The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 142

Thread: What's Up with This?

  1. #11
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    If three days, then $200 million/day would add up to $600 million. You couldn't spend that unless you were involving 30,000 people, not 3,000. I agree, the real question is why is he going at all. The answer is pretty straightforward. India in ne of our most important trading partners today and has a good chance of becoming or most important partner in Asia over the next 10+ years. As we find our world increasingly influenced by China, India has the potential to be a decisive ally. This trip has already been postponed repeatedly. India has been visited by US Presidents five times since its independence: Eisenhower in 1959, Nixon in 1969, Carter in 1978, Clinton in 2000, and Bush in 2006. Obama's early relations with India have not been strong, in contrast to the good relations that existed with Bush, Clinton and Reagan. If we wish to remain a significant force in Asia, we will need that relationship to be strong.
    You failed to figure your estimates for anything but the rooms. I suggest the items I mention are substantially more than the hotel bill.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  2. #12
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    You failed to figure your estimates for anything but the rooms. I suggest the items I mention are substantially more than the hotel bill.
    You can add the numbers any way you want. You will never come within an order of magnitude of $200 or $400 or $600 million. The numbers are complete BS. Even if you assumed that every plane flown there cost as much to operate as as Air Force 1, and even if you assumed the the 45 vehicles there were purchased for the occasion and would be junked at the end of the trip, you still could not come close on the numbers. Divide those numbers by ten and I suspect that they would still be too high.

  3. #13
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    You can add the numbers any way you want. You will never come within an order of magnitude of $200 or $400 or $600 million. The numbers are complete BS. Even if you assumed that every plane flown there cost as much to operate as as Air Force 1, and even if you assumed the the 45 vehicles there were purchased for the occasion and would be junked at the end of the trip, you still could not come close on the numbers. Divide those numbers by ten and I suspect that they would still be too high.
    So what, in your expert opinion, is your guess for the cost of this trip and is it a good deal for the tax payers?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  4. #14
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    So what, in your expert opinion, is your guess for the cost of this trip and is it a good deal for the tax payers?
    I suspect that you would need to look at the cost of the full, four nation trip (India, Indonesia, Korea, and Japan). The full cost will never be known since most of the costs would have still been there had everyone stayed in Washington (e.g., almost all of the staff are on the payroll for security and diplomatic purposes whether they are in India of the US). I would be surprised if the incremental cost of the trip is as large as $20 million, which, by the way, was about the cost, adjusted for inflation, of the last partners' meeting I attended at Ernst & Young where the 4,000 partners booked almost all of Epcot Center for four days. The primary focus of the trip is on counter terrorism and trade. A number of corporate CEOs from US companies will be pitching for greater access to the Indian market. I suspect that a lot of time will also be spent on issues related to Pakistan and China. Indonesia offers an opportunity fo an alternate path of communication with Muslim nations. Korea and Japan will focus largely on trade and issues related to North Korea. A side benefit of the trip will be that it will undoubtedly irritate China at least a little. They would love nothing more than to see the US pulling back on its engagement in Asia.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    According to NDTV.com, Obama's trip to Mumbai will cost $200 Million per day. About 3,000 people will accompany him including Secret Service, US Officials and journalists. Why in the heck is he even going there other than to hide for a few days? $200 Million per day. Unfriggin believable! With any luck, maybe he will just stay there.
    Sounds like you're confusing dollars with Yen.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    MK you are a fool - dont you realize it is worth every penny of any kazillion trillion that they spend to have obama continue his apology tour? where have you been??

    after the whipping he and his party are taking today, he now has to go on tour to apologize for apologizing.

    but of course, its bush who did it first so its ok. although bush never apologized, did he?....hmmmmmm

    half the man going overseas regards

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    MK you are a fool
    And David hit's one out of the park! By far the most intelligent thing you've said in a very long time.

  8. #18
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    I suspect that you would need to look at the cost of the full, four nation trip (India, Indonesia, Korea, and Japan). The full cost will never be known since most of the costs would have still been there had everyone stayed in Washington (e.g., almost all of the staff are on the payroll for security and diplomatic purposes whether they are in India of the US). I would be surprised if the incremental cost of the trip is as large as $20 million, which, by the way, was about the cost, adjusted for inflation, of the last partners' meeting I attended at Ernst & Young where the 4,000 partners booked almost all of Epcot Center for four days. The primary focus of the trip is on counter terrorism and trade. A number of corporate CEOs from US companies will be pitching for greater access to the Indian market. I suspect that a lot of time will also be spent on issues related to Pakistan and China. Indonesia offers an opportunity fo an alternate path of communication with Muslim nations. Korea and Japan will focus largely on trade and issues related to North Korea. A side benefit of the trip will be that it will undoubtedly irritate China at least a little. They would love nothing more than to see the US pulling back on its engagement in Asia.
    Since you didn't answer my question, I assume you don't know how much it will actually cost.

    Mike Huckabee just quoted the $200 Million a day figure. You will excuse me if I take his word over you, dnf and especially that doofus ds.
    Last edited by M&K's Retrievers; 11-02-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  9. #19
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Since you didn't answer my question, I assume you don't know how much it will actually cost.

    Mike Huckabee just quoted the $200 Million a day figure. You will excuse me if I take his word over you, dnf and especially that doofus ds.
    Who is the doofus ds?
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  10. #20
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Since you didn't answer my question, I assume you don't know how much it will actually cost.

    Mike Huckabee just quoted the $200 Million a day figure. You will excuse me if I take his word over you, dnf and especially that doofus ds.
    Believe whatever you want to believe. This is America.

    I'm just surprised we still have a national debt. I'm sure the House would have had it eliminated by now (0548 11/3) if not for the obstructionist white house!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •