The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should Campaingn donation be restricted to sources within a candidate's district?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 70.37%
  • No

8 29.63%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should Outside Campaign Funding be banned?

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Bill I am not worried about your $200 dollars. But why not help those that represent you, instead of meddling in someone else's district? Michele Bachmann might agree with your politics, but it isn't her job to represent you. She represents the 6th district of Minnesota. You live in South Dakota.

PS. I bet you never listened to NBC, unless you had a barf bag handy.

Well with that mode of thinking where did all the national support $$$ for Harry Reid come from, Nevada isnt exactly a big populated state..Senate elections have become national because the candidates themselves along with the parties take their campaigns national...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Well with that mode of thinking where did all the national support $$$ for Harry Reid come from, Nevada isnt exactly a big populated state..Senate elections have become national because the candidates themselves along with the parties take their campaigns national...
    My point exactly. With that kind of money flooding campaigns is it any wonder the politicians no longer listen to their people?
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    My point exactly. With that kind of money flooding campaigns is it any wonder the politicians no longer listen to their people?
    they have prostituted themselves to special interest groups and lobbyists..the only equalizer that the public has is the power of the vote, and even that can be bought for chump change
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I don't recall any of you independants questioning where Obama's donations came from. Seems to me money from outside a district is one thing but what about donations from outside the country?
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

Quote Originally Posted by duckheads View Post
    I don't recall any of you independants questioning where Obama's donations came from. Seems to me money from outside a district is one thing but what about donations from outside the country?
    You've heard THIS independent question that several times. I don't care WHO the candidate is, or WHAT the party is, I don't want anonymous or foreign interests funding (ie buying) our elections. That is why I favor an amendment that clearly defines a "person" as a human being, and limit corporate donations. Maybe I didn't use the exact terms you would have preferred, but I have always been against these contributions.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    You've heard THIS independent question that several times. I don't care WHO the candidate is, or WHAT the party is, I don't want anonymous or foreign interests funding (ie buying) our elections. That is why I favor an amendment that clearly defines a "person" as a human being, and limit corporate donations. Maybe I didn't use the exact terms you would have preferred, but I have always been against these contributions.
    I didn't know that Obama's donations came from outside the country, which I think is what he is trying to imply.

I would like to see proof that he got donations from outside our border.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I didn't know that Obama's donations came from outside the country, which I think is what he is trying to imply.

I would like to see proof that he got donations from outside our border.
    If it was proven to you, then what would you do??

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    If it was proven to you, then what would you do??

RK
    In fact, both candidates in the last election received funds from foreign donors both directly and indirectly through PACs. Both returned those donations that were identified. One individual was arrested for illegal, foreign source donations to the Obama campaign but I do not know if he has been tried yet. Based on the United decision, it will be essentially impossible to prevent foreign funds from being used in S election campaigns since corporate donations and donations through 501 (c)(4) organizations such and Rove's Crossroads group and even the Chamber of Commerce will remain anonymous. With the mid-term elections, such anonymous donations may actually now represent the majority of all funds used in conjunction with election campaigns.

EDIT: To be clear, there is nothing illegal about donations received from non-US addresses. US citizens residing outside the US are perfectly entitled to contribute to campaigns. By virtue of its phenomenal success in raising small dollar contributions over the Internet, the Obama campaign received thousands of contributions from foreign addresses. In these, the computer system required that the donors check a box indicating that they were US citizens and enter a passport number in a box. Those numbers were not verified. Under US law, a campaign is required to exercise due diligence and then to return contributions that are determined to violate the law. An AP survey found that both campaigns took the money first and only asked questions later, if ever. In one instance, the McCain capaign returned some $50,000 that was solicited and received by a non-US citizen in Florida who had been asked to become a fund raiser by a McCain campaign staffer. A Canadian donor gave $500 to the Obama campaign, checked the citizen box and entered a passport number, but also wrote in the address space that he was not a citizen. Since donor lists and reports were automatically recorded and sent to the FEC, this record was sent as well and the money was refunded. (see, for example, http://sweetness-light.com/archive/a...taking-illegal)
    Last edited by YardleyLabs; 11-08-2010 at 01:48 PM.