The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: E Collar neck sores

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I went looking for info on this topic and found this thread. I wanted to start collar conditioning w/my 8 mo old YLM so I put the collar on him to get him accustomed to it. I left it on for about a week, 24/7 when I noticed the sores. I never even turned it on. It's definitely possible I had it on too loose, I was using the "2 finger" rule. I also wondered about an allergic reaction as this pup does seem to have sensitive skin. I think I'll try again and tighten it up and shorten the period of wear. If that doesn't work, I'll look into the alternate contacts. Thank for the info!

  2. #22
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
    Has anyone ever used this product? My BLF gets these sores during hunting season when she has the collar on for extended periods of time. Might be worth looking into if corrections are consistent.
    Not the one for Shock collars, but I have changed over a few bark collars to the copper plate, hot spots went away, no more contact allergy. If I recall they were also making snap on coating nubs plastic or something that snapped over the metal prong, same shock but No metal contact on the neck, thus no allergy.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

    GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

  3. #23
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kruzie96 View Post
    I went looking for info on this topic and found this thread. I wanted to start collar conditioning w/my 8 mo old YLM so I put the collar on him to get him accustomed to it. I left it on for about a week, 24/7 when I noticed the sores. I never even turned it on. It's definitely possible I had it on too loose, I was using the "2 finger" rule. I also wondered about an allergic reaction as this pup does seem to have sensitive skin. I think I'll try again and tighten it up and shorten the period of wear. If that doesn't work, I'll look into the alternate contacts. Thank for the info!
    The dog only wears the collar during training, not 24/7.
    Renee P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •