The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are We in Afghanistan??

Default Why are We in Afghanistan??

We need to get out....NOW!!!

Arlington Hts, IL Marine dies in Afghanistan

"A young Marine from Arlington Heights was killed in Afghanistan Wednesday, only a month into his first tour of duty overseas.

Lance Cpl. James Bray Stack leaves a wife, Katelyn Landeweer Stack, also from Arlington Heights, and their 1-year-old daughter, Mikayla, said his father, Robert Stack.

Stack was shot in the head during combat, according to papers the military gave the family.

The 20-year-old man had been home-schooled by his parents, Linda and Robert Stack, with curriculum from Christian Liberty Academy in Arlington Heights, where his father teachers junior high science.

Stack was in Afghanistan one month, and letters home had just arrived this week with descriptions of fierce fighting.

He was a rifleman in India Company 3/5 Marines in the 1st division serving in Sangin in Helmand province, considered one of the most violent places in Afghanistan, according to The Associated Press.

“It sounded like he was fired on every day,” said his father, referring to James Stack’s letters. “He saw men blown to pieces. One man from Chicago died as they were evacuating him. James helped put him in the helicopter and watched him die.

“He said one minute you would be having a good time with your friends and joking around, and the next day they were gone.”

The Marine told his family that being based near a river was a great stress reliever. Known as an outdoorsman from his days spent on the central Illinois farm owned by his grandfather, Gene Bray of Long Grove, James Stack enjoyed sitting by the river in Afghanistan and swimming and fishing in it.

In his last letters he commented that he had made it through another day, and he wasn’t afraid.

“I can shoot better than they can, don’t worry about me, I’m coming home,” James Stack wrote.

Robert Stack praised his daughter-in-law, who he said had been living at Camp Pendleton north of San Diego but was visiting her family in this area when she got the news.

“Katie has demonstrated qualities we can all be proud of,” he said, “with a young child and to be separated from her husband by a tour of duty.”

Katelyn attended both Prospect High School and Christian Liberty Academy.

James Stack became interested in the Marines when he was very young.

“As he grew older he expressed interest to serve his country,” his father said. “I think that was what motivated him. He wanted to use his skills. He was a very resourceful young man.”

James Stack was a national champion air pistol shooter in the 2008 Junior Olympics and a member of the Arlington International Airgun Club. He played soccer with Christian Liberty and was named Most Valuable Player on the school’s track team.

“For a man of his age he was extraordinary, and he was trying to do his very best for the Marine Corps and for his family,” said his father, fighting back tears.

“He was a Christian. As a family we are comforted knowing that according to Scripture he’s in glory with our Lord. I know we will see him again.”

James also has a 16-year-old sister, Megan.

“Freedom is not free,” said Robert Stack. “The military pays the price with their own blood. I have no regrets. I was his biggest supporter and biggest fan.

“I can’t think of anything that made me prouder than seeing him become a Marine and seeing what he had to go through to earn that title. I didn’t appreciate how difficult it is.”

RIP Marine, thank you.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Highway of Heroes ... each fallen Canadian soldier is honored this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFmXKMki8sA
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Sad but classy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife asked me yesterday to name one good reason we are there - I answered with "Their young women deserve the opportunity to be properly educated".

I am not happy with the mismanagement & miscalculation by all involved but have no suggestion for change. But I would turn off the money spigot now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Banned

but The Apologist doesnt care. 2 veterans days in a row and where was he??? apologizing to muslims and praising what a peaceful and lovely religion it is and making excuses for jihad. you would think he could have at least made a statement from "over there".

instead, this is what he had to say:
    "This great country," of course, being Indonesia.
    "When my stepfather was a boy, he watched his own father and older brother leave home to fight and die in the struggle for Indonesian independence," Obama told the audience.

classy. honoring his relatives "over there" but he cant be troubled to give one ounce of support to the veterans here on the soil they sacrificed to protect. i am sure veterans everywhere were thrilled by Bidens understudy roll.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    but The Apologist doesnt care. 2 veterans days in a row and where was he??? apologizing to muslims and praising what a peaceful and lovely religion it is and making excuses for jihad. you would think he could have at least made a statement from "over there".

"When my stepfather was a boy, he watched his own father and older brother leave home to fight and die in the struggle for Indonesian independence," Obama told the audience.

classy. honoring his relatives "over there" but he cant be troubled to give one ounce of support to the veterans here on the soil they sacrificed to protect. i am sure veterans everywhere were thrilled by Bidens understudy roll.
    Didn't see you post any acknowledgment or thanks yesterday either dg. To busy honoring yourself, I'm sure. There's a lot of vets here. I'm one...are you? And try to stay OT. "Why are we in Afghanistan"?

JDogger
    Last edited by JDogger; 11-13-2010 at 01:07 AM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

That saddens me so much.

Thank you is not enough and yet, thanks, along with prayers and sympathy to this brave man's family is all that we can offer.

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post

As usual, of course, you got it wrong again. Obama met with troops in South Korea to remember our veterans and praise our future veterans. His remarks, in part, were:
    At the Korean War Memorial in Washington, there is a plaque right near the inscription that lists the number of Americans who were killed, wounded, mission in action, and held as prisoners of war. It says “Our nation honors her sons and daughters who answered the call to defend a country they never knew and a people they never met.”

A country they never knew and a people they never met. I know of no better words to capture the selflessness and generosity of every man or woman who has ever worn the uniform of the United States of America. At a time when it has never been more tempting or accepted to pursue narrow self-interest and personal ambition, you remind us that there are few things more American than doing what we can to make a difference in the lives of others.

That is why you will always be the best that America has to offer the world. And that is why people who never met you and never knew you will always be grateful to the friend and ally they found in America. Thank you for your service, may God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...ama-korea.html
    Of course, maybe in your book it doesn't count because when he met with the troops in Korea it was 11/11/2010 but, because of the 14 hour time difference, it was still late Wednesday night here. He was in Korea attending the G-20 Conference on Veterans Day, not in Indonesia.

Meanwhile, Michelle Obama surprised troops at Ramstein AFB in Germany where her plane stopped to refuel on its way back to the US. She joined the troops for a special Veterans Day meal at the base where she helped in serving steaks.
    After serving steaks and delivering a short speech to a cheering crowd, Mrs. Obama went around the room sharing hugs, smiles and handshakes.

"This was an awesome surprise," said Tech. Sgt. Tiana Simms-Russell, 86th Services Squadron North Side Fitness Center, non-commissioned officer in charge. "I think it's great that she took the time to come see us here on Veterans Day. It really shows that she cares."

While at Ramstein, Mrs. Obama also took some time to visit wounded service members at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, and briefly met with her German counterpart, First Lady Bettina Wulff. http://www.dvidshub.net/news/59958/f...l-veterans-day

Banned

"?After serving steaks and delivering a short speech to a cheering crowd, Mrs. Obama went around the room sharing hugs, smiles and handshakes."

oh yeah, we all know how the military is in overwhelming support of democrats in general and this fool in particular. sorry, but it doesnt count when its a planted crowd. they even have to plant the crowd when he speaks at colleges, so it was all for show. how many of the people he spoke to were vets? ZERO, they are still enlisted. kinda like congratulating juniors for graduating, no? not that the enlisted crew dont deserve recognition, they most certainly do. armed forces day is another great day we should all recognize. 2 years in a row not speaking to the generations of vets here at home. and for what? a failed trip where he comes home with egg on his face, being rebuffed at avery stop. AND MAKING EXCUSES FOR JIHADISTS.

the unknown soldier goes two years without the president of the nation recognizing him, instead all he got was the bumbling fool of a vp.

actually, he probably doesnt mind this time. who wants a pat on the back from a president who cant face our enemies or address the truth about jihad??
    Last edited by david gibson; 11-13-2010 at 07:50 AM.

I expect the reasons are many for why we are in Afghanistan. Foremost in that list is to attempt to keep an entire nation from becoming a training base for terrorists that are trying to kill us.

Semper Fidelis and RIP Lance Cpl. James Bray Stack
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Why,
    Nation building? Promoting Peace on earth? Or simply wiping our hinny after defecating?
    Way back when, when the Soviet Union was battling Afghanistan. Those tenacious devils
    Were our brothers in arms. We supplied and trained and created a force that drove back
    The might of the Soviet Union. And then we stepped away. Bigger questions I feel are not why
    But why we waited so long, why not sooner, and why not next door in Mexico as well?

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin