privately owned property for the staduim. They then defaulted on payments to those whose land was seized, leaving the debt unsettled until the new owners took over from Bush et al, and finally paid the debt.

Not surprising.

From wiki:

In April 1989, the Rangers' owner, oil tycoon Eddie Chiles, sold the team to an investment group that included the future President of the United States George W. Bush. Bush would serve as the Rangers' managing general partner until he was elected Governor of Texas in 1994. After hearing that Chiles planned to sell the team, Bush headed a group of investors that bought the team for $89 million. While his own equity in the team was a small one (approximately 1 %) he was named Managing General Partner of the new ownership team. He increased his investment the following year.
    During his tenure, the Rangers and the City of Arlington decided to replace the aging Arlington Stadium with a new publicly funded stadium, at a cost of $193 million, financed by Arlington residents, through a sales tax increase. Ground was broken on October 30, 1991 on what would become The Ballpark in Arlington (now named Rangers Ballpark in Arlington). The city, through the Arlington Sports Facilities Development Authority, also controversially authorized the seizure of 13 acres (53,000 m2) of land through eminent domain for the Rangers future development. Landowners filed lawsuits over the acquisition and eventually won settlements of $22.2 million which the Rangers failed to pay.
    In 1998, venture capital billionaire Tom Hicks bought the team for $250 million. Hicks also agreed to pay the $22.2 million awarded in settlements in relation to the 1991 eminent domain litigation. [5]
    Dave, I'm not sure who last had the step ladder but you better find it.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Dave, I'm not sure who last had the step ladder but you better find it.
    Its called sarcasm.

If I find that ladder, I'll send it your way.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Go Texas! Hope they can tie it up tonight.

It is great to see Father and Son Bush throwing out the first pitch to Nola Ryan. Bush 43 did a really nice pitch ad Dad could not have been prouder.

I thought they showed a lot of class.
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Just heard on the news-- more people watched the Saints-Steelers game than the Ranger's world series game 4. First time a reg season football game out-viewed the world series. Texas and California aren't exactly "small" media markets, either.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Giants win, and well deserved. Both teams have had extraordinary seasons.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Giants win, and well deserved. Both teams have had extraordinary seasons.
    Haven't seen pitching dominate a series like the Giants for a long time. The team of my youth finally pulled it out. To bad my dad isn't around to see it.

Congrats to both teams. Rangers had an unbelievable year considering the turmoil going on with the bankruptcy and the previous knucklehead owner. They will always have A-rod taking call strike three to win the ALCS - Sweet! They should be back.

How about the Giants pitching? Unbelievable!
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth