The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: N Korea Attacks S Korea

  1. #11
    Senior Member duckheads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    640

    Default

    I heard that we strongly condemned N Korea for this act. Obama is probably going to the UN now to get more sanctions against N. Korea. If I was N Korea I would be scared!
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

  2. #12
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Maybe a little incentive to get the heck out of Iraq/Afghanistan!?
    I heard on the radio today that there was a poll done recently in Afghanistan. It showed that 98% of the people there never heard of 9-11 and are totally unaware of the event and that it has anything to do with the US forces being there.

    Sweet!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  3. #13
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I heard on the radio today that there was a poll done recently in Afghanistan. It showed that 98% of the people there never heard of 9-11 and are totally unaware of the event and that it has anything to do with the US forces being there.

    Sweet!
    Yeah, lots of chatter today on the radio. I heard a little different...I heard only 8% of Afghan adults ever heard of 9-11. Same point.

    If they haven't heard of 911, they're probably have other more malignant ideas about what we're doing there. That is a total failure of State (and to the extent they should be involved, the military) to win the minds of the Afghan people. The "Three Cups of Tea" author made it clear how to win this war on terror, and we're ignoring his advice.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  4. #14
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I heard on the radio today that there was a poll done recently in Afghanistan. It showed that 98% of the people there never heard of 9-11 and are totally unaware of the event and that it has anything to do with the US forces being there.

    Sweet!
    not disputing that they havent heard of 9/11....but I would question the validity of the poll...what did someone go on camelback and ask the feudal warlords if they had heard about it...its not like they have Verizon or Sprint towers on every mountain, and I would guess that the 4g iPhone hasnt made it to the tribal highlands let alone the streets of the capitol..
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  5. #15
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    not disputing that they havent heard of 9/11....but I would question the validity of the poll...what did someone go on camelback and ask the feudal warlords if they had heard about it...its not like they have Verizon or Sprint towers on every mountain, and I would guess that the 4g iPhone hasnt made it to the tribal highlands let alone the streets of the capitol..

    Hey, Bon,

    "There's lies, damned lies and statistics!!!"


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  6. #16
    Senior Member BrianW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athol, North Idaho
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    South Korea is capable of defending themselves. American's don't need to die trying to defend the Korean Peninsula.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc E View Post
    The thing we need to remember is that N. Korea has the 2nd largest ground force Army in the world
    When I was in SK in the winter of 2007-08, I had the chance to speak to quite a few GI's stationed up by "the line" during my trips into Seoul/Itaewon. The predominant opinion was that, if the North did a blitzkrieg attack, they had about 30 minutes to live. Our troops are basically a "speedbump" designed to slow the DPRK down just enough to weapons in the air.

    But you've got to remember just how close Seoul, Inchon etc is to the North. Even without that blitz, the devastation to industry & infrastructure that could be caused by just by artillery, rockets & short range surface to surface missles would quickly be in the billions, crippling one of the thriving economies that is friendly to the US, not to mention the phenomenal loss of life. Seoul alone has a population of over 12 million people.

    Think about how much SK production from Samsung, LG, Hyundai and so on drives our Western culture. Our troops and the money it costs to have them there are a small "insurance premium" compared to the effect on the world of losing the ROK. Imo, we get a lot more ROI on our money there than most places our troops are stationed.

    Let's hope that both Obama and Lee Myung-bak have the wisdom to deal with KJI/KJU appropriately. A carrier battle group is pointless without the resolve to use it and is a lot different than authorizing SEAL snipers to shoot pirates. I doubt that PBO could/would do anything without China's permision so what does that say about who the real superpower is now?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791
    ________________________________________
    Proud partner of (HR) WR SR Brian's 44Magnum Monster
    co-owned by HR Rianne's 2nd Chance Hurricane Rebel

  7. #17
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    What this really boils down to is that it marks the beginning of winter. The NK gooberment knows that due to the usual crop failures and failed policies that they have NOWHERE near the food to feed their people for the winter. So they need 2 things- a common enemy and the attention of the civilized world. Rattle the sabers and make all kinds of wild threats and sure enough the Western gooberments will crater and send them food at little or no cost. Been an annual event for nearly 50 years- worked every time.
    Even one of the Chinese diplomats referred to NK using aggressive threats like this to return to the negotiating table with chips stacked in their favor ... and getting more aid, and then bugging off again.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Julie R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Orlean VA
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    What this really boils down to is that it marks the beginning of winter. The NK gooberment knows that due to the usual crop failures and failed policies that they have NOWHERE near the food to feed their people for the winter. So they need 2 things- a common enemy and the attention of the civilized world. Rattle the sabers and make all kinds of wild threats and sure enough the Western gooberments will crater and send them food at little or no cost. Been an annual event for nearly 50 years- worked every time.

    Bidness as usual regards

    Bubba
    ROTFLMAO....
    You rock Bubba, this is the best and most concise summary of Dear Leader's methodology I've read this year.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Hopefully Obama can appease them and stop this before it gets even uglier.

    If there are any Christians left on this site, pray....NOW!!

    And you "middle of the road independeants" do what ever it is you do to help stop this.


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101123...20101123092327

    stan b
    Hey, we always can send in the 50,000 or so of our military to invade N. Korea, however, we would probably have to use half of them to ward off the Chineese army. But that should not be hard to do because our Military is the best in the world.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Joe S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    When I was in SK in the winter of 2007-08, I had the chance to speak to quite a few GI's stationed up by "the line" during my trips into Seoul/Itaewon. The predominant opinion was that, if the North did a blitzkrieg attack, they had about 30 minutes to live. Our troops are basically a "speedbump" designed to slow the DPRK down just enough to weapons in the air.

    But you've got to remember just how close Seoul, Inchon etc is to the North. Even without that blitz, the devastation to industry & infrastructure that could be caused by just by artillery, rockets & short range surface to surface missles would quickly be in the billions, crippling one of the thriving economies that is friendly to the US, not to mention the phenomenal loss of life. Seoul alone has a population of over 12 million people.

    Think about how much SK production from Samsung, LG, Hyundai and so on drives our Western culture. Our troops and the money it costs to have them there are a small "insurance premium" compared to the effect on the world of losing the ROK. Imo, we get a lot more ROI on our money there than most places our troops are stationed.

    Let's hope that both Obama and Lee Myung-bak have the wisdom to deal with KJI/KJU appropriately. A carrier battle group is pointless without the resolve to use it and is a lot different than authorizing SEAL snipers to shoot pirates. I doubt that PBO could/would do anything without China's permision so what does that say about who the real superpower is now?
    Your comments make a great deal of sense.

    If North Korea really wanted a war, they would simply move their 1,000,000 member plus army over the border and that would be that. The only way to stop a shock-and-awe invasion would be the immediate use of tactical nuclear weapons. We know it. They know it. China knows it. Hell, everyone knows it. And then what?

    Your comment about the China superpower thing was interesting and I'm not really sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting because we coordinated a response with China we are not a superpower or because we coordinated a response with China they are a superpower?

    It's A Nuclear Issue Regards,

    Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •