The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Lab always hungry

Default Lab always hungry

I have a little issue with my dog. Said dog lived in house but I think otherwise. Here’s my issue this dog is highly food motivated when I say highly I mean it. If I take the dog out of the house to air she comes right in and checks every bowl for food I have done a test where I did this 15 times in a row every 5 mins, she still runs in the house and checks every bowl. When I first received her I would try to train her first thing in the morning but she has no attention span what so ever until she eats, so I give her a little food then do a few drills, deep down inside she knows there’s more food when she gets back in the house. She is constantly on the prowl for a meal. I dare go near the cookie jar, fridge, cabinet she will dart looking for a hand out. She doesn’t sit and beg or poke she’s just on the prowl.
    I have 2 Patterdale terriers in the house also, I feed them in a separate area now because these dogs will not tolerate her shark like circling and I am worried that one will latch onto her and tear her up. These are not your average terrier since they are used on badger and fox in England. Yes I do hunt these dogs on coons and fox so they are gamey. I keep my feed up on the counter in my mud room, this dog will hang in that room and wait for her meal. I keep a jar of hooves and pigs ears on the counter there have been a few times I walk in the kitchen and she has her 2 front feet up on the counter. If she hears me coming she will then just sit there.
    I have broken her from actually counter surfing meals “eating off the counter”. When I first brought her into my home this was a huge issue. From hamburger, pound of butter to whatever was out. When I sit down to eat or bring her to a friend’s house for diner she will sit next to me and in say 2 mins lay down. Not beg.

I have had her put on about 3 pounds brining her to 56 pounds, she has been wormed. When I first got her she would eat 2 cups of food in about 30 seconds, I have since switched to a Brake feed bowl the kind with the rods in it and has slowed down her feeding to about 2 mins now. She is fed 4 cups a day 2 cups every 12 hours. 26% protien.

Goodness gracious, get the checkbook out lol Heck I feed my Yellow lab 6 cups/day 30% protein and hes still skinny. Healthy as all get out just a calorie burning machine
    I had hair before I started this

How old is she? How much work are you doing with her? Just cause it's 26% protien doesn't mean it's a good food! Is it at least 15% fat? She may need 8 cups a day!! Dogs have a very short digestive track and don't get a whole lot out of their food. Dogs actually need more fat than protien.

What are you feeding her? Depending on the quality, it may or may not be enough.

How old? Do you have pictures we could see?
    Karen and
    UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford JH CDX RAE TT (Belle-retired)
    and her kids
    URO2 SHR UUD GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle's Kodiak Dreamweaver OM1 RAE JH UDX TT(Kodi)
    URO2 SHR UCDX GRCH BBI Ponderosa's Big Blond Guy RE JH CDX TT (Hoss)

Labs LOVE to eat. Most that I know will eat until there is no more food, but more food out and its gone too. Also, she's an athelete so demands more. You need to control the input, period.

Pro Plan Performance
    She is hunting 5 times a week right now, after the dawn patrol for fowl it's off to work with me. On days she hunts I give her an extra half cup. She hangs out in my office or goes out to clients with me, now what my crew gives her on the side I don't know. If I can not take her to work that day she is in an outdoor run about 50'x150' from what I see on my web cams she just sleeps all day and gets a run when the neighbor stops by mid afternoon. Toss some bumbers and a few treats she brings over. She does have the life.

Pic of the Ginzo's what a combo criminal lawyer and a carting business owner.

Not the best pic her first elavator ride going up 32 floors in Times Square she even got to meet Jay Z that day.

First day I had her 3 months ago.

Wow! Great looking dog! You are feeding a good food and I think she looks perfect as far as weight. If you are training, will she accept food as a reward? Which comes first in her mind, food or the retrieve? (most of mine would rather retrieve than eat, but get overly obsessed (read distracted) when food is used in obedience training).
    Karen and
    UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford JH CDX RAE TT (Belle-retired)
    and her kids
    URO2 SHR UUD GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle's Kodiak Dreamweaver OM1 RAE JH UDX TT(Kodi)
    URO2 SHR UCDX GRCH BBI Ponderosa's Big Blond Guy RE JH CDX TT (Hoss)