The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: N Korea Attacks S Korea

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    not disputing that they havent heard of 9/11....but I would question the validity of the poll...what did someone go on camelback and ask the feudal warlords if they had heard about it...its not like they have Verizon or Sprint towers on every mountain, and I would guess that the 4g iPhone hasnt made it to the tribal highlands let alone the streets of the capitol..
    Wouldn't that make the argument that even LESS than 8% know about 9-11?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/wo...dlines&emc=a22

“At the moment China has limited influence,” said Cai Jian, a professor of Korean studies at Fudan University. “On one hand it’s unhappy with North Korean actions and its provocative behavior, but on the other hand it still has to support North Korea.”

The support continues because China fears that the vacuum created by a sudden collapse there would open the door to rule by South Korea, “and that will put an American military alliance on the doorstep of China.”
    This could strengthen the hand of critics of North Korea within China, some of whom are geographically closest to the border. Many leaders in northeastern China are frustrated over the steady flow of refugees escaping poverty. Others are disappointed that North Korea has dashed decades of hopes for cross-border trade or special economic zones along the border.
    “No matter whether it be within the party, among the people, or even within the military, China has grown increasingly sick and tired of North Korea’s rogue politics,” said a senior Chinese media commentator, who asked not to be named because of the delicacy of the issue. “But strategically, China’s kidnapped by it.”
    Probably China is the best candidate for keeping NK in line.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/wo...dlines&emc=a22

Probably China is the best candidate for keeping NK in line.
    ...and Bill Richardson.

Political Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    When I was in SK in the winter of 2007-08, I had the chance to speak to quite a few GI's stationed up by "the line" during my trips into Seoul/Itaewon. The predominant opinion was that, if the North did a blitzkrieg attack, they had about 30 minutes to live. Our troops are basically a "speedbump" designed to slow the DPRK down just enough to weapons in the air.

But you've got to remember just how close Seoul, Inchon etc is to the North. Even without that blitz, the devastation to industry & infrastructure that could be caused by just by artillery, rockets & short range surface to surface missles would quickly be in the billions, crippling one of the thriving economies that is friendly to the US, not to mention the phenomenal loss of life. Seoul alone has a population of over 12 million people.

Think about how much SK production from Samsung, LG, Hyundai and so on drives our Western culture. Our troops and the money it costs to have them there are a small "insurance premium" compared to the effect on the world of losing the ROK. Imo, we get a lot more ROI on our money there than most places our troops are stationed.

Let's hope that both Obama and Lee Myung-bak have the wisdom to deal with KJI/KJU appropriately. A carrier battle group is pointless without the resolve to use it and is a lot different than authorizing SEAL snipers to shoot pirates. I doubt that PBO could/would do anything without China's permision so what does that say about who the real superpower is now?
    I heard an ex admiral's analysis of the situation today. It made a lot of sense. Our movement of the Battle Group is not meant as a threat to North Korea. It is a signal to South Korea that because the US is involved, they are now constrained from taking action. The last thing anybody needs now is the two Korea's meeting on the battle field.

South Korea's industries are their concern not ours. Their problems with North Korea are their concern not ours. Yes they are an ally. And yes we should use diplomatic pressure, the UN, and even provide military hardware if they have the money to buy it.
    But this is the same nonsense we fall into every 10 years or so. The bottom line for the US is we have to learn how to mind our own business. If the Koreans want to blow each other up, then I guess we'll have to start making our TV's and Computers here again. Hell, we need the jobs anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    Your comments make a great deal of sense.

If North Korea really wanted a war, they would simply move their 1,000,000 member plus army over the border and that would be that. The only way to stop a shock-and-awe invasion would be the immediate use of tactical nuclear weapons. We know it. They know it. China knows it. Hell, everyone knows it. And then what?

Your comment about the China superpower thing was interesting and I'm not really sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting because we coordinated a response with China we are not a superpower or because we coordinated a response with China they are a superpower?

It's A Nuclear Issue Regards,

Joe S.
    i wouldnt be so sure of that scenario. we have constant satellite surviellence so they could not amass an invasion force without us knowing. i trust our military that they would not leave 29,000 troops + the s koreans in front of 1 million n koreans. and yes, i even trust obama in this situation. his comments today were the most nutsy i have ever heard from him, though thats not saying a whole lot....
    Last edited by david gibson; 11-24-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Banned

been thinkin' on this - and this is how i see it:

China is on N korea's side, they cant let that territory slide to our side and wont stand for it, so of course if we ever attacked NK we would have them to deal with. now - China aint so happy with their little brat brother doing all this sabre rattling, they see no need for it. but of course NK has its own agenda, and they are an irrational bunch. just look at their hair styles...

so, if NK were so bold/stupid to invade SK, i would bet dollars to donuts China will invade NK and occupy them immediately and disarm their forces so as to avoid a confrontation with the west and still achieve what they need - control over that region. then we are back to square one, but with China in control of the NK territory.

my point is China is only their good time friend, they only tolerate them for the time being and dont trust the little troll doll and his sons.. they will trample them in a heartbeat to achieve their own goals.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    i wouldnt be so sure of that scenario. we have constant satellite surviellence so they could not amass an invasion force without us knowing. i trust our military that they would not leave 29,000 troops + the s koreans in front of 1 million n koreans. and yes, i even trust obama in this situation. his comments today were the most nutsy i have ever heard from him, though thats not saying a whole lot....
    Really? I heard similar talk the summer of 1990...

Do you think it takes longer to amass an invasion force from 500 miles away or amass a response to a "detected" invasion from 5,000?

One can almost see how it might play out...due to the increased tension, North Korea announces they are holding a massive military exercise along the DMZ and instead of heading north the aggressor army heads south...

Leaving about 50,000 U.S. troops and the South Korean's in front of the North Korean army is exactly what has happened. The U.S. troops serve as trip wires. They are there to ensure a direct and immediate military response if the North should invade. Someone posted earlier here that they were "speed bumps." It is not a pleasant thought, but perhaps an accurate one.

Happy Thanksgiving Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Wouldn't that make the argument that even LESS than 8% know about 9-11?
    The literacy rate in Afghanistan is less than 30%. There are 3.7 television sets per 1000 people. I can see how this tribal nation of mountain people could be oblivious to the world around them, but who are we to point fingers about an uninformed population?

Today, more than 7 years into the war in Iraq, as many as 4 in 10 Americans still believe Saddam Hussein's regime was directly involved in financing, planning or carrying out the terrorist attacks on 9/11, even though there has been no evidence to support a connection.

July 2009 - A whopping 58 percent of Republicans either think Barack Obama wasn't born in the US (28 percent) or aren't sure (30 percent). A mere 42 percent think he was.

47% of Americans think that TARP was initiated by President Obama.