The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Olberman suspended by MSNBC

Banned

but doesnt suspension just mean temporary? he wasnt axed. just a few days off without pay and the mouth returns...

don't worry about olberman, I expect he will be on some football show this weekend telling some 22 year old first year pro that he is the worst person in the world.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    but doesnt suspension just mean temporary? he wasnt axed. just a few days off without pay and the mouth returns...
    I imagine somewhere, a group of lawyers is busy hashing this out. It's what liberals do. NBC can't fire him for such a petty contract violation. They would then have to honor and pay his contract. It's all just a legal game setting up negotiations. Does any of this have to do with Comcasts proposed purchase of NBC? Whadda you think?
    Like the commentators at Fox, Olberman is not a journalist. He is an opinionator and entertainer. Maybe KO LLC has just as much right to political free speech as any other corporation. I thought we wanted an unrestricted level playing field?
    This will play itself out. In the final analysis parties and politics will count for little. What will count, is can the CO's that control the various media make a buck selling Prius's to you and me?

Good lookin' pup BTW, Enjoy JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

It's funny how others in the network are allowed to make political contributuions but not Olberman. In 2006 Joe Scarborough gave $4200 to Derrick Kitts (R-OR) and between 2005-2008 Pat Buchanan made five contributions to Republican candidates, totaling $2250 and there are others.
    My suspicion is that this has something to do with the new owners of MSNBC, Cox Communications. I believe they were just looking for away to terminate him and this was there chance.

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    It's funny how others in the network are allowed to make political contributuions but not Olberman. In 2006 Joe Scarborough gave $4200 to Derrick Kitts (R-OR) and between 2005-2008 Pat Buchanan made five contributions to Republican candidates, totaling $2250 and there are others.
    My suspicion is that this has something to do with the new owners of MSNBC, Cox Communications. I believe they were just looking for away to terminate him and this was there chance.
    if you read the article the infraction is not that Olberman donated to the campaigns, the infraction is that he failed to disclose to his employers that he donated to those campaigns....when I used to watch CNBC they would always run the disclaimer that their on air talent had divested themselves of any market involvement
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    if you read the article the infraction is not that Olberman donated to the campaigns, the infraction is that he failed to disclose to his employers that he donated to those campaigns....when I used to watch CNBC they would always run the disclaimer that their on air talent had divested themselves of any market involvement
    There seems to be some confusion on what is the real cause of his suspension. I have seen some conflicting accounts on what was the real cause. Regardless though as I see it, some people did not like him and didn't want him around anymore so this seemed like a good opportunity to dump him.
    Although I am not certain this specific language was in his contract this is the corporate policy of NBC news the parent company of MSNBC

"Anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest. Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the President of NBC News or his designee."

Two things stand out about this, the first Keith Olberman is far from an impartial journalist at least most people would agree with this. The other point is that it says that " you should report any conflicts of interest"

Should is a far cry from "will" and is open to a wide interpretation.

Well that didnt last long ....NBC just announced his suspension will be lifted on Tuesday
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

How much air time did he miss? None? They are pretty strict over there.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    How much air time did he miss? None? They are pretty strict over there.
    If you base it on listeners.....NOT MUCH!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Oh no they didn't...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/45411.html

Joe Scarborough suspended from MSNBC for campaign donations
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)