The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 64

Thread: Bow Hunting

  1. #11
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    Minnesota has gun season starting next weekend, during the peak of the rut. Wonder why we don't produce the trophy bucks like our surrounding states.
    Just my observation but the next 2 weeks should be pretty good, especially in MN & WI.


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccm352 View Post
    I had an 8 point come in on me on Saturday.. He was 10 yards at one point and I could have shot him all day.. My buddy cried that he hasnt shot a buck in 5 years blah blah blah and me being the nice guy that I am set him up in a good spot not too far from me.. Buck comes walking by me.. gets to him.. looks up 20 feet and sees my friend. I had to stand up slow and I drew back on him.. Just as I did that the neighbor comes walking down the property line and yells at the deer to run because she sees us.. I really wanted to shoot her but I didnt have a tag for a mid 60's bitch.. She probably wouldnt taste good anyway..

    Was out this afternoon at my cousin's house.. Has a nice 3 acre suburban parcel.. Had a 10 point come in 25 yards away and couldnt get a shot
    That makes me absolutely furious. Don't know about where you live, but around here, hunter harassment has pretty serious penalties. If I were you, I'd have Mr. Greenjeans pay her a visit.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    Minnesota has gun season starting next weekend, during the peak of the rut. Wonder why we don't produce the trophy bucks like our surrounding states.
    HA! Just be glad you don't live in NC...Deer hunting is pointless here. I haven't even attempted it in 3 years.

    Gun season runs from mid Oct thru Dec 31.(Plus 1 week of bow and 2 weeks of black powder prior to gun season)

    Limit is 4 bucks/2 does w/ extra does tags available for purchase.

    Running deer w/ dogs is legal on any land, public or private.

    Need I say more?

    If you don't pay BIG bucks for a hunt club that doesn't allow dogs or have your own private land far, far away from some of the more popular dog-run areas, you can forget shooting a deer after the first week of gun season. By then, the deer have all been chased multiple times and have gone nocturnal. When dogs are outlawed, I MAY consider deer hunting again.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Hoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Just my observation but the next 2 weeks should be pretty good, especially in MN & WI.


    RK
    The bucks are making a lot of scrapes now, and I'm starting to see more in the middle of the day, so it's starting to heat up. Should be in full swing next weekend, just in time for the gun hunters to kill most of the young bucks. I should start hunting Wisconsin.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Hoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    HA! Just be glad you don't live in NC...Deer hunting is pointless here. I haven't even attempted it in 3 years.

    Gun season runs from mid Oct thru Dec 31.(Plus 1 week of bow and 2 weeks of black powder prior to gun season)

    Limit is 4 bucks/2 does w/ extra does tags available for purchase.

    Running deer w/ dogs is legal on any land, public or private.

    Need I say more?

    If you don't pay BIG bucks for a hunt club that doesn't allow dogs or have your own private land far, far away from some of the more popular dog-run areas, you can forget shooting a deer after the first week of gun season. By then, the deer have all been chased multiple times and have gone nocturnal. When dogs are outlawed, I MAY consider deer hunting again.
    We have a guy in our deer camp up nouth that is from SC. He spends all of gun season in MN. Says the hunting is much better here.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    We have a guy in our deer camp up nouth that is from SC. He spends all of gun season in MN. Says the hunting is much better here.
    I believe it. Anything would be better than deer hunting here.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Wayne Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lansdale PA
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Saturday morning my buddy Ron and I went out. We get in about 5:45am.. DIdnt spook anything out of the bedding area so we were good.. Well.. Sun comes up and nothing.. Gets to be 8:30 and nothing.. We usually see something by this point regardless.. 9:00am is the magic time.. My buddy spots a doe headed my way and gets my attention..2 mins later I drilled her through the rib cage and she was down with in 50 yards. Ahh.. Deer number 2 for the year.. 5 mins later here comes 6 more doe.. These doe came down a trail that I have never seen them use in the 5 years I have been hunting this spot. Well they walked by me.. First one of this group walked directly under my treestand.. She walked 10 more yards and I drilled her quartering away.. and she dropped.. The other doe dont know what happened.. So I looked at my buddy and put up 3 fingers and he nodded his head.. So I drew back and smoked # 3.. Then the others took off.. Well I was out of broadheads all I had left was a field point in the quiver.. Well.. I look off to my left and here comes this beautiful red fox.. I nock the field point and the fox stopped to smell one of my dead deer and started my way.. He stopped and sat down perfectly like someone blew a whistle to wait for a command.. Let the arrow fly and hit him perfectly between the neck and shoulder and it ran 10 feet and dropped over.. So within 20 minutes I shot 3 doe and a fox.. It was a good morning. In my 23 years of hunting I have never had an opportunity like that.. All I have left is my buck tag.

    And for those who may think ill of me for shooting that many deer. 2 of the deer I shot on Saturday went to the food bank. The other went to my freezer!
    Wayne Beck

    RIP Moose 2/6/00-1/21/10
    Bull's Harley Road Hog 5/1/10-(in training)
    Bull's Kunte Kinte 11/7/12-

  8. #18

    Default

    elite z 28 best bow i ever had

  9. #19
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,196

    Default

    I've got a B&C 135 with Black Powder and a B&C 165 with a .300 Mag. Nice deer for southern Oklahoma. I thought I'd quit while I'm ahead plus I'm not as mad at them anymore.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  10. #20
    Senior Member menmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,315

    Default

    I have a guy hunting my place and he is showing me a lot of nice pictures of good bucks for our area. Nothing real big but good healthy deer for the Houston area. He shot a doe with his bow a couple days ago and gave me a rear ham and a backstrap. Great trade for me since of love deer meat but don't have the patience to hunt them.

    I'm a waterfowl hunter. I'll fight all the eliments to kill a duck or a goose and my resolve gets stronger and stonger the older I get, but can't do the deer hunting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •