The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Man shoots TV after watching Palin dance

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    I try not to judge folks. But I have to admit when I see people so fat they need a cart to roll around on it bothers me. No doubt when they are not eating at Mickey D's they are shopping as you described above.
    Likewise. You will never see me ridicule someone who is trying to stay in, or regain shape. (unless I'm looking in a mirror)

A friend of mine from Sri Lanka pointed out that in America we have it backwards. Where he's from, only the rich are "robust"....the poor are very, very thin.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Likewise. You will never see me ridicule someone who is trying to stay in, or regain shape. (unless I'm looking in a mirror)

A friend of mine from Sri Lanka pointed out that in America we have it backwards. Where he's from, only the rich are "robust"....the poor are very, very thin.
    In America the poor eat at fast food. It is the cheapest food out there. Even cheaper than preparing a meal. The poor in America are also more likely to be working many hours with both spouses and don't have time to prepare meals. Fast food equals high carbs and hi fat content. Hence the poor in America are more prone to be gross overweight.

In America the poor eat at fast food. It is the cheapest food out there. Even cheaper than preparing a meal. The poor in America are also more likely to be working many hours with both spouses and don't have time to prepare meals. Fast food equals high carbs and hi fat content. Hence the poor in America are more prone to be gross overweight.
    That is not even close to being correct. What the poor people who think that fast food is cheap really need is more education in how to shop frugally and prepare healthy meals. A little self pride and common sense wouldn't hurt either.

DNF, do I need to go over the grocery list discussion again with DD?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    That is not even close to being correct. What the poor people who think that fast food is cheap really need is more education in how to shop frugally and prepare healthy meals. A little self pride and common sense wouldn't hurt either.

Actually it is correct. I've done some research. My wife has done a lot more. These are large numbers and general trends however. And there are always exceptions. I do agree that education is needed. As is better regulation of the food industry.

I think you're BOTH correct.

For those willing to do the "work" of preparing food, there are MUCH cheaper ways to shovel protein, carbs, and a little fat into our pie holes, in a healthy manner.

However, for those who aren't willing to put a little effort into it, and prefer processed, boxed meals, yes....it is cheaper to have someone hand you a heart-attack in a bag at your favorite drive thru, compared to many other easy meals.

Duck, you and I agree on this. I am constantly amused when store clerks ask me "what's this??", when they see ginger root, brussel sprouts, lemongrass, etc... Its a sad state of affairs.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

I think you're BOTH correct.

For those willing to do the "work" of preparing food, there are MUCH cheaper ways to shovel protein, carbs, and a little fat into our pie holes, in a healthy manner.

However, for those who aren't willing to put a little effort into it, and prefer processed, boxed meals, yes....it is cheaper to have someone hand you a heart-attack in a bag at your favorite drive thru, compared to many other easy meals.

Duck, you and I agree on this. I am constantly amused when store clerks ask me "what's this??", when they see ginger root, brussel sprouts, lemongrass, etc... Its a sad state of affairs.
    You don't have to go to the fast food joint to get the trash anymore either. For example 75 cents for a frozen pizza that is almost all carbs and has so many chemicals I can't even pronounce. Fast, tasty and filling. And about as unhealthy as food gets.
    If you want a good wake up call for food in America I recommend the video "Food Inc". There are also many others out there. Lots of things you purchase in the Grocery store are as bad, or worse than Fast Food at Restaurants.

You don't have to go to the fast food joint to get the trash anymore either. For example 75 cents for a frozen pizza that is almost all carbs and has so many chemicals I can't even pronounce. Fast, tasty and filling. And about as unhealthy as food gets.
    If you want a good wake up call for food in America I recommend the video "Food Inc". There are also many others out there. Lots of things you purchase in the Grocery store are as bad, or worse than Fast Food at Restaurants.
    As an ex college student ( about to be going back for bachelors though) how dare you make fun of those 75 cent pizza's. Those things taste amazing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    As an ex college student ( about to be going back for bachelors though) how dare you make fun of those 75 cent pizza's. Those things taste amazing
    I know, I just ate one yesterday

I think DD needs grocery shoppping 101!
    What is so hard about bananas are .59 lb vs almost $4 for a bag of doritos that may contain 1 lb. I can buy alot of bananas for 4 bucks. Look at the crap in the cart the next time you are behind that obese person in the checkout line DD.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Yup, we had a kid working waiting tables a while back while going to school who was from Nigeria. What a great person! Spoke with a heavy British accent “The Queens English!” And he made the same comment. About how only in America were the unemployed fat and driving cars and the working folk are thin (some of us) running and walking all over the roads. It was an interesting point. And get him going on famine relief if you wanted to hear some very politically incorrect stuff! I recall bringing up a UNICEF or Sally Struthers TV commercial one time, “Oh the starving children” I said and he looked at me with this look like I was the most stupid person on earth and said, “Those People, They live in the F___ing desert and all they do is F___!!!! No wonder they are starving!!!” And he wasn’t cold. He was one of the most caring fellers I worked with. He was just painfully practical in his world view.

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin