The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any RTF members from the Motor City?

Default Any RTF members from the Motor City?

It's sorta sad what has happened to your once great metropolis. We hear lots about NOLA, but not much about your plight. Here's an article that is just plain scary, and a harbinger of what's happening to a once great nation.

UB

(Frosty Wooldridge (born 1947) is a US journalist, writer, environmentalist, traveler)

By Frosty Wooldridge

For 15 years, from the mid 1970's to 1990, I worked in
    Detroit , Michigan . I watched it descend into the abyss of crime, debauchery, gun play, drugs, school truancy, car-jacking, gangs, and human depravity. I watched entire city blocks burned out. I watched graffiti explode on buildings, cars, trucks, buses, and school yards. Trash everywhere!

Detroiters walked through it, tossed more into it, and ignored it. Tens of thousands, and then hundreds of thousands today exist on federal welfare, free housing, and food stamps !

With Aid to Dependent Children, minority women birthed
    eight to 10, and in one case, one woman birthed 24 children as reported by the Detroit Free Press, all on American taxpayer dollars.

A new child meant a new car payment, new TV, and whatever mom wanted. I saw Lyndon Baines Johnson's "Great Society" flourish in
    Detroit . If you give money for doing nothing, you will get more hands out taking money for doing nothing.

Mayor Coleman Young, perhaps the most corrupt mayor in
    America , outside of Richard Daley in Chicago , rode Detroit down to its knees. He set the benchmark for cronyism, incompetence, and arrogance. As a black man, he said, "I am the MFIC." The IC meant "in charge".You can figure out the rest. Detroit became a majority black city with 67 percent African-Americans.

As a United Van Lines truck driver for my summer job from teaching math and science, I loaded hundreds of American families into my van for a new life in another city or state.

Detroit plummeted from 1.8 million citizens to 912,000 today. At the same time, legal and illegal immigrants converged on the city, so much so, that Muslims number over 300,000. Mexicans number 400,000 throughout Michigan , but most work in Detroit . As the whites moved out, the Muslims moved in.

As the crimes became more violent, the whites fled. Finally, unlawful Mexicans moved in at a torrid pace.
    Detroit suffers so much shoplifting that grocery stores no longer operate in many inner city locations. You could cut the racial tension in the air with a knife!

(cont'd)
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

more Detroit.

Detroit may be one of our best examples of multiculturalism: pure dislike, and total separation from America .
    Today, you hear Muslim calls to worship over the city like a new American Baghdad with hundreds of Islamic mosques in Michigan , paid for by Saudi Arabia oil money. High school flunk out rates reached 76 percent last June, according to NBC's Brian Williams. Classrooms resemble more foreign countries than America . English? Few speak it! The city features a 50 percent illiteracy rate and growing.Unemployment hit 28.9 percent in 2009 as the auto industry vacated the city. In this week's Time Magazine October 4, 2009, "The Tragedy of Detroit: How a great city fell, and how it can rise again," I choked on the writer's description of what happened. "If Detroit had been ravaged by a hurricane, and submerged by a ravenous flood, we'd know a lot more about it," said Daniel Okrent. "If drought, and carelessness had spread brush fires across the city, we'd see it on the evening news every night.

Earthquake, tornadoes, you name it, if natural disaster had devastated the city that was once the living proof of American prosperity, the rest of the country might take notice.

But
    Detroit , once our fourth largest city, now 11th, and slipping rapidly, has had no such luck. Its disaster has long been a slow unwinding that seemed to remove it from the rest of the country. Even the death rattle that in the past year emanated from its signature industry brought more attention to the auto executives than to the people of the city, who had for so long been victimized by their dreadful decision making."

As Coleman Young's corruption brought the city to its knees, no amount of federal dollars could save the incredible payoffs, kick backs, and illegality permeating his administration. I witnessed the city's death from the seat of my 18-wheeler tractor trailer because I moved people out of every sector of decaying
    Detroit . "By any quantifiable standard, the city is on life support. Detroit 's treasury is $300 million short of the funds needed to provide the barest municipal services," Okrent said. "The school system, which six years ago was compelled by the teachers' union to reject a philanthropist's offer of $200 million to build 15 small, independent charter high schools, is in receivership. The murder rate is soaring, and 7 out of 10 remain unsolved. Three years after Katrina devastated New Orleans , unemployment in that city hit a peak of 11%. In Detroit , the unemployment rate is 28.9%.

That's worth spelling out: twenty-eight point nine percent." At the end of Okrent's report, and he will write a dozen more about Detroit , he said, "That's because the story of Detroit is not simply one of a great city's collapse, it's also about the erosion of the industries that helped build the country we know today. The ultimate fate of
    Detroit will reveal much about the character of America in the 21st century. If what was once the most prosperous manufacturing city in the nation has been brought to its knees, what does that say about our recent past? And if it can't find a way to get up, what does that say about our future?"

(cont'd)

Detroit, cont'd

I realize this is going to be looked upon by the libs as "old" news...but it's still what's happened and happening. This is why the TEA partys got going.

When I read articles like this, I'm thankful I live where I do. We aren't totally immune to what's happening, but we are certainly insulated from the majority of the gangsterism and corruption.

UB

As you read in my book review of Chris Steiner's book, "$20 Per Gallon", the auto industry won't come back.

Immigration will keep pouring more, and more uneducated third world immigrants from the Middle East into Detroit , thus creating a beachhead for Islamic hegemony in America . If 50 percent illiteracy continues, we will see more homegrown terrorists spawned out of the Muslim ghettos of Detroit . Illiteracy plus Islam equals walking human bombs.

You have already seen it in
    Madrid , Spain ; London , England , and Paris , France with train bombings, subway bombings and riots.

As their numbers grow, so will their power to enact their barbaric Sharia Law that negates republican forms of government, first amendment rights, and subjugates women to the lowest rungs on the human ladder.

We will see more honor killings by upset husbands, fathers, and brothers that demand subjugation by their daughters, sisters and wives. Muslims prefer beheadings of women to scare the hell out of any other members of their sect from straying.

Multiculturalism: what a perfect method to kill our language, culture, country, and way of life.

I PRAY EVERYONE THAT READS THIS REALIZES THAT IF WE DON'T STAND UP, AND SCREAM AT WASHINGTON , AND OUR STATE, CITY , AND LOCAL LEADERS THIS IS WHAT AWAITS THE REST OF AMERICA . IF YOU FOLLOW THE NEWS AT ALL YOU KNOW THIS HAS HAPPENED IN ENGLAND , AND FRANCE AND SPAIN ..

IF YOU THINK THIS IS JUST A BUNCH OF HOOEY AND YOU FEEL NO DUTY TO FIGHT FOR THIS COUNTRY, THEN I'M SORRY, I DONT KNOW WHAT IT WILL TAKE FOR YOU TO STAND AND FIGHT.

I think you know I'm from Detroit, I grew up there. My dad was a firefighter there. The downfall of the city more than all other factors combined was I believe the corruption and completely incompetent leadership of Mayor Coleman Young. His goal was America's first all black city. He was going to show the world how it was done.

The following quote from the article, as far as I'm concerned is total BS. The immigration of Arabs is actually to Dearborn more so than to Detroit, it's the largest Arab population in the world outside of the middle east. This isn't a new development, it's been that way for generations. The most recent arrivals to the are are people who fled Iraq, and a good number of those are folks that cooperated with the Americans in their occupation of Iraq, they are being given refuge here from persecution of those who would kill them and their families for that cooperation. Still, the percentage of the population in the metro area that are of Arab descent is relatively small.

Detroit may be one of our best examples of multiculturalism: pure dislike, and total separation from America .
    Today, you hear Muslim calls to worship over the city like a new American Baghdad with hundreds of Islamic mosques in Michigan , paid for by Saudi Arabia oil money. High school flunk out rates reached 76 percent last June, according to NBC's Brian Williams. Classrooms resemble more foreign countries than America . English? Few speak it!
    Last edited by Buzz; 10-29-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Im from the Metro Detroit area.....live in the burbs but like most of the people in this area, still rely greatly on the auto industry for the overall well being of the area. When the auto industry was fat with cash, the crime and drug infestation was "easy" to deal with......only go downtown for sporting events and the once in a while night out. Now that the industry has had a collapse, the problems once covered up have come to light.

The school system is so bad its almost indescribable......the amount of immigrants from the middle east is staggering, further pushing an already broken system to near total collapse......the recovery from the "Hip Hop Mayor" Kwame Kilpatrick will take decades, (still have ghosts of the Coleman Young regime around) and worse, there seems to be a "we don't give a sh*t attitude" The entitlement mentality in the City of Detroit and its immediate surroundings is unbelievable. It seems as if most are just waiting for the "Chosen One" to come take care of them.

As far as the Dearborn / Detroit issue, most people from the area would agree, its one big area, with people from most of the immediate surrounding cities falling into the same category. Detroit, Dearborn, Ecorse, River Rouge, Warren, Eastpointe, Roseville and even Lincoln Park all succumbing to the same plague..........

This area STINKS !!! Its abysmal....still, there are those of us who have lived here a great portion of our lives and will stick it out until were completely overrun by gangbangers, drug dealers, non english speaking immigrants who DEMAND their own way and the like.

Welcome to Detroit......at least we have good hockey !!!!!
    ...Train the dog you have, not the one you WISH you had...

I am not from Detroit itself but a town 25 miles south. The riots of '67 and Coleman Young's regime among the contributors to the downfall. Also the emergence of narcotics also brought about a city infamous for its murder rate.

But, it was also southern politics that set the stage for Detroit's downfall. In the 50's the South was not as industrialized and agriculture was becoming mechanized. The South at that time minimally provided education for the black population. The result was an unskilled, under educated surplus underclass. Bus tickets to Detroit were issued by the local welfare agencies. At that time the car companies were running 2x 12 hour shifts/ 7 days a week. The welfare agencies assured the recipients of the tickets that good paying jobs could be found readily. How ever many that arrived in Detroit were not literate enough to fill out job applications. Still more were at the educational level that could be trained for anything but the most menial jobs.

The car companies made a high school diploma a requisite for employment and often would hire only if a trusted employee would vouch for an applicant.
    This essentially closed off the job market leaving many men trying unsuccessfully to maintain a family on minimum wage. Of course, there was a lot of family breakups and the burden then fell on the welfare system. After the riots of '67, white flight and job flight to the suburbs set the stage for what you see today.

Unscrupulous real estate agents fanned white fear with the practice of "block tipping". They realized that if the non-white population of a city block exceeded 20%, then there would be a mass sell off and they would then get the fees.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    I am not from Detroit itself but a town 25 miles south. The riots of '67 and Coleman Young's regime among the contributors to the downfall. Also the emergence of narcotics also brought about a city infamous for its murder rate.

But, it was also southern politics that set the stage for Detroit's downfall. In the 50's the South was not as industrialized and agriculture was becoming mechanized. The South at that time minimally provided education for the black population. The result was an unskilled, under educated surplus underclass. Bus tickets to Detroit were issued by the local welfare agencies. At that time the car companies were running 2x 12 hour shifts/ 7 days a week. The welfare agencies assured the recipients of the tickets that good paying jobs could be found readily. How ever many that arrived in Detroit were not literate enough to fill out job applications. Still more were at the educational level that could be trained for anything but the most menial jobs.

The car companies made a high school diploma a requisite for employment and often would hire only if a trusted employee would vouch for an applicant.
    This essentially closed off the job market leaving many men trying unsuccessfully to maintain a family on minimum wage. Of course, there was a lot of family breakups and the burden then fell on the welfare system. After the riots of '67, white flight and job flight to the suburbs set the stage for what you see today.

Unscrupulous real estate agents fanned white fear with the practice of "block tipping". They realized that if the non-white population of a city block exceeded 20%, then there would be a mass sell off and they would then get the fees.
    Interesting. I worked in NYC government in the 70's and we had busload after busload of people sent north from southern states with a one way ticket purchased by their local welfare offices and instructions for how to find the nearest welfare office when their buses pulled in. The worst case was a young, quadriplegic couple that were helped by their NJ welfare office to move to NYC, apply for Medicaid and welfare, and then apply for and receive 24 hour home care so that they could marry and live together. In about 1974, the cost to NYC was more than $100k per year and the savings to the NJ township where they lived before would have been similar. At various times we would try to file complaints, but were told by the Feds that iot would be illegal for us to place in obstacles in the way of such subsidized migrations.

In PA today, we have a parallel situation. We are the recipients of garbage from our surrounding states -- particularly NY and NJ. The Congressional caucuses of the garbage "exporting" states have been effective in using Federal regulations to prevent the state from interfering with this inter-state commerce. In Bucks County, where I live, the county put together a solid waste management plan in the mid-80's providing space sufficient to meet our disposal needs for more than a century. The power of the state was used to secure the land and taxes were adopted to compensate the host communities. In less than ten years that resource was exhausted by NYC and NJ, as have been multiple subsequent expansions. The private company that operates the primary land fill now controls the entire township government and pays annual rebates to the declining resident population in an effort to gain support for even greater expansions. However, no one in any other part of the county is prepared to invest in planning for waste disposal anymore because it will simply be consumed by our neighbors.

I linked those to friends and family I still have around SE Michigan. Here is a response from a girl I went to college with.

WOW - a little xenophobia goin' on here,eh? I still live here and I'd rather live around Muslims than in Detroit, where if you aren't the preferred color you are prey.
    As was discussed on here in the past, racial tension is probably as high around Detroit as it is anywhere.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

The 11-8-10 issue of Forbes has a good article "Detroit Must Shrink to Grow" about what now Mayor Dave Bing is trying to do to make the city viable. For those of you to young to know about Dave Bing, An AA from Syracuse who played for the Pistons. Great Player, Class Act - I wish him success.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I have to respond to UB's third posting above. I don't see the "Great Islamic Threat" emanating from Dearborn, Michigan. Only 2.86% of the city's dwellers consider themselves as practicing Muslims.

There are 3.5 million Arab-Americans in the U.S. or slightly over 1% of the total population. You maybe surprised to learn, Bill, 63% of Arab-Americans are Christians, 24% Muslim, 13% Jewish or other. I don't think worrying about 1/4% of the population establishing Sharia Law is worth the time to bunch your undies.

As for Illiteracy rates, Dearborn's 20% is better than detroit's 50% Those figures are for the populations in general and you can not ascribe that to the in the Arab-Amrican population as you have attempted.

Dearborn is an example of of an ethnic concentration of newly arrived immigrants. This is nothing new to American immigrant settlement. The Detroit area has also has a Polish settlement area, Hamtramck. There is Greektown, and Corktown, (although its original Irish settlers are no longer dominant there). St. Paul, Minnesota has its Swede Hollow and Frogtown (French Canadian) as well as the nearby Little Canada. San Francisco has its China Town and Japan Town as well as Russian Hill.

Every major American city has its ethnic neighborhood. These areas serve as a network for newly arrived immigrants to live in among culturally similar surroundings as well as being able to communicate with someone the speaks the language of the old country. (Ever try to learn another language as an adult?) Most ethnic neighborhoods tend to dissolve over time as has happened to Corktown, Frogtown, and is now happening to Hamtramck. Immigrant groups tend to assimilate by the third generation into the generic American cultural fabric.

Dearborn Michigan as a beachhead for a Muslim invasion? Nah, I don't think so!
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!