The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E Collar neck sores

They ARE hot spots. Not burns from contact (assuming collar is being used correctly), not allergies but irritation from friction which can be from the collar being too loose, and /or dirt that can get between the contacts points and skin. Dogs that tend to have sensitive skin are more apt to get them. Sometimes they out grow it as they mature, sometimes not. Bark collars can cause them too. Hot spots heal pretty quickly. You can shave the hair or not, wash with a antiseptic soap, rinse and dry thoroughly. Apply a topical antibiotic, betadine or yes, gold bond powder. Try to keep them from scratching and watch for a secondary infection. In the future, rotate the side collar is wore on throughout the day, remove it when you rotate and clean off the prongs, and use the shorter prongs. You can also take a sock, cut off the toe, roll it back so tube is double thickness and slide collar through so that it acts as a buffer between the prongs and neck area during longer wear like hunting. I have one girl who is 8 and she gets at least one a year during hunting season.
    Denise Jepson
    ​Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!

Banned

Actually they are not hotspots nor are they caused by wet hair or debris although after the sores start that can make them worse.

Its a contact allergy to the nickel in the stainless. I get similar reaction when I wear cheap earrings. Although my ears have been pierced for 30 years, one set of cheap earrings can have my ears red and oozing pus within 30 min.

About the only thing you can do is put a sock over the contacts when you use the collar (wet it first).

Some dogs outgrow it and some don't.

WRL
    Last edited by WRL; 10-28-2012 at 10:21 AM.

There is also a adapter for Tritronics and other Ecollars that has a different setup for contact points that are covered in a copper alloy or copper? The adapter replaces the contact points, it is designed to be worn for longer times with less irritation to dogs neck and seems to me to work the same as the original contact points.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/do24copad.html
    Last edited by Kelly Greenwood; 10-28-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH

+1
    Probably allergy related as stated. I have not personally seen this but know some pointer people who have the contact adaptors. They say it solved the problem well. And I too have the cheap earing reaction and it gets red sore itchy and scabbed. Haven't even worn earings in years but I would bet thats the issue. Agree you should rule out the collar being to loose first and besure its not on all the time, as well.
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post

Its a contact allergy to the nickel in the stainless. I get similar reaction when I wear cheap earrings. Although my ears have been pierced for 30 years, one set of cheap earrings can have my ears red and oozing pus within 30
    WRL
    Ok.....I LOL at this.....not because its not true....because then I saw WRLs avatar picture again.....imagining that avatar with big earrings......!

Allergy is a possibility, but I also second the collar tightening....it helps...

Sue Puff.....who only wears silver jewelry!
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Derry Pa Blackhawk's Southern Cross SH CD 9/22/93 - 7/15/08

Quote Originally Posted by Wagsga View Post
    Last week I hunted my 14mo female lab on her first hunt in ND. started noticing sores (to the point of scabs) on her neck from my TT pro100, moved collar to other side and got the same thing. I tighten it to were i can put two fingers under collar and have used it in training all summer for shorter periods of time and have had nothing like this happen. She is smaller lab at 56lbs with fine hair. I've heard and read posts of too tight, too loose, short prongs, long prongs, even allergies..?. would like some feedback on others that have experienced this and how to correct. Thx
    I had the same problem with Raider, small male 58 pounds. I switched his regular collar to a sport junior reciever and married it ot my pro 500. Problem solved. It may not be rechargeable but I get about a year out of a battery.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    Ok.....I LOL at this.....not because its not true....because then I saw WRLs avatar picture again.....imagining that avatar with big earrings!Sue Puff.....who only wears silver jewelry!
    You KNOW you want to see it!WRL

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    You KNOW you want to see it!WRL
    And if I could do any video editing, I'd make it so! Just for the image!
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    There is also a adapter for Tritronics and other Ecollars that has a different setup for contact points that are covered in a copper alloy or copper? The adapter replaces the contact points, it is designed to be worn for longer times with less irritation to dogs neck and seems to me to work the same as the original contact points.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/do24copad.html
    Has anyone ever used this product? My BLF gets these sores during hunting season when she has the collar on for extended periods of time. Might be worth looking into if corrections are consistent.
    We don't rent pigs.

Those adapters tend to work ok, some people state they feel a slight difference in the stim level though.

It's definitely not a "burn" as the stim, even on the highest level, doesn't put out any kind of heat nor can it even cause any organic damage.