The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E Collar neck sores

Default E Collar neck sores

Last week I hunted my 14mo female lab on her first hunt in ND. started noticing sores (to the point of scabs) on her neck from my TT pro100, moved collar to other side and got the same thing. I tighten it to were i can put two fingers under collar and have used it in training all summer for shorter periods of time and have had nothing like this happen. She is smaller lab at 56lbs with fine hair. I've heard and read posts of too tight, too loose, short prongs, long prongs, even allergies..?. would like some feedback on others that have experienced this and how to correct. Thx

When does she have the collar on? Only when training? Around the house? All the time?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

ďPeople who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.Ē

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

collar is on only when training or going outside, not around the house and not all the time. Also forgot to mention i use the short prongs.

Sounds as if these are 'hot spots', not sores caused by e-collar. Hot spots frequently appear on the neck, where hair seems to be thicker. Some dogs never get them, some do on occasion. Best remedy is to shave the hair around the spot so air gets to it and it dries up and heals. You can also use an over the counter hot spot medication to help heal and prevent infection. Of course if this does not work or they are severe, contact your vet.

My dog gets these a lot. Especially when she is wet and it's warm out. Got to the point I had to stop using the collar when the conditions were right for the hot spots to come back. Had to cut the fur away as above mentioned. Read somewhere to put gold bond powder on the spot to help dry it out....worked like a charm! Also read somewhere it due to the dogs skin not the collar...like an allergy...I have noticed my girl has flaky skin in that area...
    Mary and
    Sterling's Lucy J. Two Shoes CL1 CL2-R CL2-H CL2-F NAC NJC CGC (Lucy)
    My first agility dog...thank you for everything!
    C-ATCH3 Creek Boats Heaven Sent JH AX AXJ XF SG CGC WC ASCA-RN (1 AKC RN Pass) 85 MACH Points (Midge)
    and,
    Blackfoot's Thyme to Shyne "Rayven"

Ty had small scabs for a while when he was younger. Usually, after being wet and wearing the collar for a long day. It wasn't covering a large area, just small occasional scabs.

I've seen a few young dogs get little sores but, they go away quickly. Maybe they develop a bit of a callous after some time, like a new pair of shoes might give you a blister the first few times you wear them and you actually take a long walk?

Seen them on Ty but, nothing for a long time.

If the measurement between the sores is the same distance as between the contact points you can bet they are contact sores.

My one dog only gets contact sores when she is bald...like a lab...... I think it is because the collar is too loose, worn for too many hours, repeatedly over numerous days and it is aggravated when the dog is wet.

Now my dogs only wear their collars when it is their turn out of the crate during training. When they are in the crate I make sure to take the collar off to avoid contact sores. Out hunting it is on all the time. I make sure to tighten it ...I can't get two fingers under the collar...when you think it is too tight, tighten it one more notch.

Only remedy is to get a toller....they have more hair so contact sores are pretty rare...and they don't have enough hair to get hot spots like a golden!!!! ROFL!!
    Last edited by Kasomor; 11-04-2010 at 02:59 PM.
    ~ Linda ~
    Kasomor NSDTR
    www.kasomor.com
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    CH Westerlea's Kasomor Trio SH WCX CDX
    OTCH CH Kasomor's Wack 'Em N Stack 'Em SH WCX

Yeah, Iím confident the 'hot spots' are from the prongs as she has two on either side of her neck. I guess Iíll try tightening it notch more. Seems awful tight tho... any thoughts for short vs long prongs with labs?

my dog gets these about once a month when I get the collar too loose. trim the hair and some neo and they are gone in a few days.

Just curious, do you guys use the long prongs or short? I have been thinking about switching to the short to see if that helps.

High and tight for the win... and check it again once you get in the duck blind.
    Gavin B.

Default E collar neck sores

Quote Originally Posted by Wagsga View Post
    Last week I hunted my 14mo female lab on her first hunt in ND. started noticing sores (to the point of scabs) on her neck from my TT pro100, moved collar to other side and got the same thing. I tighten it to were i can put two fingers under collar and have used it in training all summer for shorter periods of time and have had nothing like this happen. She is smaller lab at 56lbs with fine hair. I've heard and read posts of too tight, too loose, short prongs, long prongs, even allergies..?. would like some feedback on others that have experienced this and how to correct. Thx
    I have had a very similar problem with my 14 month old E. Spring Spaniel. I have used collars on several breeds for over 25 years, and this is something new for me. I have worked with the pup wearing the collar for the past 6 months, and have only started to use stimulation the past 5 weeks. My problem to not show up until my first hunts in we conditions ... thus, I think the wet hair has something to do with it ... as noted by others.