RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

E Collar neck sores

50K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Renee P. 
#1 ·
Last week I hunted my 14mo female lab on her first hunt in ND. started noticing sores (to the point of scabs) on her neck from my TT pro100, moved collar to other side and got the same thing. I tighten it to were i can put two fingers under collar and have used it in training all summer for shorter periods of time and have had nothing like this happen. She is smaller lab at 56lbs with fine hair. I've heard and read posts of too tight, too loose, short prongs, long prongs, even allergies..?. would like some feedback on others that have experienced this and how to correct. Thx

#2 ·
When does she have the collar on? Only when training? Around the house? All the time?

Evan

#4 ·
Sounds as if these are 'hot spots', not sores caused by e-collar. Hot spots frequently appear on the neck, where hair seems to be thicker. Some dogs never get them, some do on occasion. Best remedy is to shave the hair around the spot so air gets to it and it dries up and heals. You can also use an over the counter hot spot medication to help heal and prevent infection. Of course if this does not work or they are severe, contact your vet.

#5 ·
My dog gets these a lot. Especially when she is wet and it's warm out. Got to the point I had to stop using the collar when the conditions were right for the hot spots to come back. Had to cut the fur away as above mentioned. Read somewhere to put gold bond powder on the spot to help dry it out....worked like a charm! Also read somewhere it due to the dogs skin not the collar...like an allergy...I have noticed my girl has flaky skin in that area...

#6 ·
Ty had small scabs for a while when he was younger. Usually, after being wet and wearing the collar for a long day. It wasn't covering a large area, just small occasional scabs.

I've seen a few young dogs get little sores but, they go away quickly. Maybe they develop a bit of a callous after some time, like a new pair of shoes might give you a blister the first few times you wear them and you actually take a long walk?

Seen them on Ty but, nothing for a long time.

#7 · (Edited)
If the measurement between the sores is the same distance as between the contact points you can bet they are contact sores.

My one dog only gets contact sores when she is bald...like a lab...;)... I think it is because the collar is too loose, worn for too many hours, repeatedly over numerous days and it is aggravated when the dog is wet.

Now my dogs only wear their collars when it is their turn out of the crate during training. When they are in the crate I make sure to take the collar off to avoid contact sores. Out hunting it is on all the time. I make sure to tighten it ...I can't get two fingers under the collar...when you think it is too tight, tighten it one more notch.

Only remedy is to get a toller....they have more hair so contact sores are pretty rare...and they don't have enough hair to get hot spots like a golden!!!! ROFL!!

#9 ·
my dog gets these about once a month when I get the collar too loose. trim the hair and some neo and they are gone in a few days.

Just curious, do you guys use the long prongs or short? I have been thinking about switching to the short to see if that helps.

High and tight for the win... and check it again once you get in the duck blind.

#10 ·
E collar neck sores

I have had a very similar problem with my 14 month old E. Spring Spaniel. I have used collars on several breeds for over 25 years, and this is something new for me. I have worked with the pup wearing the collar for the past 6 months, and have only started to use stimulation the past 5 weeks. My problem to not show up until my first hunts in we conditions ... thus, I think the wet hair has something to do with it ... as noted by others.

#11 ·
They ARE hot spots. Not burns from contact (assuming collar is being used correctly), not allergies but irritation from friction which can be from the collar being too loose, and /or dirt that can get between the contacts points and skin. Dogs that tend to have sensitive skin are more apt to get them. Sometimes they out grow it as they mature, sometimes not. Bark collars can cause them too. Hot spots heal pretty quickly. You can shave the hair or not, wash with a antiseptic soap, rinse and dry thoroughly. Apply a topical antibiotic, betadine or yes, gold bond powder. Try to keep them from scratching and watch for a secondary infection. In the future, rotate the side collar is wore on throughout the day, remove it when you rotate and clean off the prongs, and use the shorter prongs. You can also take a sock, cut off the toe, roll it back so tube is double thickness and slide collar through so that it acts as a buffer between the prongs and neck area during longer wear like hunting. I have one girl who is 8 and she gets at least one a year during hunting season.

#12 · (Edited)
Actually they are not hotspots nor are they caused by wet hair or debris although after the sores start that can make them worse.

Its a contact allergy to the nickel in the stainless. I get similar reaction when I wear cheap earrings. Although my ears have been pierced for 30 years, one set of cheap earrings can have my ears red and oozing pus within 30 min.

About the only thing you can do is put a sock over the contacts when you use the collar (wet it first).

Some dogs outgrow it and some don't.

WRL

#15 ·
Its a contact allergy to the nickel in the stainless. I get similar reaction when I wear cheap earrings. Although my ears have been pierced for 30 years, one set of cheap earrings can have my ears red and oozing pus within 30
WRL
Ok.....I LOL at this.....not because its not true....because then I saw WRLs avatar picture again.....imagining that avatar with big earrings......!

Allergy is a possibility, but I also second the collar tightening....it helps...

Sue Puff.....who only wears silver jewelry!

#13 · (Edited)
There is also a adapter for Tritronics and other Ecollars that has a different setup for contact points that are covered in a copper alloy or copper? The adapter replaces the contact points, it is designed to be worn for longer times with less irritation to dogs neck and seems to me to work the same as the original contact points.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/do24copad.html

#14 ·
+1
Probably allergy related as stated. I have not personally seen this but know some pointer people who have the contact adaptors. They say it solved the problem well. And I too have the cheap earing reaction and it gets red sore itchy and scabbed. Haven't even worn earings in years but I would bet thats the issue. Agree you should rule out the collar being to loose first and besure its not on all the time, as well.

#21 ·
I went looking for info on this topic and found this thread. I wanted to start collar conditioning w/my 8 mo old YLM so I put the collar on him to get him accustomed to it. I left it on for about a week, 24/7 when I noticed the sores. I never even turned it on. It's definitely possible I had it on too loose, I was using the "2 finger" rule. I also wondered about an allergic reaction as this pup does seem to have sensitive skin. I think I'll try again and tighten it up and shorten the period of wear. If that doesn't work, I'll look into the alternate contacts. Thank for the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.