The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any RTF members from the Motor City?

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    By "running Jimmy out of the seat", you mean, of course, that Daschle was elected by the voters of the state of South Dakota over their one term Republican incumbent. If looking for a villain, you might want to look at his Republican primary opponent who came close to winning the primary because Abdnor was such a weak candidate.
    I would imagine the person I knew would be a gentleman when campaigning, if that is what you mean as weak then he would have been. But I knew him personally as someone, who though an immigrant of whatever nationality he was assimilated such that no one who knew the family questioned their right to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Ya mean to tell me that the SD voters sat by and let mean old Tom run old Jimmy right out of there? There wasn't an election of something? Had to be those dang indians coming for the feed and getting bribed into voting for the D.
    Buzz, the SD I grew up in would have questioned whether they would accept someone such as yourself. If you were anywhere but Brookings that still might be the case .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Exactly...and the salient point is, we're running out of space, resources and money. Fifty years ago, our resources seemed limitless and Detroit was a nice city. Now we KNOW we don't have unlimited resources to keep welcoming people that refuse to assimilate, are uneducated, pennyless and incapable of taking care of themselves, much less the babies they spawn like rabbits.
    I think that's a good subject for another thread - is it time to limit the unproductive's blank check on the earned resources of our country?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post

Buzz, the SD I grew up in would have questioned whether they would accept someone such as yourself. If you were anywhere but Brookings that still might be the case .
    They let me stick around just to help keep the pheasant population down.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    These same remarks were often sited when the Irish, Germans and Italians migrated to America. I think they all 'assimilated' just fine but it took a couple of generations. I don't see much different today. People that were already here were afraid of losing to the newcomers. And in many cases they did. Because immigrants are usually more appreciative and willing to work much harder than those who feel an an entitlement by birthright.
    If you read American history, the enthusiasm and diversity that immigrants bring to America has always been one of our strengths. In fact, it is a major distinction between America and the rest of the world. Today is not much different. I work for an organisation that has a very divers international work force. I hire people almost every week. There is no question, the immigrants are more than competitive with our home grown workers.
    The salient point went right by you. When those groups emigrated to this country, they worked hard, they didn't expect or take handouts and if they had large families, they were willing to work second and third jobs to make ends meet. Not show up at the welfare offices with their lazy paws out for free stuff. Yes they lived in run down areas when they first arrived, because that was all they could afford, but they made their communities better, not worse. They took pride in their homes and families, they learned the language and they strove to assimilate into their new world--not change it back to the ever-multiplying masses and squalor they came from. The same is NOT true of the wave of crimmigrants arriving daily.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981