R's won strongly in Pennsylvania. The news reports are that they will focus on state budget deficits by selling off the liquor business (long overdue IMO) and streamlining the Turnpike Authority (possibly melding it into the Dept of Transportation).

The Rs MUST make good on their campaign promises or they will not last as a majority. While the urban areas like Philadelphia & Pittsburgh usually tend liberal & vote D (as they did this time), the rest of the state leans more conservative, but the conservative voices cannot match the numbers of the population density of the urban areas most of the time. The D gubernatorial candidate took 84% (!) of the vote in Philadelphia County ... a county which, of course, includes the city of Philadelphia, which has been struggling financially for a long time.

Meanwhile, all areas seem to continue to groan under progressively higher property taxes.

The City of Allentown is proposing a .4% increase in local income tax to avoid yet another property tax increase. The extra .4% would be imposed only on those who work, but do not live in the city. This then means that residents who may live in Quakertown (nearby Upper Bucks County), which already has a 1.5% local income tax, but who work in Allentown, would be paying 1.9% income tax total (in addition to their State Income Tax).

17% of Allentown's budget is devoted to pension costs! Obviously, that is a major problem that needs to be addressed. The way their pension system works, there are Allentown policemen who retired on pensions that exceeded more than they ever earned on the job. We're talking like $80K to $100K/year retirement incomes on the high end.

Gov-elect Corbett (R) reminds me of Gov Christie of NJ, though I think Corbett is not of the same emotional demeanor that Christie seems to be. I think Corbett came off equal to Onorato in the public debates (maybe a slight edge to Corbett), but I doubted that Onorato would deviate from Rendell (D) in taking the state further into debt & higher taxation.