The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobless Claims Up By 20,000

Default Jobless Claims Up By 20,000

Initial jobless claims up by 20,000 to 457,000 for the week ending Oct.30. The revised figure for the previous week was 437,000.
    Obama remains helpless to curb the unemployment rate. So much for his promise to keep unemployment below 8%. A failed presidency. A good reason for the Republican Blow Out.

I am no Obama Fan but I don't think you can reasonably blame him for the current unemployment rate. I bet you didn't give credit to Clinton for the economic boom and low unemployment when he was in office, nor do you give much of the blame to Bush. The reality is that we are in a resession of our own doing. For years we consumed on credit and didn't invest. In many areas we have been supassed by other nations. Presidents just don't have that much impact on short run economics.

Blame Obama for excellerating the debt crisis, for the healthcare bill,...ect... but unemployment isn't really his fault. No one can "fix" this, it just needs time and behavioral changes by Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    No one can "fix" this, it just needs time and behavioral changes by Americans.

Brilliant!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gman0046 View Post
    Initial jobless claims up by 20,000 to 457,000 for the week ending Oct.30. The revised figure for the previous week was 437,000.
    Obama remains helpless to curb the unemployment rate. So much for his promise to keep unemployment below 8%. A failed presidency. A good reason for the Republican Blow Out.

U.S. economy added 151,000 jobs in October

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40023597...sonal_finance/

The unemployment rate is still 9.6% despite Obongolo promising it wouldn't go above 8%. What say you Perry? Obviously you didn'r read the MSNBC article. I guess Obongolo disciples have to take some solace in small gains. I like BIG GAINS like the Tuesday BLOW OUT.
    Last edited by gman0046; 11-05-2010 at 03:28 PM.

The unemployment rate is still 9.6% despite Obongolo promising it wouldn't go above 8%. What say you Perry? Obviously you didn'r read the MSNBC article. I guess Obongolo disciples have to take some solace in small gains. I like BIG GAINS like the Tuesday BLOW OUT.
    While this is another example of a claimed "fact" that is repeated so often it "must be true", Obama never promised that unemployment would not go over 8%. The Office of Economic Advisors released an econometric projection estimating that unemployment would ultimately rise to more than 9.5% in the absence of a stimulus program. Based on the same model, they estimated that with the program that increase would be capped at 8%. They noted in the forecast that the estimate were speculative because of the severity of the downturn and that many economists believed unemployment would increase to 11% or more.
    "It should be understood that all of the estimates presented in this memo are subject to significant margins of error," the report states. "There is the more fundamental uncertainty that comes with any estimate of the effects of a program. Our estimates of economic relationships and rules of thumb are derived from historical experience and so will not apply exactly in any given episode. Furthermore, the uncertainty is surely higher than normal now because the current recession is unusual both in its fundamental causes and its severity."
    There's also a footnote that goes along with the chart that states: "Forecasts of the unemployment rate without the recovery plan vary substantially. Some private forecasters anticipate unemployment rates as high as 11% in the absence of action." http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ma-promised-s/)
    Hard to see anything there that looks like a "promise".

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Hard to see anything there that looks like a "promise".

Jeff, my 12 year old daughter can understand that, but I don't hold out much hope here.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    I am no Obama Fan but I don't think you can reasonably blame him for the current unemployment rate. I bet you didn't give credit to Clinton for the economic boom and low unemployment when he was in office, nor do you give much of the blame to Bush. The reality is that we are in a resession of our own doing. For years we consumed on credit and didn't invest. In many areas we have been supassed by other nations. Presidents just don't have that much impact on short run economics.

Blame Obama for excellerating the debt crisis, for the healthcare bill,...ect... but unemployment isn't really his fault. No one can "fix" this, it just needs time and behavioral changes by Americans.
    It also needs a review and changes in trade policies and incentives for Corporations to set up shop right here at home.

Roger Perry is in a dither over 151,000 jobs being created in October. Just heard on TV (not Fox) that at that if 200,000 jobs were created each month, it would take 12 years to get the unemployment rate at an acceptable rate. Any comments Perry?

Banned

Roger Perry is in a dither over 151,000 jobs being created in October. Just heard on TV (not Fox) that at that if 200,000 jobs were created each month, it would take 12 years to get the unemployment rate at an acceptable rate. Any comments Perry?
    Well, gboy, I also heard on the news that during the last 3 months that more jobs were created than in the last 4 years. You do remember the last 2 years of the Bush Admninistration where the unemployment went soaring to record highs? Did you actuaually think the unemployment rate would start going down when Obama took over the office of the Presidency when Bush left office and the Country was on the brink of a Depression? Get real. In case you do not remember where Bush left off, here is a chart even you can understand.

Monthly Unemployment Rate Chart

This chart shows the seasonally adjusted Unemployment Rate from January 2003 through December 2008. The rate was 5.8 percent in January 2003. It peaked at 6.3 percent in June 2003, and then it began an uneven but steady decline. By December 2003 it had dropped to 5.7 percent, below the level it was at in January of that year. The rate continued to decline till it reached a low of 4.4 percent in October 2006. It rose to 4.6 percent by January of 2007, but declined to 4.4 percent again by March 2007. The rate then underwent an uneven increase until it reached 7.2 percent in December of 2008. (The source is the Bureau of Labor Statistics.)

BLS Series LNS 14,000,000 Seasonal Unemployment Rate 16 years and overYearJan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 2003 5.8 5.9 5.9 6.0 6.1 6.3 6.2 6.1 6.1 6.0 5.8 5.7 2004 5.7 5.6 5.8 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.5 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.4 5.4 2005 5.2 5.4 5.2 5.1 5.1 5.0 5.0 4.9 5.1 5.0 5.0 4.8 2006 4.7 4.7 4.7 4.7 4.7 4.6 4.7 4.7 4.5 4.4 4.5 4.4 2007 4.6 4.5 4.4 4.5 4.5 4.6 4.74.74.74.84.75.02008 4.94.85.1 5.0 5.5 5.5 5.76.16.16.56.77.0
    Created: March 27, 2004
    Updated: December 31, 2009

http://www.doleta.gov/Performance/Ch...t_Jan03_09.cfm

Do you see a trend here of the unemployment rate increasing (that is indicated by the yellow line going up) just so you understand.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 11-06-2010 at 10:44 AM.