The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Changing World

Jeff, clearly, inflation, alone had an impact on what is now "low income" v. "middle income". But this article I think points to the fact that those $30K/year jobs that used to be available for low-skilled jobs, have disappeared. Like the receptionist who is no longer needed for answering phones, or the low-skill manufacturing jobs that disappeared. Even if $30K wasn't worth so much less today, there would be (are) less low-skill jobs available.

More on the topic of this thread, I believe that our loss of competitiveness in the global economy is directly linked to the growth in anti-intellectual and anti-scientific beliefs. This was a cornerstone of the Reagan presidency, and has become an increasing part of political campaigns since then.
    Actually, I don't blame the politicians as much as the teaching philosophy that decided "self esteem" was more important than actually learning well enough to have a grasp of the subject matter. Even now, teachers' unions object to "grading" teachers by how well their students perform.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Actually, I don't blame the politicians as much as the teaching philosophy that decided "self esteem" was more important than actually learning well enough to have a grasp of the subject matter. Even now, teachers' unions object to "grading" teachers by how well their students perform.

I am against putting all the blame on the teachers. I have a 12 year old. I hear parents of classmates complaining about too much homework and that the math is too hard for them to help with. They've actually shown up to board of education meetings to complain because there is too much work and the kids are doing poorly because they just can't keep up. Wish I was kidding, but I'm not... FWIW my daughter is in band and chorus so she doesn't have any study halls. Yet I don't see her doing much homework, and on her last report card she had straight A's.

Sorry but hearing parents complain about school being too hard just pee's me off.
    Last edited by Buzz; 11-24-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

They've actually shown up to board of education meetings to complain because there is too much work and the kids are doing poorly because they just can't keep up. Wish I was kidding, but I'm not... FWIW my daughter is in band and chorus so she doesn't have any study halls. Yet I don't see her doing much homework, and on her last report card she had straight A's.
    I agree, Buzz, parents also can be part of the problem.

I'd probably be one of the parents that had trouble with the math, too!

I know that lots of years ago when my son was taking Latin, I had trouble helping him because it was no longer taught the "old-fashioned" way.

Now, Latin, isn't exactly a subject that has to keep up with the changing world ... it seemed easier the old-fashioned way than the new way they were using at his school.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/op...lines&emc=a212

We've been talking a lot about how wealth is becoming concentrated in a smaller %-age of the population. Our changing world is part of the reason.
    What computers, hand-held devices, wireless technology and robots do in aggregate is empower better-educated and higher-skilled workers to be more productive — so they can raise their incomes — while eliminating many lower-skilled service and factory jobs altogether. Now the best-educated workers, capable of doing the critical thinking that machines can’t do, get richer while the least-educated get pink slips. (We used to have a receptionist at our office. She was replaced by a micro-chip.

While there is some truth to this, the argument that productivity and technology is a major cause of job loss and wage decline is very debatable. First of all, it ignores the fact that these "low skilled" jobs did not disappear. They simply migrated to other countries where workers are more easily exploited. It also ignores the major issue that while wages of workers (including high skilled technology) have declined, the total pay out for the very top has skyrocketed.

In other words the huge gains in productivity from all these highly skilled workers has gone to the elite who run the organizations, not to the workers of any skill level. For example, in the technology industry I work in, Managers and Engineers today, make less than we did 10 years ago. We are all more productive. Workers are more productive because of the technology improvements and they also make less than workers performing the same jobs 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I am against putting all the blame on the teachers. I have a 12 year old. I hear parents of classmates complaining about too much homework and that the math is too hard for them to help with. They've actually shown up to board of education meetings to complain because there is too much work and the kids are doing poorly because they just can't keep up. Wish I was kidding, but I'm not... FWIW my daughter is in band and chorus so she doesn't have any study halls. Yet I don't see her doing much homework, and on her last report card she had straight A's.

Sorry but hearing parents complain about school being too hard just pee's me off.

This reminds me of a true story that my ex daughter-in-law told about a phone call she got from the mother of one of her students. The mother told the teacher that she would have to find another assignment for her daughter because "she will never do that one". Seems the assignment was not something the student had any interest in.

Grand children seem to do okay in school in our family. Tough love is what we practice in our family.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

What claim does the education system have on children's time outside the scheduled school day? The ability to do large amounts of work in a timely manner is not being taught with the overextended school day. I personally believe it is a NEA tactic stressing quantity over quality in education.

& I do not sympathize with the bitching parents either. Somehow I don't believe they are the parents that drive our economy .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!