The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NRA Members - Amendment protecting fishing/hunting rights

are you kidding me? There are MANY species of fish that are over fished almost to extinction.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    How do you feel about beavers?
    I would rather keep this PG.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    You have a good point. And there are lots of fish where I live. But most of them are stocked now. Which is fine too. But good trophy's... They are very hard to get anymore.
    I am glad you see the importance of man's assistance (hatchery's) but it should not excuse us of our disregard for their NATIVE water to spawn naturally.....

I agree trophies are harder to come buy but I still EVERY YEAR see photos of 50LB Chinook's being landed on the SACRAMENTO river (personally havent hit into anything over 40, 37 is my Cali record fish), and that is the hardest hit of all the rivers....(well the Klamath is EXTREAMLY bad as well)

We need to find a balance, of natural runoff being allowed to reach the ocean, here in the Delta system of N.Cali which is some of the most valuable land in the WORLD for crop, the rivers have been damed up so bad to provide water for farming (which isnt bad) and water for S. Cali (which is FREAKING HORRIBLE) the salt line is pushing Rio Vista which is almost an hour and a half up river from the intet at SF by land and which is probally at a 25 Knt clip a 3+ hr run by water.

But, just like most everything else in this DAMNED state, the brain trust that is...just SCREWS up more and more each year, month and what seems DAILY....

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    are you kidding me? There are MANY species of fish that are over fished almost to extinction.
    Ohhhh Cody,

yes, I'm kidding you......

Really???? Who signs on to a Retriever Training forum with a handle like nor cal ANGLER.....probally someone that spends more time in a boat, or on a bank then he/she does Training Dogs.....just saying think about that one!!!!

NCA

Ohhh and Buzz...and anyone else that would like to take up my offer to research PFMC and MLPA...

Dont get the worng idea about my suggestion...(I dont really think you would) but in my book...THAT IS MY ENEMY!!!!!!!

take what you want from a glossing over of their website...but I have been to their meetings, attended confrences, placed my calls, and picked their brains....I know better....the closing of our waters is their NUMBER ONE PRIORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give them an INCH and they will take our COASTLINE!!!!!!!!!!! and then start INLAND!!!!

just so you know where I stand, regards

NCA

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler View Post
    I would rather keep this PG.....lol

I am glad you see the importance of man's assistance (hatchery's) but it should not excuse us of our disregard for their NATIVE water to spawn naturally.....

I agree trophies are harder to come buy but I still EVERY YEAR see photos of 50LB Chinook's being landed on the SACRAMENTO river (personally havent hit into anything over 40, 37 is my Cali record fish), and that is the hardest hit of all the rivers....(well the Klamath is EXTREAMLY bad as well)

We need to find a balance, of natural runoff being allowed to reach the ocean, here in the Delta system of N.Cali which is some of the most valuable land in the WORLD for crop, the rivers have been damed up so bad to provide water for farming (which isnt bad) and water for S. Cali (which is FREAKING HORRIBLE) the salt line is pushing Rio Vista which is almost an hour and a half up river from the intet at SF by land and which is probally at a 25 Knt clip a 3+ hr run by water.

But, just like most everything else in this DAMNED state, the brain trust that is...just SCREWS up more and more each year, month and what seems DAILY....

Ohhhh Cody,

yes, I'm kidding you......

Really???? Who signs on to a Retriever Training forum with a handle like nor cal ANGLER.....probally someone that spends more time in a boat, or on a bank then he/she does Training Dogs.....just saying think about that one!!!!

NCA
    Maybe you should look up the blue fin tuna if you don't believe we haven't over fished any species

I hope the NRA stays out of the fish business!
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    What evidence do you have that there is any threat to our fishing rights coming down the pike, besides more fear mongering?
    Wow, I forget that this is a nationwide forum, and largely freshwater. Here are some FACTS of which you may be unaware. If my business was not involved, I would not know about these things, either.

Evidence:
    -----------------------------------
    Executive order signed 7-19-2010.

For Immediate Release July 19, 2010
    Executive Order--Stewardship of the Ocean, Our Coasts, and the Great Lakes
    By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered....
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...nd-great-lakes

You have to read the reccomendations and background to see how close this came to including ALL inland bodies of water. The door is still open for it, they're just doing baby steps...The individual states used to have control over their own coastal waters...not anymore! With the stroke of his mighty pen, the President took state waters away!

Evidence
    ------------------------------------
    Did you know that if you are an angler in saltwater, that there is a LAW that you MUST "register" with the government? https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/how...ster/index.htm

States are being "encouraged" to share their fishing license information with the federal government for the purpose of counting fish.

Evidence
    -------------------------------------
    I do not confess to know about freshwater stocks. But I do know that the data the feds are using to shut down much of saltwater RECREATIONAL fishing, is not only several years old, but based on flawed survey techniques and bad science.

http://wwwtest.recfin.org/examples/cell.htm

This is the SAME survey that calculated RECREATIONAL EFFORT increased over 400% in a year when the Gulf of Mexico was hit by 4 hurricanes!

Evidence
    ------------------------------------------------
    The EPA is ON RECORD as saying that any hunting/fishing reductions must go after angelers first, because the NRA lobby is too strong. (See the public record of the lead in ammunition and fishing tackle hearings)

Evidence
    ---------------------------------------
    The Gulf Council (one of 7 regional bodies for regulating saltwater fishing) prohibited reporter covering a recent PUBLIC workshop from recording, taking pictures, or even taking notes during the workshop! A local firshing rights group had to call its attorney to ask the council what law prohibits the recording of a PUBLIC workshop (that cost over $100K in tax money)? They relented and allowed the reporter to stay.
    ---------------------------------------
    The Environmental Defense Fund (paid by NOAA to administer the above referenced workshop), Ocean Conservancy, SOS, Pew Charitible Trust, and other environmental groups call this scare tactics. I call it a methodical, systematic, step by step picking apart of fishing rights. Like the majority of hunters, most Anglers are interested in conservation, and support size limits and closeures WHEN WARRENTED. We also occasionally eat what we catch.

I have been watching our saltwater rights get whittled down year after year. We have been SCREAMING for changes to the surveys for the last 10 years, and STILL they are using the same useless method, always falling back on, "the law required us to act on the 'BEST AVAILABLE SCIENCE' regardless of whether or not that science is flawed".

Unfortunately, for some reason anglers don't want to band together to fight...they want to leave it for someone else, and I must admit that following what is happening is immensely time consuming. That's the point. They know we're not organized, and we don't have the voice. Sure would be nice if we could get one.

My original post was not to suggest that the NRA divert any of it's energy or funds to fishing. It was to see if a fishing arm could be added, because frankly, the NRA scares the Cr-- out of the legislature!

well anglers have their own organizations. If there is interest, strengthen those organzations so they have some clout. BTW, after the way some bass tournament guys treated us several years back when we attempted, with full authorization, (they refused to leave, held the event up for hours) to close a small section of river for a HT, who cares what happens to them.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    well anglers have their own organizations. If there is interest, strengthen those organzations so they have some clout. BTW, after the way some bass tournament guys treated us several years back when we attempted, with full authorization, (they refused to leave, held the event up for hours) to close a small section of river for a HT, who cares what happens to them.
    No worries, soon you will need a federal permit and permission to use that same stretch of water! Access to the resource includes hunting, too!