The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replay issues

Default Replay issues

Steelers-Miami.
    Ben's TD fumble.

Ok, they overturned the TD. Suppose they then HAD video showing Miami recovering the ball? During the play on the field, they blew whistles and signaled touchdown, ending play.

How can they go back and say, 'the play wasn't over, and a change of possession occurred, despite signals and whistles being blown?'

That's an issue they'll have to answer, as its not impossible to happen again. They can deny the touchdown, but how can you have a dead-ball change of possession?

Thankfully, that didn't happen THIS time.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I saw that and the ball should have gone over to Miami at the twenty, the line judge was very premature on his call of Ben crossing the plane of the goal line...blown call cost the Dolphins the game...their conclusion was a real chicken**** way out if you ask me
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I saw that and the ball should have gone over to Miami at the twenty, the line judge was very premature on his call of Ben crossing the plane of the goal line...blown call cost the Dolphins the game...their conclusion was a real chicken**** way out if you ask me
    Based on the NFL's rules, I don't think there was conclusive evidence from any ONE shot. Combining two views indeed did seem to show the ball coming out.
    So ok, take away the touchdown.

But there is NO WAY you can award a turnover for events that happened after the ref signaled touchdown on the field. The play was over as soon as his arms went up, and anything that happens after that is dead ball. It should have been ruled a loss of possession at the 1/2 yardline, and retained possession, as it was.

I was shocked that they even entertained awarding a turnover on a dead-ball event. Ben better spend some time with the anti-fumble coach this week before heading to NOLA.

I'll cut the line judge some slack. From where he was, he couldn't see the ball as it began to come out, and it is his job to call the ball crossing the plane as soon as it occurs, and stop the play. Yes, I'd be pissed if I were a Miami fan, but I think given the bad call, the replay did its job correctly.
    Last edited by dnf777; 10-24-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

but dnf777 it wasnt a dead ball, it was clearly a fumble and therefore a live ball, clearly a change of possession, whether they give the Steelers the ball on the one yard line or the original line of scrimmage is irrelevant..Steelers lost the ball in the end zone , recovered by Miami -touchback- Miami first down on their own twenty yd line

thats my call and I'm sticking to it..or I can take my ball and go home
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    but dnf777 it wasnt a dead ball, it was clearly a fumble and therefore a live ball, clearly a change of possession, whether they give the Steelers the ball on the one yard line or the original line of scrimmage is irrelevant..Steelers lost the ball in the end zone , recovered by Miami -touchback- Miami first down on their own twenty yd line

thats my call and I'm sticking to it..or I can take my ball and go home
    I hear you. But ON THE FIELD, DURING THE PLAY, when the ref raised his arms, most quit playing, looking for balls, and even the other officials shifted out of mode, so the play is DEAD. Sure, he may have blown his whistle too soon, I agree, but once it blew and signals went up, you can't continue to judge the ball or players. Its over. Even if its wrong, its over.

Just like if a pass is whistled incomplete, but the guy thinks he caught it and gets up and runs as all the whistles are blowing and guys are slowing down and returning to the huddle. Even if the play is overturned and ruled a catch, you don't allow for the events that occured after the play is whistled dead on the field, and give him a touchdown.

I agree with you, it was a bad call from the start, but the remedy was almost worse than the call. The NFL needs to get a grip on these things. Personally, I think the easiest way would be to eliminate IR altogether, and let the guys in stripes call the game.

Its getting to where when the officials issue the call, it sounds as if they're reading a legal opinion before a court. Next they'll be carrying brief cases and petitions on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    The NFL needs to get a grip on these things. Personally, I think the easiest way would be to eliminate IR altogether, and let the guys in stripes call the game.
    It seems to me that the network coverage is affecting the challenges/affecting the outcome of the game as well. NBC doesn't replay a bobbled GB "TD" until after the PAT, no challenge.
    They do replay 2 Vikings "TD's", GB challenges the ruling before the next play and they're overturned.
    How about no replays until after the next play or coach disputes/officials decide to review first? Wasn't that the intention?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Banned

Steelers-Miami.
    Ben's TD fumble.

Ok, they overturned the TD. Suppose they then HAD video showing Miami recovering the ball? During the play on the field, they blew whistles and signaled touchdown, ending play.

How can they go back and say, 'the play wasn't over, and a change of possession occurred, despite signals and whistles being blown?'

That's an issue they'll have to answer, as its not impossible to happen again. They can deny the touchdown, but how can you have a dead-ball change of possession?

Thankfully, that didn't happen THIS time.
    I gotta disagree with you there. I have seen many times where a ball came loose with the ref thinking the player was down before the ball was out ending the play only to have the play challenged and the ref go under the "hood" only to see that the player was not down before the ball came out and the other team recovered the fumble and the call was reversed.

Banned

Based on the NFL's rules, I don't think there was conclusive evidence from any ONE shot. Combining two views indeed did seem to show the ball coming out.
    So ok, take away the touchdown.

But there is NO WAY you can award a turnover for events that happened after the ref signaled touchdown on the field. The play was over as soon as his arms went up, and anything that happens after that is dead ball. It should have been ruled a loss of possession at the 1/2 yardline, and retained possession, as it was.

I was shocked that they even entertained awarding a turnover on a dead-ball event. Ben better spend some time with the anti-fumble coach this week before heading to NOLA.

I'll cut the line judge some slack. From where he was, he couldn't see the ball as it began to come out, and it is his job to call the ball crossing the plane as soon as it occurs, and stop the play. Yes, I'd be pissed if I were a Miami fan, but I think given the bad call, the replay did its job correctly.
    The Steelers got a gift

"When we were down in the pile, (an official) was calling, 'White Ball! White Ball!' " said Alama-Francis, who was in the home team's white jersey. "I was the first person on the ball, had possession of the ball. I wasn't going to let that thing go, because I knew I had possession."
    Linebacker Karlos Dansby saw that Alama-Francis had possession. Linebacker Channing Crowder saw it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    The Steelers got a gift

"When we were down in the pile, (an official) was calling, 'White Ball! White Ball!' " said Alama-Francis, who was in the home team's white jersey. "I was the first person on the ball, had possession of the ball. I wasn't going to let that thing go, because I knew I had possession."
    Linebacker Karlos Dansby saw that Alama-Francis had possession. Linebacker Channing Crowder saw it, too.
    All the defense "saw". Odd considering Rothlesberger claimed he was under the pile with the ball and he never let it go...all perspective i suppose

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    All the defense "saw". Odd considering Rothlesberger claimed he was under the pile with the ball and he never let it go...all perspective i suppose
    If you watched the replay, Roghesberg was sitting on his ass looking around for the ball nowhere near the ball. And you can bet your ass that if a Pitsburg player recovered the football, he would never have let it go as the Miami player held the ball high in the air as he ran off the field. The only call that should have been made was Miami ball at the 20 or a Pittsburg touchdown. Had to be one or the other. We will see in the days ahead because I have a feeling that this will be talked about for awhile.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 10-25-2010 at 10:01 AM.