The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I Must Confess

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    I would agree with that but mostly just because the tea party (and probably most republicans) are only outraged by government spending when it is a hand out to others. When they are the ones receiving the government money its not an issue. There are some of us conservatives left that realize the constitution appropriated certain areas the federal government can spend and are outraged at all spending outside of that.
    As a matter of interest, what part of the Constitution says what Congress may or may not spend money on? Where does it say we can spend to support a standing army?

Article 1 section 8

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

I would agree with that but mostly just because the tea party (and probably most republicans) are only outraged by government spending when it is a hand out to others. When they are the ones receiving the government money its not an issue. There are some of us conservatives left that realize the constitution appropriated certain areas the federal government can spend and are outraged at all spending outside of that.
    I agree with what you say. When I arrived at the age of political maturity (18) there was a very different republican party in existence, that I was part of. Reagan still tripled the national debt under his watch, but indeed shared that blame with a democratic congress. The biggest change I can see is how the republicans have switched from pragmatists to ideologues, mostly under the Christian right's control, and in doing so, have abandoned many of their fiscal principles.

I think that Obama is engaged in overspending, but after the past decade, republicans can no longer carry the torch of fiscal restraint either! My ultra-conservative life long friend summarized it beautifully:

Democrats are the party of tax and spend. Republicans are the party of borrow and spend. Doesn't leave guys like me much of a choice.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I agree with what you say. When I arrived at the age of political maturity (18) there was a very different republican party in existence, that I was part of. Reagan still tripled the national debt under his watch, but indeed shared that blame with a democratic congress. The biggest change I can see is how the republicans have switched from pragmatists to ideologues, mostly under the Christian right's control, and in doing so, have abandoned many of their fiscal principles.

I think that Obama is engaged in overspending, but after the past decade, republicans can no longer carry the torch of fiscal restraint either! My ultra-conservative life long friend summarized it beautifully:

Democrats are the party of tax and spend. Republicans are the party of borrow and spend. Doesn't leave guys like me much of a choice.
    I would argue that they are both all 3 unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    As an aside, I honestly believe ANY vote for a Democrat IS a vote for Obama, despite anything anyone is saying.

So, if you detest any of Obama's bills, and what he is doing to this nation, and what your dependants are subject to pay for, and you vote for a Democrat, you ARE complicit. It can't be seen in any other light.

UB
    UB, I disagree with this--and just about anyone who grew up in the South would as well. Although they've become an endangered species, there used to be plenty of conservatives Southern Dems, and many remember when the Republicans were the carpet-bagger party. Plenty of southern states including my own, Virginia, have supplied decent conservative Democrats in the past, although with the explosive growth of Northern Va. and the voting power it holds, that's much less true here than it was even 10 years ago.

I've voted for Democrats before, and would again if the right one came along. Probably never happen again though since I'm now in a rural stronghold that regularly gets moved around district to district, most recently to a gerrymandered sliver of real estate snaking from the Blue Ridge in the northwestern corner of the state (where I live) all the way down to the Hampton Roads area in the southeast, so the liberals could split the liberal, "come heres" in Northern Va. into two new districts that are democrat shoe-ins.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    UB, I disagree with this--and just about anyone who grew up in the South would as well. Although they've become an endangered species, there used to be plenty of conservatives Southern Dems, and many remember when the Republicans were the carpet-bagger party. Plenty of southern states including my own, Virginia, have supplied decent conservative Democrats in the past, although with the explosive growth of Northern Va. and the voting power it holds, that's much less true here than it was even 10 years ago.

I've voted for Democrats before, and would again if the right one came along. Probably never happen again though since I'm now in a rural stronghold that regularly gets moved around district to district, most recently to a gerrymandered sliver of real estate snaking from the Blue Ridge in the northwestern corner of the state (where I live) all the way down to the Hampton Roads area in the southeast, so the liberals could split the liberal, "come heres" in Northern Va. into two new districts that are democrat shoe-ins.
    That kind of D disappeared when the Public Employees unions became politically active. I have an issue with pulling the lever for any candidate, regardless of party whose endorsements include the Police Guild, the FF union, any Teachers union or SEIU, which is the worst.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post

I know where you are coming from, but the last Democrat I voted for was JFK. In my view, he would be appalled at what is happening under the present Democratic control.

It's what is happening to this nation that concerns me. And any way you slice it, a GREAT Democrat that would vote your views constantly, will get steam-rolled by this oligarchy.

Look at the Sodak Rep. She was endorsed by NRA. Also Right to Life. She went, got married, had children...but still voted to not allow the abortion part of the healthcare bill to be removed. When you vote with Pelosi 90% of the time, you aren't interested in Sodak OR this nation...you are ONLY interested in receiving all the $$$$ you can get to be re-elected again, and you will throw whatever the folks in Sodak care about under the bus every time...just like Tom Daschole was doing. Took us a while, but we caught up with him.

Of course there are liberal Republicans that must be weeded out of office also, that's why I've screamed at Newt for not getting through his pledge in '94 of installing term limits. Until that is done, this will never again be a nation of the people.

A term limiter can go in with principles, and put stuff in a bill like changing the outrageous pension policy in place for those bastards. But like the auto industry in Detroit, this nation is on the path to ruin.

I'm sick about it for my kids and their children, but it's no longer a fight I can wage. I'm just hanging on to see if Nostradomus and the Mayans knew what they were prognosticating. But it's just a curiosity, as I suspect the Big Guy in the Sky has total control over when this planet will reach critical mass.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    As an aside, I honestly believe ANY vote for a Democrat IS a vote for Obama, despite anything anyone is saying.

So, if you detest any of Obama's bills, and what he is doing to this nation, and what your dependants are subject to pay for, and you vote for a Democrat, you ARE complicit. It can't be seen in any other light.

UB
    Not at all. You can be very disappointed with Obama, but still remember what happened the last time the Republicans were in charge of Congress. A very scary thought. Does K street ring a bell? So you have a choice of the lesser of two evils.

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    Not at all. You can be very disappointed with Obama, but still remember what happened the last time the Republicans were in charge of Congress. A very scary thought. Does K street ring a bell? So you have a choice of the lesser of two evils.
    The last time Republicans controlled congress we had 5% unemployment. Job GROWTH. 13kish on the dow. Now we have 10% unemployment 11k. The largest amount of deficit spending in years. Yes even more than Bush. I'll take the republicans

Banned

The last time Republicans controlled congress we had 5% unemployment. Job GROWTH. 13kish on the dow. Now we have 10% unemployment 11k. The largest amount of deficit spending in years. Yes even more than Bush. I'll take the republicans
    That may be, but you would have a difficult time showing cause and effect to such a claim. A Republican controlled Congress, combined with a Democratic President could spark the stock markets. Here is is some information on the historical performance of the Markets under various party rule scenarios.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...n-dorfman.html

A war may be in store for Republican leadership should they prevail with a majority. In years past, they have been able to maintain a very tight grip on their membership. The Tea Party movement is an unknown. In many cases Tea Party candidates were not supported and contested quite vigorously by Republican the Party. Just today Karl Rove came out with a statement that Palin is not fit to be President. As true as that may be, it does demonstrate the rift between traditional party leadership and the Tea Party populist movement. In a nut shell, the Republicans may suffer from the same disarray that has plagued the Dems for years. A very strong and vibrant fringe wing that cannot always be counted on to step in line. It should be interesting.